NI Patrol Rucksack – Longback! Or – The First Cut is the …..Scariest! (Pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I’ve been a fan of a copy of the NI patrol ruck for some time now.

The one in question is that made by the company ‘Kombat’ and it is in olive green.

It was the compactness, design and superior internal lining that convinced me to buy it in the first place.

I’d already made some mods to it and posted them on here previously.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143436

Post this ‘summer’ season I knew that my green season waist belt/shoulder yoke set up didn’t have the carrying capacity that I needed for winter and so it was back to the NI ruck.

The first outing with my brown season load reminded me of how all the weight is carried on the shoulders, normally not an issue but this time I was carrying some ‘extras’ and I really felt the weight (55 pounds to be exact (approx 25kgs).

I needed a way to share that weight on my hips a la waist-belt/shoulder yoke set-up.

I’d already added a stability belt but that sits way too high to help. A proper load carrying waist belt was the way forward but how to attach it as the bottom of the ruck sat 6 inches (15 cms) above my waist?

I tried the original set-up – waist belt with rear pouches which the bottom of the ruck would sit on but without the yoke – uncomfortable and only part effective.

Solution – extend the body of the ruck; add waist-belt fixings and proper waist-belt.

So – take two NI Patrol rucks – cut each appropriately into two parts (great courage required! :yikes:)

Stitch the two required-length top and bottom sections back together. (By hand. Aaaaargh! Fingers of steel required. :aargh4::aargh4:)

Result – ‘Longback’ NI Patrol ruck with load bearing waist-belt and increased capacity by approx 9 litres.

With the previous load (25kgs) it is already noticeably more comfortable and stable (TBC after first 5 miler!!)
So with my ordinary winter bushcraft load - I - am - gonna -float! :lmao:

Image 1. Take x 2 standard size NI patrol rucks.

NI Ruck Mods II 1..jpg

Image 2. Cut one to leave a large top section and cut the other to leave a large lower section.

NI Ruck Mods II 2..jpg

Image 3. Left. Internal view of lower section made good after removal of the upper lid section.
Right. View of two sections pinned together. Ruck was filled with kit to help adjust the required size of ruck body to match my
personal hip-to-shoulder dimension (22inches waist-belt centre to shoulder strap attachment points)

NI Ruck Mods II 3..jpg

Image 4. Internal views (back and front) showing upper and lower section joins.
1 inch (25mm) webbing tape was used to sandwich each section.
Upper was machine sewn but lower had to be stitched by hand!

NI Ruck Mods II 4..jpg

Image 5 External view showing back and front join line and new hip belt attachments.

NI Ruck Mods II 5..jpg

Image 6. Hip belt attached.

NI Ruck Mods II 6..jpg

Image 7. Comparison – Standard NI Patrol ruck - v – Extended (Back)

NI Ruck Mods II 7..jpg

Image 8. Comparison – Standard NI Patrol ruck – v – Extended (Front)

NI Ruck Mods II 8..jpg

Image 9. Comparison - Standard & Extended NI rucks with 120l Bergen (not even fully loaded!).

NI Ruck Mods II 9..jpg

Image 10 Comparison – as per image 9.

NI Ruck Mods II 10..jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE