Looking for a new smock: Are these any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about getting myself a new smock in olive (rather than the camo one I have at present), so I've been looking on Ebay and have found a knock off of the Army's PCS smock, which is available in both standard and MVP versions.

I've been very happy with the performance of my Arktis smock, and am a bit worried that I'll be disappointed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...hash=item4af3249ea9:m:mfJWZZAF-YrFWkR5Dp8nxDw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...hash=item33abe48fe6:m:mfJWZZAF-YrFWkR5Dp8nxDw

I see that Helikon also do one of these (not waterproof though), and I've been quite pleased with some of the Helikon stuff I've had in the past....

Has anyone here any experience with any of the above smocks, or have any alternative recommendations (budget about £100 max.)

Cheers
Joe

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have one of these in black non MVP and I love it. I first spotted the prototype on a the rack in their shop and thought it looked really good. The father of the business spent a lot of time out with the manufacturer in the far east getting these right and I could not wait for them to get the final product in store.
I would wear it all the time if I could, although it has just been to cold of late to wear it all the time and it is also very water resistant. I will most likely buy an Olive Green version as well this year.
Great store and family who run the shop. If I need something I always try and put my business their way first.

ps I have had a few genuine army PCS jackets in my house recently and these are just as well made.

Last edited:

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
To be fair there are over 300 UK listings on E Bay for SAS smock and most of them are bog standard jackets. It's more about getting people to look at your ad.

I know why they are described like this but it is still not an accurate description. Just because it is common practice does not make it correct and the fact it is so common to prefix every piece of army surplus kit with "SAS" means your advert does not stand out anyway.

Rant over apologies for going of topic

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Some time back I came across a fold up 'SAS' chair in a surplus shop - how could they know that I wondered? - Turned out to be slightly damaged - 'Sold As Seen':lmao:

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
I know why they are described like this but it is still not an accurate description. Just because it is common practice does not make it correct and the fact it is so common to prefix every piece of army surplus kit with "SAS" means your advert does not stand out anyway.

Rant over apologies for going of topic

Agreed. 100%. In this case, given that the Army started to use DPM with the '66 pattern combats, it's a bit of a stretch to call this 'British Army' let alone SAS. Trades Descriptions Act?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Cheers. Let us know what you think.

The smock came yesterday, first impressions are good. The cut is very similar to the issued pcs smock and so is the sizing. Material is a kind of half way between the current issue thick cloth and the older arctic gaberdine kit, very nice actually. The hood has no wire peak but is roomy enough to fit a trapper hat under at-least, the material in the hand warmer pockets is quite thin but i prefer this as it seems to be very quick drying. There's a fair bit of Velcro on it but this can be unpicked reasonably easily. Pockets are a good size and the adjustment system is very good, better than the issue kit actually. I wish the buttons and Velcro on the Mk2 were the same color as the material but that's a very minor niggle. Overall the smock seems very good and well made, i'll get a proper review up once I've tested it.

Tonyuk

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
Time for an update. I eventually decided against the model I linked to originally, as I like the zip chest pockets and this model didn't have them. I ordered one from Helikon instead, which will hopefully be arriving sometime soon.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Interesting. Do you mean the 2 vertical zip pockets by the top pockets? If so the photo on the first link is wrong. These are exact copies of the current British army jacket and do have these pockets

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE