Chitted Oca Tubers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
How do you use the Yacon? I've grown it once as an experiment but I never really could see how to get the best use from it.
Sliced or chipped in stir fries, grated raw in a salad or finely diced in soups and stews mainly, it's fine but a little bland and sweet.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sliced or chipped in stir fries, grated raw in a salad or finely diced in soups and stews mainly, it's fine but a little bland and sweet.

Bland is how I also remember it - which is probably why I stopped growing it.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Did you want some starters for January Sara?
No, thank you. I'm focusing my efforts on herbs and berries. :) I've been thinking about getting a *small* apple tree or something like that, but not sure what to get or where to put it really, so still just mulling it over.

Reactions: TeeDee

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So how is Oca going? I now have a fair amount of growing space so am thinking of adding it into the mix. Is it worth the bother?

I also notice the mention of yacon - has anyone found a recipe that it’s worth having it in?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oca is interesting and Yacon fun but I enjoy growing lots of different things. Right now we have a bed full of Jerusalem artichokes and another of asparagus :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I’ve just dug a load of Jerusalem artichokes. About 4.2 kg. All from the previous tenant so a nuisance to dig as they were just randomly about. I’ll be keep growing them as roasted they are just delicious, even with the side effects.
Half has already gone into soup with a victor squash - it even did well for the squash to make it into the soup as just roasted and eaten it’s gorgeous. Looking forward to growing that one again next year!

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE