Identify a SAS smock.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johber

Jun 24, 2010
göteborg
Thanks for your input. The material is not ripstop as I know it, like this one for exampel: http://www.desertrat.se/storbritann...jacket-combat-s2000-sas-smock-svart-original/

The color is actually black though my camera is having some problems with it making it seem more blue.
Here is a closer look:
blackszz.jpg

The jacket originally had a label that looked something like this:
labelz.png
But with different text content off course. Its 170 long etc..

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The guy wearing it has a pixelated face. They get issued both on completion of selection. Smock and blurry face.

pre 1990 it was black masking tape to go over your eyes....

As for the smock Silvermans had sold them for years as did Survival aids, SASSkit use to custom make them for you too with all the bells and whistles added

I'm also not sure there has ever been an actual 'SAS Smock' issued.

The description has always been smock, combat, windproof, camouflage and the Nato number

IIRC the MOD Police got the black ones made up

johber

Jun 24, 2010
göteborg
Thanks for your input. I posted a reply yesterday with new photo. It needs to be approved by the mods. Does it always take this long before a post with photo gets approved?
The jacket is not ripstop as I know ripstop and it´s more black than blue.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
pre 1990 it was black masking tape to go over your eyes....

I'm also not sure there has ever been an actual 'SAS Smock' issued.

The description has always been smock, combat, windproof, camouflage and the Nato number

I do have a late 1970s/early 1980s sas smock, with nato number etc, and the label states 'Smock, SAS' - fairly sure it's a genuine issue item, but can't be 100% sure. It's very faded, with a much larger DPM print than current, as was all 80's DPM. My most recent issued DPM one was designated something like "Smock, Windproof, Woodland DP". And my MTP issue windproof (exactly the same design as the old DPM 'SAS' windproof (i.e. not PCS)) says something along the lines of "Smock, Windproof, MTP".

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Here's a pic of my SASS Gaberdine smock and the label that I must have had at least 12 years. Just thought it might be handy for comparison. As far as I remember they had some material left over from an order they had for the Canadian army and this one was made from that material.

SASS smock.jpgSASS Smock label.jpg

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I do have a late 1970s/early 1980s sas smock, with nato number etc, and the label states 'Smock, SAS' - fairly sure it's a genuine issue item, but can't be 100% sure. It's very faded, with a much larger DPM print than current, as was all 80's DPM. My most recent issued DPM one was designated something like "Smock, Windproof, Woodland DP". And my MTP issue windproof (exactly the same design as the old DPM 'SAS' windproof (i.e. not PCS)) says something along the lines of "Smock, Windproof, MTP".

I have a genuine issued one (i know it's real as it was given to me by a friend who is a serving member of said regiment) and the label says 'SMOCK COMBAT camouflage windproof' I can't quite make out the NATO number as the label is ripped.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
8415-99-132-XXXX

seems to be the number most quoted on the 'net with the last 4 didgets being the size

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Here's a pic of my SASS Gaberdine smock and the label that I must have had at least 12 years. Just thought it might be handy for comparison. As far as I remember they had some material left over from an order they had for the Canadian army and this one was made from that material.

View attachment 17254View attachment 17253
thats the same as my sass smock, though mine has extra long chest pockets that take an OS map, and zipped chest pockets like a combat jacket and compass pocket on one of the map pockets. They were great at adding stuff to their smocks. Maine gets a lot of use.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
thats the same as my sass smock, though mine has extra long chest pockets that take an OS map, and zipped chest pockets like a combat jacket and compass pocket on one of the map pockets. They were great at adding stuff to their smocks. Maine gets a lot of use.

Yes they certainly were, I had the compass pocket added to where the rank slide thing is, some straps so as I could roll the hood and a poachers pocket at the back :)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
On my previous issue one I ended up modifying it myself with attachment loops in the pockets, compass pocket, pit zips, a zip on the inner pocket, and a little tab on the shoulder to add a radio pressel, Took me ages (and then they go and change from DPM!).

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I've got several genuine issue smocks and out f a bunch of them one had much thicker but identical quality garbadine. Still genuine issue though. You could maybe look at plat a tac smocks, they market them as lightweight. Not sure what the quality is like and whether you can get a plain one.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
There's one on ebay at the moment, with the ventile clothing, well says its "genuine" in the blurb, but i used to buy surplus stuff in the 60's/70's, make "bullet holes" in it & sell it for treble what i paid, the still wet blood staines got me rumbled though.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE