One little man, one little boat, one little bag of kit and one huge state park

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

george47

Banned
Aug 14, 2015
North Gulf of Mexico
Hi GGT, I am past the canoing but used to do it, our longest trip being 6 months. This was a lot of years ago in SW Florida -

4642287353_eaf7e9ef8d_b.jpg

Do you get to USA much? Anyone here can take my canoe if they get in the New Orleans area - some nice spots to camp out of it, lots of wildlife and fishing. We always mostly lived on fish when living remote, shellfish too. Will you be fishing or shellfishing on your Scottish trip?

And to be an bottom... you see the lightning flash - then count to the bang. Also those are bass not trout. Sorry, could not help myself.

Did you hear loons? The true sound of the American North. Utterly haunting and wonderful. I enjoyed the video, reminiscent of my past times on the water. Now I am on the water a lot - but just going out from the house and harbour for short times. I am totally a water person though, and would be miserable away from it.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
George why be such an bottom???

Just kidding ;)

When i was talking about the thunder and lightening thing in the video i questioned if i had it backwards but it was the first time i had thought of it since i was a kid, by the reserve of the calculation as i counted this too whilst laying in my bed questioning which way the folk saying went (if it is an accurate measure of storm distance) then the storms were over 40km away.

At the time i was aware the stripy headed fish were bass but i thought the smaller brown ones were brown trout (i am no master fisherman by a long shot), you are not the first to point this out, there is a good shot of a Loon calling and posturing in the first instalment of my video, they were a constant evening and dawn companion and there was loads of mating pairs about with chicks.

This was the first time i had been in USA since 24 years ago but i plan to be back in the far north US again summer next year for a longer more remote solo adventure, your canoe using offer is a great one, i will be fishing for mackerel when i Scotland and when i am on the sea lochs i will be foraging for shellfish every time the tide goes out

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Time to up my game, some may have noticed that the 4th video kind of ends abruptly, my cheapo camera fried inside it's waterproof housing in the sun, i just bit the bullet and bought a Gopro 4 silver, chest harness and a couple of spare batteries so hopefully this will help me get better footage next time

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Time to up my game, some may have noticed that the 4th video kind of ends abruptly, my cheapo camera fried inside it's waterproof housing in the sun, i just bit the bullet and bought a Gopro 4 silver, chest harness and a couple of spare batteries so hopefully this will help me get better footage next time

Nice :D I'm still umming and arring and you've just gone out and done it! You'd have thought I'd have learned my lesson by now lol

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
If anyone is struggling with my Geordie accent on the videos i have translated it into regular plain English for an optional subtitles track on the first video, over the next couple of days i will do the same for the other videos too

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
:You_Rock_ and Scottish people sound perfectly clear to me but if we both headed south of Hull the percentage of people understanding us with ease diminishes by the mile

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cheers Michael for some reason i am missing it like mad today, need some wilderness around me

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Obviously not the same thing, but reread your write up and watch the videos... you'll be partially there :D

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
your joking but i am reading it at least every two days and watching the videos almost as much

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Thats just it, I'm not joking.... I read your adventures quite often... in fact I think its the only real reading I've done since you posted it. Its a good read.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cheers Dewi i was more surprised it turned out like that than anyone, i used to hate writing book reports at school

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Writing something you have a passion about is different though. Comes off the page (or screen in this case) when its written with passion.

george47

Banned
Aug 14, 2015
North Gulf of Mexico
Where in the far North? We used to live in remote camps, working in the Far North - Life always will be a little bit empty knowing I will likely never get back for any living there again. The high North is the most magical place of all, and one never is over it. Stop by if you get in the South, some good canoing - lots of fishing. The BWCA is a really great place, with Quetico above, if you get to Central, North USA.

Must run to a talk on pruning fruit trees - Here is picture of my wife at a remote work camp kitchen. You kept the kitchen away from the sleeping because bears were bad.

4592171647_d5b2410b1f_b.jpg

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
That looks amazing, my next USA trip will involved an extended solo adventure in the more remote parts of the northern area of the Adirondacks, i am up in that area of USA as i have family in western Massachusetts so it works as a great basecamp of sorts, i also have pencilled in plans for parts of the wilderness areas of Maine.

Aye Colin did you notice you got a mention in my vids because of your reminder if there was no photo's it didn't happen?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That looks amazing, my next USA trip will involved an extended solo adventure in the more remote parts of the northern area of the Adirondacks, i am up in that area of USA as i have family in western Massachusetts so it works as a great basecamp of sorts, i also have pencilled in plans for parts of the wilderness areas of Maine.

Aye Colin did you notice you got a mention in my vids because of your reminder if there was no photo's it didn't happen?

I did 😉. I sat down last night and watched them all in order with some popcorn and the headphones on. Thank you, fame at last. With the bins on you really notice the absence of background noise when you get to the lake in video 3. A much quieter place.
Was a nice was to spend some time watching them back to back. Really have to subscribe to you on YouTube & give some positive feedback there too.
Again brilliant stuff mate and thanks for the shout out!

Sent from a Kindled Fire in a wood somewhere.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I did . I sat down last night and watched them all in order with some popcorn and the headphones on. Thank you, fame at last. With the bins on you really notice the absence of background noise when you get to the lake in video 3. A much quieter place.
Was a nice was to spend some time watching them back to back. Really have to subscribe to you on YouTube & give some positive feedback there too.
Again brilliant stuff mate and thanks for the shout out!

Sent from a Kindled Fire in a wood somewhere.

Cheers Colin that would be cool i seem to be getting plenty of views but very little feedback and only 10 subscribers so far.

Thanks Cameron it was a truly brilliant place to be.

Any help spreading the vids to a wider audience would be much appreciated, what is it the Youtube pros say,

Don't forget to subscribe, like and share :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE