Oh dear, I just chopped my leg! (scenario)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
OK so here's the scenario

Your on an overnight camp and have to chop up some firewood with your axe.
While chopping you misjudge the swing and you end up with a rather large cut in your leg with blood going everywhere.

You take out your first aid kit and......

??????
???
?????

What equipment should you have with you to accomodate such an accident?
what do you do?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

'Butterfly' sutures....... and knowledge to sew such a wound. :wink: :biggthump Off course it depends, how deep the wound is. Very deep = sutures. Not so deep = maybe a big bandage would be enough...
In my opinion.... :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Currently I have shell dressings for that job ... but depending on the cut these can really just be something to soak up blood until no more remains. Shell dressing are OK but if I got it bad enough it could be major bad news.

Over a year ago I chopped the back of my hand with an axe (actually, I raised my hand and caught it on the blade) and went right to the moving parts above the knuckle of my left hand. Long story short, this was treated at home and the results were just a scar (that's moved to below the knuckle now for some reason).

From this I'd say the following:

- Don't underestimate how far a little blood goes ...
- Make sure you have quality first aid gear ... i went into the first aid box for a dressing and found that the bandage was wrapped around it and I had to unwrap the whole thing (dropping the absorbent pad on the floor in the process). This was wrapped and sealed up like this from new - a silly way in my opinion
- Elevate and apply compression. Know pressure points to slow down major bleeding
- Drink plenty to replenish lost fluids.
- Stay calm!

I have heard of a product called QuikClot that seems really promising but never tried it :shock: so I can't comment on it but it seems good.

With this type of injury, prevention is much, much better than cure!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Aha but your going to have to slow down the flow of blood first surely? Would you use a torniquet or what? What if you do it too tight and your circulation stops??

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
TheViking said:
Hi...

'Butterfly' sutures....... and knowledge to sew such a wound. :wink: :biggthump Off course it depends, how deep the wound is. Very deep = sutures. Not so deep = maybe a big bandage would be enough...
In my opinion.... :biggthump

Aha but your going to have to slow down the flow of blood first surely? Would you use a torniquet or what? What if you do it too tight and your circulation stops??

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
A deep wound where the arterie, is hit there must be tight pressure on. A headscarf or the like, would be good. Wrap it to a ball and press hard on the wound to stop the blood from flowing. And try to get the wound over heart-height. :wink:

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Young Bushman said:
OK so here's the scenario

Your on an overnight camp and have to chop up some firewood with your axe.
While chopping you misjudge the swing and you end up with a rather large cut in your leg with blood going everywhere.

You take out your first aid kit and......

????

Faint, probably... :rolmao:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
With a sharp tool, unless you hit a largish pipe of the red stuff, you might be surprised how little blood there is initially.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Young Bushman said:
initially...
Well, yeah ... overall though, unless you hit something big, cut for cut, a sharp tool cut bleeds less than a blunt or jagged tool. However, big, sharp tools like axes alow you to get enthusiastic and do real damage.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Young Bushman said:

Recently, I (very stupidly) cut my thumb knuckle to the bone with my LM Wave saw. I refused to go to hospital for stitches as I didn't want to spoil the weekend. It just so happened that one of our friends coming away with us is an A & E nurse so she sorted it out. She made me put pressure on the cut but once she had put the first steri-strip on I didn't need to put pressure on any more because that was enough to stop any more flow.
I was amazed!
Obviously this was only a small scale cut (Inch 'n' half long) and I doubt it would work for anything much bigger!

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Young Bushman said:
Aha but your going to have to slow down the flow of blood first surely? Would you use a torniquet or what?

Use only with EXTREME caution. If you tourniquet a limb, you will cut off the blood supply to everything distal to the tourniquet - goodbye limb!

If you suspect you've severed a major artery (you'll know it if you have, trust me), then a tourniquet may be the only way to stop you bleeding to death, but it may cost you a limb in the process.

Firm, direct, localised pressure is the way to go in most cases, and as others have mentioned, elevate the limb. Then get to hospital ASAP.

On an aside, if you're heading into the woods with sharps big enough to do some real damage (ie. and axe or a billhook), then a large bloodstopper bandage or military type field dressing in your FAK, is a really good idea.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Martyn, any good field dressings available that you'd recommend, or jsut the standard military field dressing?

Also, any experience of QuikClot?

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i t bought a "isreali bandage", the emgency bandage. http://www.firstcareproducts.com/ the cilivlian version not to long ago. Haven't used it fortunaly, but it looks good on the picture's i have seen and the reviews about it. This things is semi vacum packed, but is still very big compaired to my dutch army field dressing. The pressure bar and closure bar look much easier to use than the dutch filed dressing, which i did tryed out, the bandage on the filed dressing is very thin and doesn;t want to stay spread.

if i just planted an axe in my leg or arm thats proberbly the thing i will grabe. And than go to the hospital right away.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
Martyn, any good field dressings available that you'd recommend, or jsut the standard military field dressing?

Also, any experience of QuikClot?

Nothing particularly Adi, just a general all purpose bloodstopper - that's a bandage with a big wad of absorbent material to cover the wound. There's nothing magical about dressing a wound at this point, all you need is big wads of sterile absorbant stuff, with a metod of tightly attaching it. The military bandages are as good as any I suppose. But if you're interested in tyhe commercially available civillian stuff, a good place to look for all your med supplies is SP Services ( http://www.999supplies.com ), we use em at work for some things and they do outfit emergency services personnel/vehoicles etc.

This looks cool...
http://www.999supplies.com/product_info.php/cPath/91/products_id/2558

I like the method of applying pressure, though it's not a dressing I've personally used, or could recommend in any way, but it looks to be a gpood solution, if a little fancy.

Sorry, I've never heard of QuikClot.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
http://www.usuhs.mil/uao/Release03-05.pdf Go to www.equipped.org and do a basic search for quikclot. We have several inputs from paramedics and a retired military doctor. Briefly, the agent becomes hot after contact with water and causes severe burns.It was a tossup if the wound was life threatening enough to warrant that additional injury. I submit another set of protocols: Your camped out and preparing to chop wood for the fire. Reaching for the Granfors Bruk/Wetterling you pause, recall reading this thread and shiver at the thought. You take a deep breath, scratch various body parts, regrip your axe and cut with extreme caution and deliberation.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
1. Keep calm
2. Put and field dressing on the wound and keep pressure on it (aleays carry a field dressing on you) if you do not have a field dressing put your hand on the wound and keep it under pressure and then use a pice of clot or something that will keep a pressure on the wound.
3. Pick up your cell phone and if you are badly hurt call an ambulance and tell where you are or tell them to meet you on the nearest road or other place wher thy can get to. If the wound is not critical call someone you know and tell them what happend and where you are and what you are going to do (walk back stay the night). The make sure you call back every hour or so just to let them know you are ok.

If you dont have the knowledge to fix wounds made from an axe, dont bring the axe with you out in the wilderness.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Your camped out and preparing to chop wood for the fire. Reaching for the Granfors Bruk/Wetterling you pause, recall reading this thread and shiver at the thought. You take a deep breath, scratch various body parts, regrip your axe and cut with extreme caution and deliberation.
:biggthump :You_Rock_

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
Viking is right.

If you are only on an overnight the chances are that you are not far from help and so it's probably best to use it.

Dressing your own wounds can be quite tricky for even the most experienced first aider(try dressing your dominant hand for example) and you may not always make the most sound judgements.

Pressure, Elevate, seek medical aid.

The shortest FA course I heard:

"If their not breathing, breath for them,
If their hearts not beating, pump it for them,
If its bleeding, plug it,
If ist burnt, cool it
and if its broken, keep it still."

Keep it simple and you won't forget

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
As well as all the excellent advice above remember that prevention IS better than cure. Learn to use your cutting tools in a safe manner, and practice with them initially where you can get help quickly.

Don't forget the old first-aid standby of wadding up triangular bandages to help stem blood flow. Also consider getting some formal first aid training.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE