Oh to be a Celt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
As you can see from my profile i have not posted on here in several months but i have steadily followed the advice and wisdom written on this site.

I am alone at the moment, i live by myself and work by myself as a tube driver. My life is quiet. There is no mobile constantly sending me texts, there is no steady flow of people at my door. I look to the North and the East and the West and the South and see unhappyness in people. A society without a purpose and a life without meaning.

It's time like these when a man bears his soul and looks to the heavens, to his god /s for guidance. Also a man can begin a journey inside himself. I don't see a future for man on it's current bearing so one tends to regress, retrace his steps through time to find a point a place with meaning a place where he is happy and whole. Is there honestly a one among you who can see the race of man existing in the next millenium?

By way of explanation: Do not be alarmed at my sober remarks, this is just the parchment of my mind. Do not let your comfortable surroundings introduce vocabulary into your head, words that seduce and condem. Think with your heart.

Man has lost the will to survive.
Through the ages we have grown fat off the land. Once warrior stomaches that were fed with hunted meat are now forced to churn chemical sludge.
Muscles that were strong and taught are now wasted and can barely carry our bodies through the day.
Once heightened senses that were in tune with the earth and each other are now dull and more die with each new generation.
Where once the spirit soared with eagles and roamed with wolves it is now clinging on to reality and hope is all it has left.

The earth used to be whole, saturated with goodness, a reason for everything and everything for a reason. A place where man could live in harmony with each other and the earth untill the sun consumed it. But like i said, man has grown weak. Machines labour for us, we are told how to think, what to wear, how to act, how to be!. I will not remark on politics but i look at recent events, signs from nature if you will and can't help but wander how man could not survive this in his native land ( if things were different ).

The governments squeeze and bleed every last drop of goodness from the earth and the people gorge, scoffing themselves into a stupor and polluting everthing in their wake. Bit by bit each new civilization has become more greedy. Bit by bit the earth's resources have been pillaged in the name of technology and science and evolution. And bit by bit man and mother nature becomes weaker.
And as the world fights over the last drops of the earths blood the biggest wars are still to be fought.

I do not pretend we can stop this path, only nature can do that with one last blow. We as men were blinded a long time ago and now our will is too weak to open our eyes too weak to stop the machine called society.
So, i build my arc. An arc inside my mind where i can gather the things that matter two by two and take it to the highest point to wait for the flood.
This is what Bushcraft means to me for i believe the earth will save enough of her goodness for those with the will to survive. And i shall not morn technology, i will not weep for electricity and i will be glad when the machine is brocken!.
Then we can embrace life!

Corr..... Glad i got that out!, Sorry to be so morbid :) , just one of those days i suppose :D
I am going a bit ...'native' lately though and no i don't hate everything :D

Why a Celt? you ask, well it's partly due to the hypocrisy in me and partly due to a childhood with the tales of Slaine a comic book hero who wandered the land fighting demons with rage fuelled by warp spasms :D
just put Slaine into google images and you'll see his pearly whites grinning back at you.
The warrior bit is the hypocrisy in me. The meaning if you will, fighting evil and claiming my reward from a horn of ale and a hog on a firedog.
Ok, so i don't have to be a warrior but a ranger at least! lol.

Also it's in the Celtic civilisation that i have found my preffered level of social and technological evolution. Living in a round house with a fire in the middle. Hunting for your food while your wife collects necessaties from the forest. No fear of saying what you mean and no shame in being who you are. With just the right level of social activity. After all, we all love a barbi! :)
Rise and sleep with the sun ( rounhouses are quite dark inside lol ) and wonder at the stars. Although technically you should be in bed :D .
I wonder what happened to the different spirits and monsters that surged through our lives. They must be more than bedtime stories for kids and explanations for the heavens. What about dragons?, how could they be forgotten? Do you ever get the feeling that a realy big chapter of history has been erased from the records? And as time progressed fact became stories and stories became legend and legend became myth...

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
You're that morbid and you drive a tube......think I'll catch a bus next time I'm in town!!! :eek: lol .

We all get days like that bud but with all that sadness you're missing all the good....both natural and man made...it's not all as bad as that, you've noticed these things and so must others...and we all know the first steps to recovery is understanding that we have a problem :)

bilko said:
Man has lost the will to survive.
Through the ages we have grown fat off the land. Once warrior stomaches that were fed with hunted meat are now forced to churn chemical sludge.
Muscles that were strong and taught are now wasted and can barely carry our bodies through the day.
Once heightened senses that were in tune with the earth and each other are now dull and more die with each new generation.
Where once the spirit soared with eagles and roamed with wolves it is now clinging on to reality and hope is all it has left.

The earth used to be whole, saturated with goodness, a reason for everything and everything for a reason. A place where man could live in harmony with each other and the earth untill the sun consumed it. But like i said, man has grown weak. Machines labour for us, we are told how to think, what to wear, how to act, how to be!. I will not remark on politics but i look at recent events, signs from nature if you will and can't help but wander how man could not survive this in his native land ( if things were different ).

and just out of interest....how exactly do you know all this? You weren't there anymore than I was, it might have been a heck of a time to be about...plauge...famine, droughts, climatic changes that you didn't understand such as earthquakes and tidal waves...things that you couldn't explain.... even further back there would have been big scarey things that ate you, illness with no medicine (anybody who's suffered major tooth ache will know how they'd feel if it couldn't be treated....try root canal with no injection sometime :eek: ). and that's before you get to murder, rape and pillage going unchecked...

I mean it might have been all fluffy and lovely and everything in tune but a yob is a yob whatever time period you come from and they always turn up singing and swigging buckfast when you're trying to be calm and relax. :rolleyes:

If you're that stressed and sad then please take a few days off....take an overland train out to the country side and chill out and actually enjoy what is available to you now.... what was the old hippy phrase..."live in the now man"!

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

leon-1

The earth can heal, mother nature as we call her has infinite ways of reconciling differences and as for man, not all have become weak and selfish.

Man will continue, they have survived and populated like no other species. THEY WILL ADAPT, things always have gone through change and they always will.

Our hopes and dreams lay with the ability of the young to learn and adapt(they will and are probably doing so as we speak). Knowledge passed from father to son practiced and not makes a huge difference (even when one cannot and another can).

All things are not equal, but most have sense to do the right thing (that is talking about species and not man as an individual entity).

We will be here for a long time and that for me is without doubt:)

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Listen mate, you realy need to get out more and meet and make new friends ;)

All this sitting alone and moping about how mankind has corrupted the planet is going to do you no good :(

Living and working in London is a rat race, as Bam said get on a train, get in the country and chill out.

Oh and by the way, I normally find a few pints of Stella helps :D :D

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Hey we all feel that way sometimes :(

What works for me is to get out in the country.It's hard to describe but when you're out in the open your problems are free to evaporate to the open sky,your spirit is liberated and you feel a weight lifting off your body.
Sorry about the clumsy description. :rolleyes:

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
oops :D
It does sound a bit mellow dramatic doesn't it! and this site is moving a lot faster than i remember lol. Used to be a few hours for a reply lol.

Sounded a lot better in my head :rolleyes:
Hmm, think i will try that stella, or in my case a nice bottle of sloe gin i picked up the other day.
I feel a bit bad now as i didn't mean to sound so depressing :eek: , you know how it is once you get with the adjectives ;)
Think i'll start a thread about dwellings....

:scarper:............... :D

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Wow!
And the reason for editing comes up too :eek:
Well glad i was thinking straight then or i could have realy put my foot in it! ;) :D

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Me and the other arf escaped the city life rat race and headed for the hills. We dont have much money, but we have our family, our health and the great outdoors. If you really feel life is getting too much, get away for a bit. Get a cheap tent, bivvi etc and head for the hills for the weekend, thats what the unemployed Scots have been doing for many a year and still doing it. You would meet many a new friend along the way and really enjoy yourself to boot.

Keep it real my friend and get out there........

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
lardbloke said:
Me and the other arf escaped the city life rat race and headed for the hills. We dont have much money, but we have our family, our health and the great outdoors. If you really feel life is getting too much, get away for a bit. Get a cheap tent, bivvi etc and head for the hills for the weekend, thats what the unemployed Scots have been doing for many a year and still doing it. You would meet many a new friend along the way and really enjoy yourself to boot.

Keep it real my friend and get out there........
Yep.
I'm all embarrased smiles now and hiding the fact that i have been a bit down of late. Thanks for your kind suggestions.
As it happens i am not long back from taking my 2 boys of 10 and 12 for a weeks camping. I had them for a week during summer holiday as they live with their mum.
We had an excellent time even on the last night when there were dozens of lightning strikes around the tent. The boys were killing themselves laughing with each strike but it was only after that i found out they didn't want me to be worried about them so they laughed. Sweet.
I took them to http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=2366 here in Ipswitch as we were allowed a campfire ( at a cost ). All the Mcdonalds in the world could not replace the joy of making toast on a stick and toasting marshmallows for them. Even if you do feel sick after the 5th one :)

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
The Earth Mother sorts everything out in the end dont let Babylon wear you down Get Out! Get up the woods! Go down the beach! BUT DONT GO ROUND THE BEND life is what you make it. :D :D :D :D

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Bilko
chin up son, it's all good in the long run, as a fellow pubic transport worker in london (picking up your passengers for the last few weeks ;) ) it's easy to get down in this city, as someone who grew up in the stix with all it's space and tranquility the brightlights tend to get a bit too bright sometimes. The only way to break the smoggy curse without a spare few days for escape is to make the most of the trappings at hand, the best cocktails in the land are to be found on your doorstep along with the widest varity of the fairer sex :D .

Always looking for a buddy to head into the stix with, just drop me a line and i'll hold your hand out into the greenery :rolleyes:

A man/women is more than a bank balance or credit rating.
More than a new car or second home abroad.

I am reading Mors kochanskis book at the minute and he deffinetly lives in a world of simplicity.
All you need in life is three things.

An axe.

A billy can.

A good knife.

Everything else just gets in the way and can be built or made in the field. :D

Chin up mate,you need a good dose of bushcraft to lift your spirits!

I think that the trouble these days is that people have too much time to think how bad their life is.
The celts or any other tribe ancient or modern are/where too busy staying alive and working the land to get stressed out.
Money was irelevant,a cow or basket of apples held more value than a stupid piece of paper with a face on it.Tribes in the amazon would find more use from a good machete or roll of cloth than a ipod or dvd player.

Me and my wife live quite a simple and uncluttered life,my PC also plays my DVD's and music/radio.
We have a tiny portable telly that a friend gave us for nowt which we hardly ever turn on.

We are quite happy and we actually seem to have money piling up because we don't waste it.
Walking in a forest costs you nothing but pays you a fortune :)

Camping with your kids makes you a millionare as most millionares would trade you that money to be able to do the same with their kids.
They never have the time because they are too busy earning money that they never enjoy.

Rant over :p

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
stotRE said:
A man/women is more than a bank balance or credit rating.
More than a new car or second home abroad.

I am reading Mors kochanskis book at the minute and he deffinetly lives in a world of simplicity.
All you need in life is three things.

An axe.

A billy can.

A good knife.

Everything else just gets in the way and can be built or made in the field. :D

Chin up mate,you need a good dose of bushcraft to lift your spirits!

I think that the trouble these days is that people have too much time to think how bad their life is.
The celts or any other tribe ancient or modern are/where too busy staying alive and working the land to get stressed out.
Money was irelevant,a cow or basket of apples held more value than a stupid piece of paper with a face on it.Tribes in the amazon would find more use from a good machete or roll of cloth than a ipod or dvd player.

Me and my wife live quite a simple and uncluttered life,my PC also plays my DVD's and music/radio.
We have a tiny portable telly that a friend gave us for nowt which we hardly ever turn on.

We are quite happy and we actually seem to have money piling up because we don't waste it.
Walking in a forest costs you nothing but pays you a fortune :)

Camping with your kids makes you a millionare as most millionares would trade you that money to be able to do the same with their kids.
They never have the time because they are too busy earning money that they never enjoy.

Rant over :p
You know what mate. Seeing your links and in particular your regimental crest brought about a tinge of pride for me. So now i have my own from the 9/12th royal lancers that i spent 6 and a half years with. And enough of my naval gazing nonsense i think. Yep all that after half a bottle of sloe gin as well.
Even more so i can feel the sincerity, truth and happiness in the way you live.
So, to celebrate i think i may buy myself one of those backup kit carson neck knifes. Unless i can find a better one for £20!, Oh god that means i better stick the kettle on. I'll be up till 2am now :D

Gin makes you grin ;) :D

Nice looking knife those kit carson's,i've just bought a 5 quid mora off evilbay and she's like a razor.

I feel a covert campout coming on this weekend :D

9/12 royal lancers hey...............everybody has a few skeletons in the closet and nobodys perfect ;) :p

Hail "The Delhi Spearman"

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
Wayland said:
What's so good about being a Celt? Human sacrifice? High infant mortality? Teeth worn out on gritty bread?

I recreate historical life for a living and the one thing I can tell you for sure is we've never had it so good..... ;)

and what about seeing a couple of legions of grumpy Romans coming over the horizon and there's no toilet paper. :eek:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I had a friend in College named Marsha, the self proclaimed hereditary wiccan high priestess of the local coven, said coven consisting of several dissaffected catholics, a jewish exotic dancer named Lisa Silverman and twin albino brothers who kept asking when everybody would go skyclad. Marsha got hold of a paper I wrote for a literature class on the fairie faith and invited me to their Sam Heanniee gathering. I found myself sitting on the couch next to a invited witch from Riverside County, my arm and shoulder clamped in the cleavage of a 200 lb redhead breathlessy saying " I hear you go to Ireland, take me with you, I can be v-e-r-y friendly." On the other side Lisa was flicking bits of body glitter from her low cut blouse and complaining about only making $300 that afternoon. Marsha walks in with this vaguely anthropomorphic doll made of imported baskets from the Phillipines and asks me to explain the meaning of the wicker man to the group. " uh, Marsha, there is only one mention of them in Julius Caesar's CONQUEST OF GAUL , which was propaganda and an old horror movie." Marsha quickly interuppted me and in a loud voice proclaimed her matrilinear line had sacrificed wickermen since time beyond measure. Within minutes the flip top head had ben filled with flowers, 1/4 lb of ground beef, some stale valentine's Day candy and a $1 bill as offerings and set alight in the back yard. Within seconds a black plume of smoke rose like the scene in Dances With Wolves and sirens proclaimed the arrival of the local fire department and the high pressure hose dismembership of Wicky the Wickerman. I had discretely led Lisa by the hand to another part of the house to discuss other forms of spells. I moved on to graduate school and got tangled up with Irish republicans. Here in California I am compelled to deal with Hare Krishnas and a plethora of tired old, new age religons, Civil War re enactors arguing at gunpoint with Fallshirmyaegers and Brit Paras over who has the first park permit for the day, enough ethnically diverse communities to put the U.N. to shame and a secret Chumash indian society plotting to overthrow the government and sieze Santa Barbara. Everybody else is rushing around going to places they hate, talking on cellphones about nothing and blaring music at full volume. Anything, anything people to escape,escape,escape the blinding numbness of a contemporary life nobody seems to have given half a thought or effort towards.Celts? I wear brown on Saint patrick's day and go hiking :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE