Chitted Oca Tubers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Hugh,

A huge thank you, they arrived safe and well today, you are a star!

Some are already in pots the rest have to wait a bit until some larger post can be found. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad they got there safely Steve :)

If you have no use for the hay, tuck it under a bush or hedge - the small birds are loving the stuff I leave them as a nest material :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I would love to grow those but I seem to have developed the black thumb over the last few years and kill everything I come into contact with. Can I just say though that I love what you and those that you have sold to are doing and would love to try and cook some (something I can do reasonably well at least).

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Just a quick update, tubers are growing well now...do these flower? I've tried the foliage, quite tasty- any limits to how much is okay to eat? Cheers Joab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Joab - don't eat a steady diet of the foliage as it contains Oxalic acid which can cause stones. A little is fine. They may well flower - small, yellow flowers. Just let them - it hurts nothing and is quite pretty :)

Red

Mr.punch

Forager
Oct 15, 2012
somerset/devon border
Tried a few leaves with a strawberry the other day on the alotment, very tastey. All 3 of the Yakon are growing do they take a bit of time to get tall and what is the best feed suppliment if any to give both?
Thanks.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They should be bushing nicely (18-24") at this stage. Yacon grow on till December, they will get beyond head height if more than a foot at this point!

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
How did you store yours? I have Jerusalem artichokes which I harvest when I need them, but leave them in the ground and they come back each year- is it best to lift and store these?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How did you store yours? I have Jerusalem artichokes which I harvest when I need them, but leave them in the ground and they come back each year- is it best to lift and store these?

I do lift and store as that is the "accepted wisdom" - I clean and dry them and pack them in dry straw and store them in the barn

Seed Oca by British Red, on Flickr

That said, any I miss and leave in the soil come up just fine - so I suspect you could leave a few in the soil like JA. I tend to rotate my beds so this is less on an option for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE