Old Ray Mears Series.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
-Switch- said:
Hey! Who moved the thread? ;) :)

Ok, I admit, it should have been here in the first place but for this to work it was going to need maximum exposure and the media forum doesn't get that many hits :( I think that's where they fell last time, not enough people knew about it.

I don't suppose there's any chance, just as a one off for a good cause, and if I pleade and grovel enough that Admin might possibly allow it to be moved back at all? Just for the sake of getting as many people interested as possible? :) :)

I totally understand if that's not ok - after all, rules is rules.

I agree took me ages to find this again, letter sent. :confused:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Ray Mears' World of Survival is currently showing on Sky on the UKTV channels. Never seen the tracks series though. If they won't release either of the series on DVD maybe it is a possibility that they will show the series on TV.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Not really. Just say that you saw the programs on TV and think they're great and would love to own them on DVD.

It's been a week now so if I don't get anything back from the BBC in the post on Monday then I'm sending another letter :D

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
No reply from either BBC or Woodlore as of yet :rolleyes:
So they've both got the privelage of recieving yet another letter from me :D
I hope you people are still sending them off? If the BBC gets letters every week from the same people saying the same thing they'll have to take notice.
Either that or they'll think we're all mental and totally ignore us ;)

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I'll bung 'em a letter next week.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at some point in the future the whole of the BBC back catalogue will be available to watch 'online' or the like. I'm particulary keen to see again:

The 'Duncan Dares' with Lofty Wiseman
The original 'Surviving the Iron Age' [a squillion times better than the recent one]
and 'Stay Alive with Eddie McGee' (ITV not BBC - got me interested in the whole outdoors lark)

Mark

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
mark wood said:
I'll bung 'em a letter next week.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at some point in the future the whole of the BBC back catalogue will be available to watch 'online' or the like. I'm particulary keen to see again:

The 'Duncan Dares' with Lofty Wiseman
The original 'Surviving the Iron Age' [a squillion times better than the recent one]
and 'Stay Alive with Eddie McGee' (ITV not BBC - got me interested in the whole outdoors lark)

Mark
Tell us more about the Duncan Dares Lofty Wiseman and the Stay alive Eddie McGee episodes please Mark!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Lofty did a series called survival team which took people of varying ages, taught them the skills of survival, and then put them on an island where they had to fend for themselves. It was a brilliant programme and my dad had it on video until a few years ago when the tape snapped one day. Somebody else here remembers it aswell because he told me about a seal culling incident that was not shown on the programme.

Peter Duncan was absolutely great, but I never saw his programme. My first 'grown up' book was an Eddie McGee book, I just couldn't figure out from the explanation how he made grass rope. Maybe I would understand it better nowadays!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Spamel,damn it be great if we could get repeats of all these programmes!

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Peter Duncan was a Blue Peter presenter in the 80's who left and had a short series where he did 'adventurous' things (I only watched the LW one although I think there was one on tightrope walking).

He did two episodes with Lofty Wiseman and the nostalgia for me is that the format and locations were the same as the courses I did with Lofty a short time later (basic in '87, advanced in '89). There were basics on shelters, fire making etc and then some travelling bits and it finished on the seashore. Both Peter and Lofty used Wilkinson Sword survival knives in the programme (Lofty told me afterwards he didn't like it - his broke [Wilkinson acknowledged the early ones were prone to breaking but quickly fixed it]).

Stay Alive with Eddie McGee was a late seventies kids programme on Yorkshire Television. Eddie took a load of inner city kids into the woods and showed them a range of survival skills from rope making to shelter building. Eddie also showed how to make a survival kit in a matchbox and I carried one round with me as a kid for years! I really like Eddie's stuff, his two books 'Stay Alive with Eddie McGee' and 'The Complete Book of Survival' are very good. Its a shame he never got more TV exposure.

Mark

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Have a listen to Mudfootball by Jack Johnston - the similarities to the Tracks theme tune are quite uncanny!

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
Country tracks is on tonight, he's in the Cairngorms playing in snow. UKTV Docs sky 532/533.

...and now I'm watching it what the hell is going on with that tash he is wearing :)

..... it lasted 10 mins????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE