Old School Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its only really bow hunting and weirder forms of fishing that are illegal now. I'm sure theres many a person around who has ferreted, snared, used a catapault etc.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Does the bowhnting thing include all species? was thinking of trying bow fishing soon? I know all mammals are illegal but what about bow fishing? on private reservoir on my land.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have; but not with a home made bow. Mine is a 45# Bear recurve. Rabbits mostly. I've tried deer but as yet not been able to get within bow range (unless of course I was armed with a gun or if season were over) If you want a good read on the subject get "The Archer's Bible" by Fred Bear. A few articles in it of some of his more interesting big game hunts and safaris.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have, but not in this country.
It's suffice to say that I possessed neither the speed or accuracy to secure a meal.

Does the bowhnting thing include all species? was thinking of trying bow fishing soon? I know all mammals are illegal but what about bow fishing? on private reservoir on my land.

I'm fairly sure that bow fishing is only legal in salt water (i.e. at sea) and not off a fixed man-made platform like a jetty or similar.

What about a rabbit stick as a primitive hunting method. legal or not?

Chris

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've bowhunted small game, birds, rabbits etc in Australia.

What do you want to know?

I can tell you that 'blunts' make a heck of a mess of a pigeon-sized bird, and that close stalking is essential. The 'target' is pretty small under all those feathers.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Bow hunting is illegal, but hunting with guns isn't? Wierd.

Is it legal to hunt with throwing sticks, spears, darts, boomerangs:p or atlatl type jobbies?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Bow hunting is illegal, but hunting with guns isn't? Wierd.

Is it legal to hunt with throwing sticks, spears, darts, boomerangs:p or atlatl type jobbies?

I'll stick my neck out and say yes, you could be nabbed for cruelty. A catapult for small game may be something you could look at, perhaps not as primitive as you had in mind?

Within certain defined limits bow hunting is legal here in Hungary, but a rifle just seems more practical (IMHO).

:)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Also how primitive is primitive? I've hunted deer with muzzle loaders. A Hawkin reproduction to be specific.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE