Oca Tubers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oca is one of the 'Lost Crops' of the Incas and still eaten widely in South America.

Seed Oca by British Red, on Flickr

Its grown just like potato and tastes like potato with lemon on. It is though unrelated to the potato and completely immune to blight.

Another advantage over spuds is that you eat the foliage - the nearest I can come is wood sorrel (which it resembles although much larger and bushier)

The combination of blight immunity and edible foliage make it, for us, a far better crop than potatoes. However they are unfortunately more expensive than seed potatoes. However small Oca tubers can be kept back and replanted, so you only have to buy them once

Oca PLants by British Red, on Flickr

The tubers start to form in short days (November on), so if you are in the far North, do whoddy did and start them indoors or in a greenhouse in pots - she had great results!.

You plant it 1 foot apart (rows and plants) after the risk of frost has passed (I usually risk it in March). You can chit like spuds, but I have planted without and they all grew.

Planted oca by British Red, on Flickr

Red oca by British Red, on Flickr

You cannot harvest though until two weeks after frost has killed the top growth.

Frosted Oca by British Red, on Flickr

I have had about a pound of bulbs per square foot. For many last year had a lower yield, but the weather will have an effect of course.

Lifted Oca by British Red, on Flickr

Real seeds charge £8 for 5 or 6 of these (plus postage)

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/unusualtubers.html

I will happily supply 10 tubers for £5 plus p&p of £4.

If you want more than 10 tubers, this is not a problem and I can add 10 more for the same postage

If you want some, put a post on here with how many you want then shoot me a PM with how many you need and we'll sort it out.

Payment by PayPal only please :)

So
10 tubers : £9
20 tubers: £14

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a few dozen of these left that are ready for chitting and planting now if anyone wants them?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oliver,

Your inbox is full!

Please PM me your Mum's address so that I can send the tubers

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE