Olive Windproof Smock Opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a coincidence, I was looking at these an hour or so ago; they certainly seem to be good value on the face of it.............

I'd be very interested as well if anybody has any knowledge of them or the seller..............Cotton gaberdine? what's not to like, eh?

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Not being pedantic but do smocks not pull over the head? They look like they button/zip all the way down.

If it doesn't have to pull over the head then there should be plenty on offer I would have thought. Maybe something in ventile?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Personally I prefer a zip, it's nice to let a bit of air in sometimes. I get your point though.

Ventile at £35 posted? Unlikely.

They seem like quite good value.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have one. They are a copy of the army issue windproof smock. They are made out of a similar material to the olive green lightweight trousers. It's not bad, not as robust as a issue smock though.
I have nikwax'd mine and use it in the spring/summer.
They are made by a company called Zara year products.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have one. They are a copy of the army issue windproof smock. They are made out of a similar material to the olive green lightweight trousers. It's not bad, not as robust as a issue smock though.
I have nikwax'd mine and use it in the spring/summer.
They are made by a company called Zara year products.

How's the sizing? The seller says the fit is generous. My chest is 40" with clothes on, so I was looking at one to fit a 42 - 44" chest (180/104). Sound about right?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Sizing is generous. I'm a 46 chest and got the 190/120 and is pretty baggy, easily room for a softie jacket underneath if needed. There's plenty of draw chords and elastic for adjustment.
I'd say the 104 would be a good choice for you.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sizing is generous. I'm a 46 chest and got the 190/120 and is pretty baggy, easily room for a softie jacket underneath if needed. There's plenty of draw chords and elastic for adjustment.
I'd say the 104 would be a good choice for you.

Cheers. I run a bit cold if sat about for too long (something I'm quite good at ;)), so I'd like to be able to put on a softie or fleece underneath. I think I'll order one and another bottle of Nikwax cotton proofer.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cant see ventile mentioned - just vented which is obviously different

Ventile isn't mentioned, you need to read the thread. The "smock" in the OPs link is gabardine cotton. It was the mention of Ventile in a following post got you confused.

Can I just say, sack it in and speak to Bilmo. You won't be disappointed.

Alright Rich? :)

I'm only looking for something to go on over the top that a I don't mind taking a bit of a hammering. I have a Keela Falkland Ventile that seems to keep me dry on wet conditions, but it's not wearing too well around sleeves and hems despite me not using it for rolling about round the campfire getting covered with ash and bits of leaf and sawdust.

I want easy on, easy off that I don't have to care about. If £35 buys me a couple of seasons, then that's a good price.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Bilmo's stuff is certainly top - notch, I'm lucky enough to own a smock he made for me, but you certainly don't go to a man with his skills with £35 in your hand!

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Bilmo's stuff is certainly top - notch, I'm lucky enough to own a smock he made for me, but you certainly don't go to a man with his skills with £35 in your hand!

And that's the reason why I haven't; respect for the mans skills. That would be when I've got a bit of money without the stress of paying bills :)

Kevj

Dec 31, 2013
Lancashire
Hi Badger

I notice your selling the Swedish Snow Smock - you've done some good alterations to that, it looks a good piece of kit. Why don't you alter that a little more and have something truly, to your liking?

I'm looking to 'probably' get a snow smock and spend some time customising and strengthening - just started to learn how to use a sewing machine and made my 1st stuff sacks! - A Gabardine tarp is next on the agenda!

Kev

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Well kev, there is a limit to my skills or patience. I would like armpit vents and an internal chest pocket and poachers pocket in the rear of the coat. The one in the link has this but I have also looked at Begadi smocks. I have a Dancam version and its fine and I'd like an olive one, but relatively pricey for me at the moment, hence the sale of all my other coats.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE