OD Bergen Hip Strap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
I've recently purchased an old surplus Bergen, one of the olive ones on Endicotts rather than a newer DPM ones.

I've read a few off hand comments about adding a useful hip belt does anyone have more detail? The current lower strap sits a couple of CM higher than is comfortable.

Ooops

May 11, 2017
Hants but currently in Oman
I'd be interested in hearing ideas on this as well.

When I was looking into this I came across a couple of firms offering various mods for bergans including
https://dixiescorner.co.uk "Removable Bergan back padder - £35" & the "Gull Wing Back Protector - £85"

The other thought I had was threading a MOLLE belt through the loops. I got side tracked & haven't progressed the idea.

Not exactly what you were after but I HTH

Last edited:

Ooops

May 11, 2017
I have the long back bergen and the waist strap sits very nicely hip wise but its narrow.
I thought that the hip pads on the backpacker might add width over the pelvis & improve weight distribution etc.
HTH

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
I have the long back bergen and the waist strap sits very nicely hip wise but its narrow.
I thought that the hip pads on the backpacker might add width over the pelvis & improve weight distribution etc.
HTH

Hmmm, wonder if the pack is just going to be too small. What height are you?

Ooops

May 11, 2017
Too small? Are you referring to the packs volume, or its torso length?

Two torso lengths - short back and long back.

The long back is longer and thinner, only by a few inches
zip up the sides (with the side pockets off), the main sack reduces to perhaps 70lt size.

The short back is shorter and fatter, only by a few inches)
zip up the sides (with the side pockets off), the main sack reduces to perhaps 40lt size.

100lt zips open
120lt with side pockets attached
(10 lt each side pocket)

It weighs 4kg empty!

Taking into account that the concept of these bergens was for the bottom of the pack & therefore the load to be supported by the soldiers webbing, hence the comments about webbing worn or not worn and the designs minimal waist strap. So for torso length I made the following notes from other post including the ARRSE forum:

5' 7'' short back ends near the bottom of the ribcage
5' 7'' long back works as a normal trekking rucksackwhen worn without webbing

5’ 11” long back works as a normal trekking rucksack when worn without webbing
[I'm 5’ 11” & the long back fits perfectly as a normal trekking rucksack, but IMHO the waist strap is too narrow]

6’ 0” short back version is the right length for use with webbing
6’ 0” long back works as a normal trekking rucksack worn without webbing

6’ 0” plus, the long back version is the right length if you are using webbing

HTH

Reactions: steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
Too small? Are you referring to the packs volume, or its torso length?

Two torso lengths - short back and long back.

The long back is longer and thinner, only by a few inches
zip up the sides (with the side pockets off), the main sack reduces to perhaps 70lt size.

The short back is shorter and fatter, only by a few inches)
zip up the sides (with the side pockets off), the main sack reduces to perhaps 40lt size.

100lt zips open
120lt with side pockets attached
(10 lt each side pocket)

It weighs 4kg empty!

Taking into account that the concept of these bergens was for the bottom of the pack & therefore the load to be supported by the soldiers webbing, hence the comments about webbing worn or not worn and the designs minimal waist strap. So for torso length I made the following notes from other post including the ARRSE forum:

5' 7'' short back ends near the bottom of the ribcage
5' 7'' long back works as a normal trekking rucksackwhen worn without webbing

5’ 11” long back works as a normal trekking rucksack when worn without webbing
[I'm 5’ 11” & the long back fits perfectly as a normal trekking rucksack, but IMHO the waist strap is too narrow]

6’ 0” short back version is the right length for use with webbing
6’ 0” long back works as a normal trekking rucksack worn without webbing

6’ 0” plus, the long back version is the right length if you are using webbing

HTH

Oh no, plenty capacity. I could move hoose with a 100l!

I'm 6'2" though I was hoping to get away with out webbing, don't really need the capacity.

Ooops

May 11, 2017
"I could move hoose with a 100l!"
If you emptied it out you could step into it and be half way to having an emergency shelter :0)

I may be wrong but at 6' 2" I don't think the waist belt is going to offer any help in supporting the load on your hips.
Perhaps think about some thing with an adjustable torso?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Jayjays of brecon can add a strap on if you like.

The issue bergen is designed to work with belt kit, which acts as a hip pad when the bergen is on, i've vut the daft strap off that came on mine since there's no need for it.

The only changes i've had done is the straps widened and extra padding added.

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
Jayjays of brecon can add a strap on if you like.

The issue bergen is designed to work with belt kit, which acts as a hip pad when the bergen is on, i've vut the daft strap off that came on mine since there's no need for it.

The only changes i've had done is the straps widened and extra padding added.

Guess the question is whether it'll fit properly even with the new belt.

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
i don't think its possible to get the hip belt appreciably lower regardless of the modification used - the longback with Gull wings from Dixies corner just about works for me as a backpacking sack and i'm only 5'7'', albeit with short legs and a long, err.. back.

personally i'd flog the bergen on fleabay and get something like the Berghaus Roc/Crusader/Vulcan/Atlas, or Karrimor Condor - all of which are available for £40-80 - they are just as large, practical and hardwearing as the PLCE Bergen, but they are designed as backpacking rucksacks from the start.

you probably could convert a Ford Transit into a Ford Mondeo, but it would be a great deal quicker and cheaper to flog the Transit and buy a Mondeo...

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
i don't think its possible to get the hip belt appreciably lower regardless of the modification used - the longback with Gull wings from Dixies corner just about works for me as a backpacking sack and i'm only 5'7'', albeit with short legs and a long, err.. back.

personally i'd flog the bergen on fleabay and get something like the Berghaus Roc/Crusader/Vulcan/Atlas, or Karrimor Condor - all of which are available for £40-80 - they are just as large, practical and hardwearing as the PLCE Bergen, but they are designed as backpacking rucksacks from the start.

you probably could convert a Ford Transit into a Ford Mondeo, but it would be a great deal quicker and cheaper to flog the Transit and buy a Mondeo...

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing It was cheap enough so worth a try

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Are the army issue hippo pads no good?

A hippo pad was never meant for a bergen, they're for wearing under belt kit to stop the pouches rubbing your skin raw.

They didn't work well, a bit of roll mat cut up worked better, they don't work like a proper hip belt.

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
Relented and went for the highlander forces 66. Not quite as large volume , should be enough but it's very comfortable and adjustable might be as comfortable as my osprey!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE