OG 'sas' style smocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I have just noticed that SASS do ALL their excellent smocks in Olive Green, for those who don't do the Action Man look (scar otional) http://www.sasskit.co.uk/products/militaryclothing/index.htm
There are many optional extras that can be specified too, as they are handmade at their HQ in England somewhere. They seem like great value and have always been highly regarded, but the fact that they can be sourced in Olive Green seems a godsend for the outdoorsmen who wants to blend in without looking like someone reliving the Balken wars in their local woods. When will Highlander and Webtex etc hit on this brainwave? As much as I like DPM, I do sometimes feel a pratt when in civilised areas, but I like this style smock. Now there is the solution...

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I belive you can have black or tan as well . Had a Kit karry smock from sass , and it was good kit , If a little "Rolls Royce".
Pumbaa

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
Good News,

The Kit Karry is available in Olive Green at the moment :cool: . I know because I picked one up a couple of weeks ago.

They're not cheap but after using it several times I'm so glad I took the plunge and paid the extra. It really is a superb piece of kit and SASS are a top class company wiho offer great service and tons of helpful information.

I would say it's worth picking up one of the goret-tex liners SASS stock to go with it as although the smock is quite good for showers it is not waterproof but with the addition of the liner it stands up to some pretty hefty downpours. Plus without the liner the jacket still blocks the wind but is really really breathable. You've also got plenty of places to store the liner when it's not in use.

Only downside I have found to this smock is that I can't remember which pocket I have put items in, there's so many of them. I guess I should really put this problem down to my increasing senility though. :D .

Cheers,

Tony

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
........... I've just noticed that there are a couple of olive green SAS smocks going for £50 on the special offers page too. Sizes 107-112/170 and 102-107/180. Not my size though :(

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
After reading that I got straight on the phone. The one in my size is in German Army Field Grey which is a darker Olive Green, and the OG one is too fat and short. Grr... Still, the bloke there reckons that because our wonderful government has given the contract for the next five years to Chinese manufacturers then the usual suppliers of cloth, zips etc are drying up. They only have a little OG drab left...

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Spacemonkey said:
As much as I like DPM, I do sometimes feel a pratt when in civilised areas.
I'm not a big fan of military-style either.

Sorry to go a bit OT but I understand DPM means the camo-style. What does it actually stand for, though?

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
TwoFourAlpha said:
So do Arktis:
http://www.arktisltd.co.uk/
Some of their smocks look quite good.

Anyone had any experience of their clothing?

Hi 24A

Yep, I've got some Arktis kit - specifically their windproof trousers, also from Penrith Survival Equipment. I believe on the Arktis site they're referred to as combat trousers. Mine are in OD, ripstop, 60/40 cotton / synthetic, 2 large thigh pockets, 2 rear pockets, webbing belt waist adjustment, lower leg zips to provide a 30 cm "fan", para cord hem ties and all buttons are on tape loops.

All I can say is OUTSTANDING :D

They're very hard wearing, they dry quickly, they wash well and they're a pleasure to wear. Used them this last weekend on a Woodsmoke course with all the usual activities and they were brilliant.

Just one thing, anyone considering a pair should buy 2" LARGER than normal to allow for adequate room when bending / stretching.

Anything else you want to know, just ask.

Chris

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
Charliefox

Cheers for that.
I'm looking for a new smock, but all the one's I fancy are, well, a significant investment. I'd hate to spend pot loads on a mediocre piece of kit. ( God know I've done that enough already)

leon-1

TwoFourAlpha said:
Charliefox

Cheers for that.
I'm looking for a new smock, but all the one's I fancy are, well, a significant investment. I'd hate to spend pot loads on a mediocre piece of kit. ( God know I've done that enough already)

Have you considered making one yourself, you can get all the supplies from Point North and get an old knackered SAS smock from a surplus that you could use as a pattern.

Any modifications that you want can then be built into the design and the smock will be unique, you also then get the satisfaction of knowing that you made it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE