Old School Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
Highly illegal, fortunately!

I've tried spear fishing in the sea whilst on my hols and with a spear gun. I absolutely sucked at it. Mainly because as soon as I found a fish with the spear gun I ran out of air and rushed the shot.

I can't see the point of hunting game with a bow when we have high powered rifles. The chance of wounding an animal is extremely high. I've seen animals hunted by bow in the states. And while the skill involved is amazing (much more so than us UK hunters) it still seems to me like a waste of time and more so, very selfish. Over the years I've caught a few people on the estate I keep with bows hunting our deer. They've all been degenerate scum from council estates or caravans who have no idea...Typical.

Just a point to note. "Anti's" as we call them. Anti Hunting people who protest and publish articles about hunting all the time in their various magazines and in national news papers comb the internet for threads just like this. In the past they've been used against the forums or websites and they've succeeded in having them shut down. It's a shame, as everyone should be allowed the freedom of speech. But I'd be very careful.

LJ

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I can't see the point of hunting game with a bow when we have high powered rifles. The chance of wounding an animal is extremely high. I've seen animals hunted by bow in the states. And while the skill involved is amazing (much more so than us UK hunters) it still seems to me like a waste of time...

Seems like an odd choice of words; "waste of time." After all the point of sport hunting (or "sport" anything for that matter) is to spend "time" doing something you enjoy. I enjoy bowhunting very much personally.

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
Seems like an odd choice of words; "waste of time." After all the point of sport hunting (or "sport" anything for that matter) is to spend "time" doing something you enjoy. I enjoy bowhunting very much personally.

As a fellow hunter we obviously have a lot in common. Unfortunately though, I do think it's an extremely disrespectful form of hunting. I can see the need for it in primitive cultures, though. I spent my youth growing up in East Africa (my Dad worked for a gold mining company out there for nearly 7 years and we got to tag along) and the indigenous population hunted with bows, they had nothing else for it. However, as a recreational "sport" as you put it, I can't see the need for it. For me sport is about enjoying the thrill of the stalk, setting up for the shot and dialling in the scope. Knowing full well that the animal will go down with the first shot. If I have any doubt whatsoever I won't take the shot. I can then enjoy eating the animal, knowing it did not suffer. Can you say the same about hunting with a bow? The answer is, no, you cannot.

For me, it does seem like a waste of time. That's JUST ME though. I still completely respect your opinion and form of hunting. After all, bow hunting is an art and I'd say your skills in the field easily outclass mine...

LJ

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I hunted deer for many years here in the U.S. with good success with a bow but I have to confess, it was a compound bow. I also shot competition regularly in the field and the range and when I loose an arrow at 30 yards I have just as much confidence as someone shooting a rifle at 100 yards that I will have a successful hunt. In fact, I challenged a hunting partner to a shooting match at 40 yards, he with a 22 rifle, shooting offhand, and me with my compound. He was more than a little shocked when he lost. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As a fellow hunter we obviously have a lot in common. Unfortunately though, I do think it's an extremely disrespectful form of hunting. I can see the need for it in primitive cultures, though. I spent my youth growing up in East Africa (my Dad worked for a gold mining company out there for nearly 7 years and we got to tag along) and the indigenous population hunted with bows, they had nothing else for it. However, as a recreational "sport" as you put it, I can't see the need for it. For me sport is about enjoying the thrill of the stalk, setting up for the shot and dialling in the scope...

I have stalked on occasion but it's rare. My normal method is to hunt from a stand; simply pick a likely spot and wait for the game to come to me. When I was a teenager gun hunting, deer usually were hunted with dogs and slug loaded shotguns (no scopes involved) In fact many areas still ban center-fire rifle hunting because of human population density. The local Air Force Base allows hunting on most of it's vast (approximately 30 miles wide by 60 mile long) reservation. However it divides that reservation into different management areas with different weapon requirements; only bows are allowed in certain areas.

To me the absolute most pleasurable hunting is spending a day with a good dog and shotgun in a wood full of Bobwhite Quail. Granted that's a far cry from bowhunting. LOL

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually I need to correct my last statement. Quail hunting WAS my favorite. At the moment my new favorite is ANY hunting with my 10 year old Godson. We're looking forward to squirrel season opening this Fall. In preparation I've been trying to help him improve his marksmanship with his 22.

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
Actually I need to correct my last statement. Quail hunting WAS my favorite. At the moment my new favorite is ANY hunting with my 10 year old Godson. We're looking forward to squirrel season opening this Fall. In preparation I've been trying to help him improve his marksmanship with his 22.

Now that sounds superb.:) keep us updated on how he gets on.

LJ.

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Try a lurcher, man and dog have hunted in partnership since the dawn of time. Probably since before the first bow was made. Unfortunately we are now restricted to rats and rabbits in this country but if you want to try primitive hunting then find someone local to take you out with the dogs.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I used to love hunting raccoons with dogs. I don't even know anyone who still owns coon dogs now (not personally at any rate)
Still know a few who make deer drives with dogs though; and of course there's nothing better than watching a good bird dog work the covies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE