oiled leather?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Can any of you good people point me in the direction of where i can aquire some oiled leather?
i only need enough to make a coupe of tinder pouches and two crook knife blade covers but my mind has gone blank as to where i can get some
cheers in advance
Sam

I've got some dark brown oiled leather - approx 3mm.

How much are you after?

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
dunno specific sizes as i said enough to make couple of tinder pouches and couple of sheaths for crook knives ...

Do you have a style in mind for the pouches and sheathes? If you know the style the quantity needed can be estimated. What are the approximate dimensions of the crooked knife/knives?

... i havent done much leather work before so i am making this up as i go along in all honesty

It can become addictive :eek: :lmao: .

Do you have a style in mind for the pouches and sheathes? If you know the style the quantity needed can be estimated. What are the approximate dimensions of the crooked knife/knives?
style for tinder pouches is very similar to a 50gram tobacco pouch so almost a leather envelope
crook knife wise one is the archetypical frosts spoon knife the other is the one made and sold by jojo a while ago
style for the crook knife sheath i was thinking of a slip over to just cover the blade so i dont get a nasty suprise when i rummage through my pack and so nowt gets cut when i have something else in the same area as the crook knife

It can become addictive :eek: :lmao: .
yeh i have heard that :)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
style for tinder pouches is very similar to a 50gram tobacco pouch so almost a leather envelope ...

About 5x3" when closed? With no expanding panel or welt ... would need a strip approx 13x5" - 4" for the front + 4" for the rear + 4" for the flap + 1" for the bits between front and back and back and flap. Using 4" instead of 3 gives a fold over to help prevent water ingress - and gives you a 3" deep pouch.

... crook knife wise one is the archetypical frosts spoon knife the other is the one made and sold by jojo a while ago ...

A slip over for the frosts ... 4x3.5" should be more than enough - frosts do a few shapes and sizes, so I'm probably overestimating on this - to do a welted sheath.

Can you provide a link to the jojo crook knife?

Edit:
... Or you could try this page ...

It's the dark brown stoned oil that I have here. I have two different types - one is smoother than the other. I can't do pics at the mo*, but I can find someone with one somewhere

* Mine took a tumble last Thursday :yikes: :censored:

Last edited:
About 5x3" when closed? With no expanding panel or welt ... would need a strip approx 13x5" - 4" for the front + 4" for the rear + 4" for the flap + 1" for the bits between front and back and back and flap. Using 4" instead of 3 gives a fold over to help prevent water ingress - and gives you a 3" deep pouch.
yeah thats about right for the measurements

A slip over for the frosts ... 4x3.5" should be more than enough - frosts do a few shapes and sizes, so I'm probably overestimating on this - to do a welted sheath.
sounds good to me

Can you provide a link to the jojo crook knife?
cant find one i'll take a photo of it and post it up tomorrow if thats ok? its similar to this one- http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/717-Large-Crooked-Knife-Blade-Right-handed/

thanks very much for the help
leon 1 thank you for the links too
Sam

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... cant find one i'll take a photo of it and post it up tomorrow if thats ok? its similar to this one- http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/717-Large-Crooked-Knife-Blade-Right-handed/ ...

Not a problem :cool:

... thanks very much for the help
leon 1 thank you for the links too
Sam

As per the edit in a previous post ... - I should have done a separate post :eek: .

EDIT 2 ...

About 5x3" when closed?

I've been playing* since I posted and I reckon 5x3 is a bit small. 6x4 (when closed) works quite nicely though.

* AKA making a few.

Last edited:
right apologies for state of photo's its not my strongest point
crook001.jpg

and a different view point
crook005.jpg

as for tinder pouch measurements you've more experience at this malarky than me so if thats what you suggest i will bow to your knowledge on the matter :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
right apologies for state of photo's its not my strongest point ...

I have the same problem - and even more so since the camera decided to impersonate Greg Louganis :eek: .
I'm guessing that the blade is roughly 3.5x0.5x0.08" , so a piece 6x2" should be ample.

... as for tinder pouch measurements you've more experience at this malarky than me so if thats what you suggest i will bow to your knowledge on the matter :)

The dimensions depend on what you want and need - I have one that's about a foot square (when rolled out) that I carry when I go to areas that I don't know well.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a camera so that I can stick a pic of the 6x4 pouch I made yesterday - you'll be able to see whether reality fits with your minds eye :cool: .

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I protect crook-knife blades by winding a strip of leather around them. An off cut of thin leather a couple of mm wider than the blade is what you need and maybe a foot long. Hold the knife in one hand and grip one end of the leather strip with your thumb under the handle. Run the strip up the blade, over the top and then kink it off to one side. Then wind it around the blade 'mummy-style' and finish by tucking the strip thru' itself (like you would to finish off hanked cord). Easier to do than explain in words. Ben Orford supplies his crook/spoon knives like this and I've adopted it for my others. Not quite as neat as a sheath. But effective and easy! By the way, have you done your Woodlore courses yet?

Cheers, Steve.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... thats the exact version of what i had in mind ...

The pouch is a strip 6x14" - give or take a couple of gnats whiskers.
The curves on the flap are 1.5" rad.

For enough leather to make two pouches you'd be looking at a little over £5 (12x14") - I almost put a pocket in the flap for flint and steel etc.

2" square foot (£10) should provide plenty enough leather to do the two pouches and the two sheaths - obviously that's depending on the pattern for the crook sheaths - leaving a bit to play with :cool: . Have a look for FGYT's spoon knives. He does a brilliantly simple sheath for them :notworthy .

How are you sorted for the other bits you need to make the pouches/sheaths?

EDIT:

Probably obvious, but ... P&P isn't included in the prices mentioned above.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
other bits? hmmm i have a leather needle and that is the total of what i have :confused: ...

Blunt, rounded pointy end or sharp and triangular? - first is a stitching needle and the second, a glovers needle.

What you need will depend on the style you want the pouch(es) to be - laced/braided (as per the pics below) or sewn. Mine was punched with a 5/32" three prong angled lacing chisel and laced together with 1/8" leather thong.

I'd consider purchasing either 'The Art of Hand Sewing Leather' or 'Lacing & Stitching for Leathercraft' both by Al Stohlman. I did, it gives a really good base to build from.

Hole placement can be done three ways - by eye, with a stitching wheel ... or with a fork from the kitchen draw ;) .

Holes can be made with an awl, a punch (or punch set), a thonging chisel ... or a nail ... a modded flat blade screwdriver etc.

Waxed thread or lacing depending on how you want the pouch to look - waxed is important! The threads I use are natural coloured artificial sinew and waxed brown poly - the sinew can be stripped down into six usable strands and the waxed poly down to five.

I have most of the above here if you're interested - and can get hold of the rest quite easily.

... rank amatuer would definately describe the level of experience i have.

Pretty much the same here - I'm constantly amazed at the work and knowledge that folk display on here :notworthy .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE