Old Ray Mears Series.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
QDanT said:
I have to say though, I'm a little dissappointed that over 200 people can look at this thread and only 13 say yes... :sigh:

Maybe 200 people don't like Ray Mears I don't :eek:

Good point :D

But perhaps those 200 people who don't like him would write to the BBC anyway? If nothing else than as a gesture of good will to those who do like Ray and would love to see more of his previous work? ;) :D

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Ok people, this thread has been up most of the day and I've had no word from any of the Mods or Admin. I can't believe that no Mods would have looked at this thread at all, so I'm assuming that they have and it isn't a problem to post the address (it's publicly available from the BBC anyway so I don't think there'll be a problem from them.)

The address to write to is:

The Commissioning Editor
BBC World Wide Ltd.
Woodlands
80 Wood Lane
London
W12 0TT

Write to that address and tell the chap that you'd very much like to see Mr Mears' old series 'Tracks' and 'World of Survival' released on DVD.

This is a copy of the letter I have already written:

Dear Sir,
Over the past year I have become aware of a program called 'Bushcraft' presented by Ray Mears which I have enjoyed very much, as it reflects the hobby of bushcraft that I have practised for many years. I have looked into Mr Mears previous work and found his other series of 'Bushcraft' which I have purchased on DVD, along with all three series of 'Extreme Survival' which I have also enjoyed.
While researching Mr Mears I discovered that he was also the presenter of a program I enjoyed immensely in the mid '90s called 'Tracks'.
I also discovered that'Tracks' is not available to buy on DVD, along with his other series 'World of Survival'.
This is a great pity as 'Tracks' is often regearded in the bushcraft community as the best series he has made.

I have contacted the BBC regarding this matter and they replied giving me this address and saying that you would be willing to consider the release of the 2 series on DVD.
It would be fantastic to see both of these programs available to buy on DVD, and I know that I am only one among hundreds of practitioners of bushcraft that would be delighted at the chance to own a copy of these two series.

Would you be willing to commission both 'Tracks' and 'World of Survival' for public release on DVD?

I thank you for your time and hope that the result of this letter is a good one. Many thanks.

Yours faithfully.

I've also written to Woodlore to ask for support from them and from Ray in particular.

If you're sending a letter, obviously don't do it exactly the same as mine, it's there to let you know the kind of tone I'm using and roughly what to say.

Thanks alot for doing this people, and let's see if we can get a good result! :D

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Thanks for the good response people :)
Hopefully some of the people who've viewed but not replied will still be writing a letter as well.

I've done mine and it's been posted, along with my letter to Woodlore asking for help.
If I don't get a reply from the BBC within a week then I'll be sending another one at the end of each week untill I do :D

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
-Switch- said:
Yeah, I know ;)
Sorry didn’t see that bit. :eek:
Been one of those days just spent three hours on buses getting home from Glencoe. Plus the hangover doesn’t help. :rolleyes:
I’ll send a letter to.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Hey! Who moved the thread? ;) :)

Ok, I admit, it should have been here in the first place but for this to work it was going to need maximum exposure and the media forum doesn't get that many hits :( I think that's where they fell last time, not enough people knew about it.

I don't suppose there's any chance, just as a one off for a good cause, and if I pleade and grovel enough that Admin might possibly allow it to be moved back at all? Just for the sake of getting as many people interested as possible? :) :)

I totally understand if that's not ok - after all, rules is rules.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE