Oca tubers from British Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not sure whether this might be better in Lovely Grub :dunno: but since we're no' quite there yet, it's in here :D

Kindly sent some by BR about seven weeks ago, I laid them out on just moist compost in an old bowl, covered it with one of the green bags, supposedly slightly breathable, for storing vegetables, and put it onto the north facing kitchen windowsill.

Today I reckoned they were far enough along that I could pot them up into individual pots since it's not warm enough outside for them yet. Reading up about how to cultivate these, everyone reckons we're going to struggle this far north, but we'll give it a good shot :D

The original thread is here;
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117185&highlight=tubers

and my tubers looked like this :)

12816068314_fe5e88e683_c.jpg

Definitely oxalis going by those leaves :D and all ten have sprouted too :cool: so I'm quietly chuffed.
Now to see if I can keep them growing until the threat of frosts is by.

atb,
Mary

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm delighted they have all done well so far :)

Bury 'em now Mary - I put them at least an inch under You can "Earth up" like potatoes as they grow. Don't be frightened to tuck into the foliage too - I think they are worth growing for the foliage alone - all the normal precaustions of not too much oxalic acid apply of course!

For every one else who bought some its time to bring them into the greenhouse / windowsill and get them chitting!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I potted them into 3" square but 5" deep pots (I can get those on the bedroom windowsill in front of the blinds) but I think I'm going to try four outside in the greenhouse. I put them into pots just over half filled, and put the tubers on top and then bedded them in with more compost. I was a bit worried about disturbing the fine white roots they've developed, but they seemed to seperate cleanly enough without tearing off, and I left as much of the original compost under them as I could.
Now I'm just going to try to give them as much light as I can.
I know it's awfully early, but we have such short days at the end of the year that I reckon I need to get a head start on them if I'm going to get anything at the end.
I'm eyeing up 30cm square pots for their final potting, and hoping they'll do. T&M reckon that 36" between plants gives best results, there's no chance of that unless I dig up the lawn !

It's fun trying something new :D especially if there's dinner at the end of it :cool:

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE