On Bacon Grill....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like Bacon Grill. I think most men of a certain age do (and a few women too) :)

Anyway - its getting harder to find in a tin. Tulip have started doing it in a silly plastic pot at about £1.50 for 200g. It has a much shorter shelf life in the plastic tub too.

Anyway - was in Lidl today. Their bacon grill is the same price, weighs 300g (an extra 50%) - and has a date of 2019 :) . Thats more like it as a "standby" food. Needless to say I stocked up.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
What is the difference between bacon grill and spam? its nitty picking about dubious products but..

And why can't we get single servings of spam pouches in the UK? same as pouches of chicken etc,

http://www.spam.com/varieties/spam-single-classic

http://www.tyson.com/Products/Premium-Chunk-White-Chicken-Breast-Pouch.aspx
http://www.sweetsuekitchens.com:8080/Products/

Spam fritters from the chippy are a dirty pleasure, never tried a corned beef fritter though. It was written in the bible It was destined for corned beef hash ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I believe its the seasoning and fineness of the meat grind that varies - would love to know in detail.

Corned beef is just good. Corned beef hash is superb, but so is a corned beef and pickle sandwich. Corned beef fritters are gooood. :eek:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I believe its the seasoning and fineness of the meat grind that varies......

Could you please read the ingredients label on the Bacon Grill and share it here? Spam is fairly simple: Ham, pork (other than ham obviously) and salt. I ask because some of the other brands of similar tinned luncheon meats here (Armor Treat for example) have MSG in them and Barbara can't have that.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It varies by make. This is the "Princes" brand

Pork (43%), Mechanically Recovered Chicken (16%), Water, Wheat Starch, Pork Fat, Salt, Milk Protein, Stabilisers: (E451(i), E412), Smoke Flavouring, Pepper, Antioxidant: E316, Preservative: E250

Tulip Brand is

pork, water, starch, pork fat, pork rind, salt, milk protein, stabilizer, smoke flavour, sugar, preservative, spice extracts.

No MSG anyway (E621)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I like it as well but our local Tesco don't do it. I was passing an Asda yesterday funnily enough found some there only they are the little tins and not the old Spam style square ones!

00f038baa4554364ac6bac5cbfbd4504_zps6328354a.jpg

9de3ee702099faf4d69b87538bb5cbb1_zps4d75c935.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have never liked that stuff, even when I did eat meat (longer ago than most folks on the forum have been alive :) but my husband thinks it's a brilliant treat.

Spam fritters, bacon grill sliced and fried and served on a roll with a fried egg; these are the occasional, "I don't think these are particularly good for you but, here you go", type meals that he thoroughly enjoys.

Thank you for doing the research that Lidl's is as good as the Prince's stuff :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Mum kept a couple of those oval tins of ham and a tin of chicken (the whole cooked chicken in jelly I mean) in the cupboard, but Spam wasn't kept. Sometimes there were tins of corned beef though; my Dad liked those on his piece.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do people really eat that stuff by choice? .

Yep, most of our food is so fresh that its time to table is measured in minutes, and its food miles are food feet. We cook elaborate foods from scratch - be it our home made, home canned sweet and sour sauce or the dozen fruit puddings, made with freshest of suet and simmered for 24 hours. That said, a sliced up tin of bacon grill, with fried potatoes, fried egg and a dollop of brown sauce after a cold morning outside is the food of the Gods! I really like the fact that its mechanically recovered meat too. That means that every last gram of meat is being used - which must be a good thing.

I think a lot of us started eating it in the old tinned compo rations and got a taste for it :)

That said, my wife has just tucked into two pigs trotters - a lot of people would think that strange too. But its much better than waste

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Love spam or bacon grill, chop it up and put it in a pot of kabuto noodles! Lovely, when I'm fishing its hard to resist the little cubes of spam! Spam sandwiches with piccalilli or branston! Hmmmmmmm

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i'm another bacon grill fan :approve: most people find me strange too, but when i look at other people that makes me feel good :lmao:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I must admit it's not something I've tried as the thought of bacon in a tin just seems wrong when I can have real bacon.

I've seen it plenty of times as Mr Fenna is another lover of it and a camp breakfast with him just about always involves bacon grill.

Maybe I ought to bite the bullet and get a tin of it and see what I'm missing out on :rolleyes:

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I must admit it's not something I've tried as the thought of bacon in a tin just seems wrong when I can have real bacon.:
Real bacon, a rarity, even most butchers have "wet bacon" with a short shelf life, and higher value per animal. I have found the occasional butcher with proper dry bacon with a good shelf life, dry, rind on, and a side of bacon out the back in case you need more, that being middle bacon, back and streaky in one rasher. But on the whole of it, not many seem to bother. It's got a very strong taste, and is completely different to what is sold in supermarkets as "dry cure". bar stewards

As for bacon grill, the ingredients say it all, pork then water, I found it very spongy out of the tin, but with all that fat in it, it is nice if you boil the water out of it, like in stuffing or the like. A lot lower in salt than corned beef if my taste serves me correctly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE