Oman?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I'm hopefully off to Oman in a couple of months. Anyone been? Any recommendations on places to visit, tips on things to do or kit to take etc?

It's going to be hot, damn hot!

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
Its very hot in Oman, I spent 2 months out there in 2004 and its 50 degrees C all day everyday!! Places of interest are Muscat which is the Capital I beleive, lots of Bizaares and stuff (and air con). The taxi drivers all have death wishes so be careful. There's a mountain region down south near the port (can't remember the name but its the only hilly bit of the country) which has its own ecosystem. You drive up the mountain and all of a sudden the desert stops and your surrounded by lush vegitation, very wierd experience. Apart from that its just miles and miles of sand with a straight road running through the middle of it (it is perfectly straight as I've tied my seatbelt through the steering wheel and sat on the roof). :lmao:

You going there for anything nice?

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi, Beer: I think it will not be Oman but "Oh, Man!" why am I here? Too many loonies there now for my blood (or after it). Had some friends there once working in the oil industry who told me there was no alcohol allowed....:( Told me they were flown out every couple of weeks to another location (can't recall where) and they'd load up on the wet, bubbly there.
Good Luck and watch your backside.

Bruce

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
WelshTriffid said:
Its very hot in Oman, I spent 2 months out there in 2004 and its 50 degrees C all day everyday!! Places of interest are Muscat which is the Capital I beleive, lots of Bizaares and stuff (and air con). The taxi drivers all have death wishes so be careful.

Yes I'm planning on going in June which will be the hottest time of year! I've been to the UAE a number of times so I have a rough idea what to expect :D . However I believe Oman can be quite humid as the moisture laden wind blows in off the sea and hits the hot air on land!

WelshTriffid said:
There's a mountain region down south near the port (can't remember the name but its the only hilly bit of the country) which has its own ecosystem. You drive up the mountain and all of a sudden the desert stops and your surrounded by lush vegitation, very wierd experience. Apart from that its just miles and miles of sand with a straight road running through the middle of it (it is perfectly straight as I've tied my seatbelt through the steering wheel and sat on the roof). :lmao:

I think the area you are talking about is the port of Salalah and the mountains of Dhofar? It's meant to be a really pretty area.

WelshTriffid said:
You going there for anything nice?

My company is sending me out there on a recce as we are thinking of starting safaris there in 2007. I'm the only one with any Middle Eastern experience so I get the chance to go! I'll be flying into Muscat and going around the northern area for about a week. I'm hopefully going to go up into the Jebel Akdhar, down to the town of Sur (where Sinbad the Sailor was based!!) and then down to the Wahiba Sands. The plan at the moment is to then fly south to Salalah and explore the Dohfari (not sure if that’s the correct term) region for a week.

directdrive said:
Too many loonies there now for my blood (or after it)

I think I'll be fine. The local population is 75% Ibadhi Muslim which is a particularly tolerant, forward looking and non fanatical (the rest are Christians, Hindu, Sunni and Shia). There is a heavy British influence in the area as the Sultan asked for our assistance in the 70's (?) to help quell a communist backed insurgency and IIRC the Omani Army (until quite recently) used to staffed with British Officers.

The Sultan has realised that the oil in Oman is running out and that the country will need to diversify it economy in order to survive hence they are now on a bit of a drive to boost tourism! Hopefully I'll be able to help! :)

Booze wise I think you can get it in the larger hotels, but to tell you the truth with the heat I think I'll be struggling to stay hydrated on water let alone drinking a diuretic! I'll miss a cold beer though ........ :rolleyes:

If anyone knows of anymore areas to visit or particularly spectacular things I should see them post them here ......

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Hydration will be easy, drink plenty of "Tanuf..Thrice purified" bottled water! I was there in 2001 for Saif Sarreea II and it was fantastic. I drove north from Salalah, 3/4 length of the country to create the Forward Support Group (FSG). Our Squadron constructed a Field Hospital and generally had a good time. We were in a part of the desert called the empty quarter, but there is loads going on if you look. Snakes, lizards, scorpions and of course the dreaded camel spider!

There are some interesting landscapes around that area too, but it is a rocky desert, although you may see a few sand dunes here and there. Of course, there is an awful lot of fine sand that gets into everything, so pack your undies somewhere where they won't get covered in sand, it could chafe otherwise!!

A good solar shower is ideal if you stay in the desert for any length of time, if you have sufficient water, and be careful when driving because those camels run everywhere. If you hit one at night, you're covered because the owner is at fault, but during the day it's your fault end of story!

And if you are going over the mountain, be careful. At certain times of year, they have a thing called the Kareef (sp?) and it is basically misty and foggy as hell. This cuts down visibility and leads to accidents, in fact all of the major accidents on Saif Sarreea II took place in the south of Oman, unfortunately with a few fatalaties as I remember.

There is a lot going on there, and I am sure you will enjoy yourself, just so long as you take reasonable precautions like not touching metal at midday with your bare hands, you'll be fine! Have a good time!!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have spent time around the mountains in the north of Oman, I crossed over from the U.A.E via Al Buraymi.

I havent had the chance to travel any further south though, Its on my list of things to do as I would like to explore Dhofar.

if you are familiar with the middle east then there is probably little new information I can offer, I have a couple of pictures though

natural shelter from the sun
omanbcuk.jpg

98oman_desert1.jpg

98P3270426.jpg

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
Haha :lmao: I was out there for Saif Sarreea II aswell spamel! Ahhhhh Tanuf........... There was so much of that stuff to hand that you could shower in it :p Never quite figured out why it was thrice purified (or why it had to be purified three times :confused: ). And if your going down to salalah make sure your taking your anti malaria pills (Only seen mossies at the port mind). And if you do want to get hold of some beer just ask an ex-pat, they can magic it out of the sand from my experience :D

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Beer Monster,

I was in the Oman in 94 mate, as said by others as long as you keep hydrated and don't worship the sun too long you should be OK. Oh but if your really lucky you could get Dysentery like I did :eek: , not the most pleasent experience I've had. The way the mountains rise from nothing is a very impressive sight. Spent a few days near Mirbat, the sea was lovely, even got to canoe with a dolphin and a huge turtle.

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE