Identify a SAS smock.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johber

Jun 24, 2010
göteborg
Bought this jacket about 20 years ago in a surplus store in Manchester. It has served me very well. As it only weighs 600 grams and is windproof it´s ideal for travel, cycling, hiking etc. It´s 100% cotton and dries quickly. It was quite expensive when I bought it, think it was more than a 100 pounds.

I would really appreciate help to identify this jacket. If possible the brand and fabric so I might find a new one. It might be gabardine? Have been searching the net and I bought this smock in black from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SAS-W..._Men_s_Coats_Jackets&var=&hash=item4601514273
It is a really nice jacket but the fabric is thicker and heavier compared to my old one.

Here is an image of my old jacket:
87469085.jpg
[/URL]
Would be grateful for help. Can post better images if that would help.

Last edited:

johber

Jun 24, 2010
göteborg
Hi all,
My first post and photo was erased somehow. I might have done it by mistake when editing? A bit embarrassing. It will soon be back up again.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Now that's weird - if you hover your cursor over the thread title in the forum, you get the preview of the disappeared first post but it's gone from the thread!

johber

Jun 24, 2010
göteborg
I actually dont offer any smart tips on smock identification. Instead I need help to identify a smock I bought 20+ years ago in Manchester in a surplus store near Arndale. I payed more than 100 pounds for it. It´s 100% cotton, size M, weighs 600g. Gabardine maybe, I´m not sure? It´s been great, lightweight, windproof and dries quickly. Now I really need a new one and I´ve searched alot without any luck. I bought one from http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/oakey3672/ and it´s a great smock for the price but not as lightweight as my original one.

Old one that start to get worn:
87469085.jpg

I´d appreciate help in identifying the old smock from the photo so I can find a new one. If anyone can guess the brand or maybe fabric. I can take better pictures if it helps.

Could this be the same thing?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAS-FOUR-...ctables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item5d37efddff

johber

Jun 24, 2010
göteborg
I rewrote the original post last night but it is not up yet. It has to be approved by the mods. We´ll see. I don´t think I wrote anything offensive.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It looks a bit like the old Survival Aids gabardine SAS smock - cant be sure though.

I was about to say the same thing John - I recall they did a navy one.

Go on then how do you i.d. and SAS smock?

Its a name for a style of smock - four bellows pockets, full zip, arm pocket and hood. One of the few times when using "SAS" isn't a sign of daftness - its the name of a style :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
its not sas and material is ripstop i think. sas has elastic cuffs and more pockets
Erm - the classic SAS smock does not have elastic cuffs - it has those as in the photo - has exactly that pocket line up too :)
Modern ones are somewhat different to classic smocks ...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Looks real enough though maybe its black? Not sure if its an issue one but silvermans do one in black still for about the same money. Does it say cwcw on the label anywhere? If so its a silvermans one. Specs are identical to issue type I think. Have a look at their website mate. I have an sass one in green and will be a sad day in our house when its time is up.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
600g is really lightweight. It must be gaberdine. For comparision my (albeit larger) SASS smock in ventile-like cotton is 980g.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
SASS in Lancaster were making black SAS style smocks back in the early/mid 90's- from various materials- I imagine a gaberdine version was possible. I gained some offcuts of material from them in the late 1990's, which included scraps of a very lightweight ripstop cotton in black. SASS have gone out of business now. My black SASS smock is of a much heavier weight cotton though.

If you want a genuine gaberdine smock in black, then an option would be to pick up a genuine DPM one off ebay and dye it. A few washes in and the print may start to bleed through though.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Its a name for a style of smock - four bellows pockets, full zip, arm pocket and hood. One of the few times when using "SAS" isn't a sign of daftness - its the name of a style :)

Cheers Red i was however referring more to the lack of the original post or photo in my "hoped for" humerous post. i'm well aware of the term for the style.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE