Oh I do like to be up in The Highlands.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
As it was my wife's birthday and it had a zero at the end, I had to make sure we did whatever she wanted. Imagine my delight when she said she wanted to go on a family adventure to Skye.

Couple of emails with my friend Scott in Uig and we had a cottage sorted for the weekend. She was even happy for me to disappear for a day to help out with the hind cull.....!

On the way we stopped in Gelncoe for a hot chocolate, where we met a friendly hind and her calf. I fed her malted milk biscuits which I thought particularly generous as they are my favourite, I was surprised to hear disagreeable grumbling from behind me as I did so. " Must be bad form to feed wild animals in America" I thought to myself on hearing the accents. It was about 20 seconds later I realised I was wearing my Wiltshire Deer Stalking Coat!

We stopped at the Commando Memorial:

The next day I was on the hill with a rifle, overlooking the Cuillins, and after a few hours we came across a group and the head stalker (Scott) told me which he wanted taken, we were in a great spot, out of the wind and having just checked my rifle it was a clean, quick kill. A quick trip in the Argo for a drink in the hotel where she is probably being served up this weekend and a good feeling settled. Then it was home for the heavier stuff as I tried to drink malt with a Highlander.... Silly boy.

A walk up the Fairy Glen with kids and dogs;

and the Quiraing:

The Ridgeline took two days to dry!

Bit of a detour to see the Cuillins not in cloud:

After a few days there it was off to the Cairngorms to stay with friends, we were off on the Hinds there too, but the winds were too high, so we braved Cairngorm Mountain instead and laughed our socks off as we were blown around. Then more malt with Highlanders!

Great great week, only 2108 miles done in ten days..... Can't wait to get back.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
That looks like a fantastic trip - I have had many enjoyable trips to Skye and the Highlands ... the last of which was my honeymoon on Skye (and a visit to the island of Raasay next door) but I didn't get much sight-seeing in that time ;-)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It's awesome isn't it? I cannot stop thinking how great my life is, what superb friends I have and what magical places I visit.

Onfire, I expect the rain was a good excuse.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
A very nice report. I especially like the hunting pictures, nice work! That is beautiful scenery in your pictures, a truly special place. Thanks for sharing.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Years have rolled on, Lochnagar, since I left you
Years must roll on ere I see you again
Though Nature of verdure and flowers bereft you
Yet still art thou dearer than Albion's plain
England! thy beauties are tame and domestic
To one who has roved on the mountains afar
Oh for the crags that are wild and majestic
The steep frowning glories o' wild Lochnagar

The Highlands are something, aren't they? These are really great pictures and it looks like an equally great time was had.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Lovely place may get up there next year as the gf hasn't been.... I do want to get back to Uist though😄
The fairy glens weird isn't it??? Might park the camper up there next time I visit...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE