Odd forum things.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i dont get this paypal thing though i have used it to buy and sell loads of times and i have never had to pay more than the stated amount, i.e. if i buy something for £10 and £1 postage i only get charged £11. and vica versa, i have never had a paypal direct debit come out (apart from when i have used it via ebay) it baffles me! However the buyer protection thing is good, i got stung for £30 quid, the seller never sent it out so i raised a claim and paypal got my money back sharpish, even though it was a relatively trivial amount. I rarely use paypal for masses of cash, the most i have used thorugh it so far was £70.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I thought if I sent £15 as a gift the receiver would get the full amount and there'd be no fees, never noticed any anyway but I don't pay that much attention to the pennies in my account, I'm more bothered about squids :)

If you use the 'gift' option, the receiver gets the full amount and they charge you - the sender, for the fees. Unless you are paying via a Paypal balance that is, but then that is free anyway for small amounts. It's when you pay via credit, debit or charge card and bank that the fees start going up.

Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
For me it's the search function: people don't use it. The 10 second wait-a-bit is a forum setting, that can be changed I reckon - as Mods don't have it. I'll pass it on to the Boss.

From a Mods point of view: spam (this morning was the most we had in a long time) and people posting new threads in the wrong sub-forum ...

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
I thought the paypal thing was to do with whether it was a gift or 'monies owed' - one incurs fees the other doesn't?

@Ahjno - I know what you mean about searching, but have you tried it lately? As a newcomer I try to use it rather than get everyones back up with constant questions, but whatever you put in to the search box it seems to return the whole of the forums history for you to read through!

The delay thing can be altered - another forum I belong to used to do it but its now switched off.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I thought the paypal thing was to do with whether it was a gift or 'monies owed' - one incurs fees the other doesn't?

@Ahjno - I know what you mean about searching, but have you tried it lately? As a newcomer I try to use it rather than get everyones back up with constant questions, but whatever you put in to the search box it seems to return the whole of the forums history for you to read through!

The delay thing can be altered - another forum I belong to used to do it but its now switched off.

Yeah, I know what you say. It seems it now searches alternative, instead of cumulative (as it was before the big forum software upgrade earlier this year).

One thing you can do is to use Google.

Append "site:www.bushcraftuk.com" to whatever search you want to make (without the " thingies).

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
good tip! cheers :) Isn't there a switch on the control panel (the BIG one) that allows you to set the search behaviour though? Or can you use quotes etc. to force logical operators (and, or, etc.)?

Last edited:

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
My last sale one eBay incurred £41 sellers fee and c.£40 Paypal fee, which is ridiculous given its sale value! Every time I have sent money as a gift I incurred a Paypal fee? And if the sale is outside of eBay the only protection there is is what they call their 'best effort' i.e. If there is no money in the Paypal account you get nothing back. so all in all not very safe, in fact seller security in any case is pretty shady!

budgetbus

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2010
Nuneaton
For me it's the search function: people don't use it. The 10 second wait-a-bit is a forum setting, that can be changed I reckon - as Mods don't have it. I'll pass it on to the Boss.

From a Mods point of view: spam (this morning was the most we had in a long time) and people posting new threads in the wrong sub-forum ...
I noticed a lot of spam this morning.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
As far as i'm aware the search function is universal, so everyone is under the same restrictions, I looked at this once before and although there may be a hack i'm loath to hack the site at the moment. Over the entire membership there's a huge amount of searching done and the 20 sec delay is in place to minimise the server resources as searching is very intensive.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yeah, I know what you say. It seems it now searches alternative, instead of cumulative (as it was before the big forum software upgrade earlier this year).

One thing you can do is to use Google.

Append "site:www.bushcraftuk.com" to whatever search you want to make (without the " thingies).

Have a pint on me for that tip :beerchug: , that is brilliant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE