Nubuck Boot plus Dubbin = No?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Just got a pair of Meindl Engadin, one of the two models of non goretex boots I could find here.

I'll be out in them this weekend and was planning to give them a good "Dubbin" beforehand. As they're "Nubuck" I thought I'd check out the recommendations online...

But now I have just read that you shouldn't use dubbin on any boot (never done my boots any harm before).

Anyone else heard this?

Will dubbin harm my nubuck boots?

Help :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It is thought to rot (over a long term use) the natural threads used in the stitching. But I used it for 13 years on my hiking boots and the boots showed not a single problem.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Dubbin on nubuck? I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Use Nikwax Nubuck and Suede treatment or a similar product. Dubbin will get messy and spoil the look of the nubuck. Your boots will also become a dirt magnet.

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
the nubuck finish will turn out smooth and shiny, i had an old pair of timberlands that were nubuck and wondered what the finish would be and they actually turned out ok i thought.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Thanks for the replies, I feel a bit concerned as I just got back from applying some dubbin to the boots, but so far they look ok. Let's see!

thereaper101

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2009
South Wales
Dubbin on NuBuck is fine, As dozzer said, they will be a bit shiny. I have done a pair of Cats, they look OK.

Its not designed for Nubuck, however i would have no problem in using it again.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
No you certainly shouldn't use old fashioned dubbin, a treatment evolved from ancient, traditional and possibly out dated practices and made from natural products.
finger_wag.gif

You should use branded, petrochemical solutions, because they cost more and have been created by scientists, funded by corporations that always have your best interests at heart.
muahaha.gif

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I assume that you did look at http://www.meindl.de/english/ > Service > Treatments and both my pairs of Meindls came with "instructions".

Yes I read that. Unfortunately in this relatively unpopulated area, we're not so well serviced with shops that carry all the options :( ( I even had to order the boots into the shop for me to try on because it's such a small shop, and that shop is 50Km away)

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Thanks everyone for the replies. The boots look a little darker now the dubbin has soaked in. Of course that's no problem for me or the wife. And the places we walk, we usually don't see anyone else either :)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I had a pair of Asolo boots a few years ago that came with a Nubuck finish... IIRC they were on special at Field + Trek...

Once the factory applied waterproofing had worn off I used liberial ammounts of Nikwak to keep them water resistant and the boots lost the nubuck finish but were water resistant and all was good. The stitching was fine also..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE