Old Axe Modification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Cleaned up this old rusty Kent pattern axe today which looked quite good when i finished,however having bought a new Dewalt grinder recently i thought i would change the blade shape into something different , sharpened it up,added a handle to it and ended up with this little axe. I was going to throw the head away as it looked kaput anyway,but with a little work i'm glad i didn't. When i worked with the grinder i was careful not to ruin the temper of the blade.Cheers.
Darren

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I've got the exact same axe head in a box in the basement, might have a crack at doing something like this too.

Really nice piece of work there mate, hope it serves you well. How long did it take to carve off the waste to find that shape under all the rust pitting?

Thanks Biker, took about 10 minutes each side to carve out the shape with the grinder stop and start to avoid ruining the temper,the head was soaked in vinegar for a while(before grinding) ,ground down in places ,wire bristle thing on a drill and a bit of a polish after.Thanks.
Darren

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I don't usually like kent pattern modifications but that is really nice. - Almost viking looking.

Andy

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Good work. I like the style of the new creation. It looks quite similar to the GB Wildlife hatchet, but with a more evenly balanced blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE