One item for each essential...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Let's have another scenario!

Your on a canoe trip in Alaska. Your partner and you, decides to take a break and paddles in towards the land. You leave the rucksacks in the canoe and only have your SAK and a few other things in you trousers and shirt! Suddenly, a bear comes out of the woods and you both notice. Your partner hurries into the canoe again. But your partner sets off in the believe that you were in the canoe! The bear comes closer and you decide to run, cause it's a small 600 pound bear.

... You find yourself sweating and with wet feet and boots sitting on a treestump resting. The distance you just ran was 1 mile! But you escaped the bear and are alive............ yet! :roll:

What would YOU do in this situation??? :biggthump :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Sorry about the title! :?: Was about to post something else, but then finally decided to post a scenario... Didn't notice the title. Is that something Adi or Tony could fix maybe?? :roll: :wink:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
There are a few flaws in your basic scenario. People backcountry in Alaska carry some manner of firearm, both by custom, common sense and often regulation ( ie aviation survival kits.) Running from a bear, any bear is utterly the worst thing you can do. But, lets go ahead with your exercise. Since we are canoeing, it is not winter and temperatures are actually very warm during daylight. But night brings cold so A. Am I upriver or down relative to my partner's hasty retreat? I need to get to the river ASAP to regroup with him ( or her) I will need fire(s) both to alert him to my location and keep me warm in coming hours. I say fires, because 3 is the universal distress signal ( lots of air traffic in Alaska) and it will provide a superior defensive circle if our poor bear returns. That sweat will have to be vented ASAP to prevent chilling. My fire is going well, and I can add green material to increase smoke as I strip to allow my clothing to air dry. The smoke will keep the infamous hordes of flying insects off me, should it be that time of year. My companion should be returning to our location and observe the fires. If misfortune prevents this, I should be constructing an impromptu shelter of pine or fir and perhaps laying out my gill net and some fishing lines for supper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE