old knife - discard?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Get a new whetstone from a cheap shop. I have one near me that charge a couple of quid and sometimes have aluminium oxide stones. When you have a new flat stone give it a 5 minute soak and have a play at getting this sharp the proper way. Or you could have a look at British Red's £5 sharpening thread. Either way it's a necessary skill to have if you like knives.

I wouldn't get rid of it or put it in a drawer, they're handy to have when sharpened properly. Don't go into town with it in your pocket but if you're out bushwhacking I don't see why a pocket knife wouldn't be justified. In North America these are the knives we had as kids and teens because they worked well but didn't cost a fortune. Or like Flexo said, it makes a great beater knife in the workshop. Shame to have it sat there not being used!

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
Get a new whetstone from a cheap shop. I have one near me that charge a couple of quid and sometimes have aluminium oxide stones. When you have a new flat stone give it a 5 minute soak and have a play at getting this sharp the proper way. Or you could have a look at British Red's £5 sharpening thread. Either way it's a necessary skill to have if you like knives.

I wouldn't get rid of it or put it in a drawer, they're handy to have when sharpened properly. Don't go into town with it in your pocket but if you're out bushwhacking I don't see why a pocket knife wouldn't be justified. In North America these are the knives we had as kids and teens because they worked well but didn't cost a fortune. Or like Flexo said, it makes a great beater knife in the workshop. Shame to have it sat there not being used!

Thansk :) I am definitely keeping it, perhaps I should pull the sharpening question of to a new thread.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
It looks like an early version of a late sixties Buck 110 'Folding Hunter' or a decent copy, does it have any markings?. The design has not changed for fifty years and has therefore stayed the test of time.

My Buck 110 is a beast to sharpen but then it lasts for decades. But there again it was a gift from a lad who said that I had saved his life (I did, at least from being paraplegic) so whilst it is my favourite in the field it gets special treatment and not abused. Getting to be a collectors item in good condition (which this one is not) they are getting silly prices in the US.

A good solid workhorse, use it.

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
It looks like an early version of a late sixties Buck 110 'Folding Hunter' or a decent copy, does it have any markings?. The design has not changed for fifty years and has therefore stayed the test of time.

My Buck 110 is a beast to sharpen but then it lasts for decades. But there again it was a gift from a lad who said that I had saved his life (I did, at least from being paraplegic) so whilst it is my favourite in the field it gets special treatment and not abused. Getting to be a collectors item in good condition (which this one is not) they are getting silly prices in the US.

A good solid workhorse, use it.

The only marking is this one:
Ud0uo.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Aldis are selling their famous and excellent 4 sided diamond sharpening "stone" at the mo - less than £8......
That is a decent enough copy of a Buck to warrant sharpening and using.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'll go against the wind and say throw it away. When I say throw it, I mean donate it to someone who will put it to use.

This is just my personal preference as I no longer trust locking knives since a jack pike folded on my fingers. Im sure it fractured my bone!

The clue is in the brand !!..... I have an old whitby that is very similar that lives in my toolbox. I say give it a fettle and put it to use !!

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
Aldis are selling their famous and excellent 4 sided diamond sharpening "stone" at the mo - less than £8......
That is a decent enough copy of a Buck to warrant sharpening and using.

stopped off at aldi to pick one up but they didnt have any :( so picked some food up got home, and realised that there is no aldi near me and i had been to lidl :p I will go look for one tomorrow in my lunch break..

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The only marking is this one:
Ud0uo.jpg

That definitely is not a Buck! The style is a good copy but I would be suspect of the materials and workmanship from Pakistan. Interestingly Pakistani factories also make Khukuri knives but they too are far, far less desirable than a true Nepalese one.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The clue is in the brand !!..... I have an old whitby that is very similar that lives in my toolbox. I say give it a fettle and put it to use !!

I've never had a real Buck or Case fail me either. I'm sure they're not the only good brands but they are the only ones I've tried lock-blades from. The Buck 110 was THE knife to have for a toolbox for decades over here in the US. I still don't trust very many non-locking folders over 2 or 3 inches and once it's over 4 inches I'd rather have a fixed blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE