Now's The Time...To get yer wood !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
After the recent high winds, now is a cracking time to gt down your local woods and see what mother nature has left for you. There is a 30 odd foot birch been blown over in my local wood, so I think I'll be harvesting some bark from that this week. There's a bloomin' big oak came down on our road too, The Arborists have been and chopped it into 10ft logs, too bloody big to get in the car and I don't think the general public will be too impressed if I set about it with my SFA in the middle of the footpath :shock:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Just a tip for those wanting wood for the fire.....
After strong winds like we have had, tree surgeons do a roaring trade clearing up the debris. Most have to pay someone to take all their wood from them at the end of a days work so you normaly find they are more than willing to supply you with wood if you are willing to pick it up ....

;-)
Ed

Mel

Nov 13, 2003
West Sussex
www.wilderness121.co.uk
There is some wind torn willow very near to my house, will have to grab some soon. I discovered last year that if you peel off the bark the surface of the wood goes a very rich red colour.

I have no idea if this colour stays and am not even sure of only one type of willow does it but I thought it would look good with something carved into it so am going to expriment.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I think you've just reached the inner bark. I've been doing a lot of carving with willow lately (I live on the Somerset levels and you can't get away from the stuff, not that I'd want to) and I've found that this quickly happens to inner bark. This makes in much easier to cleanily strip a stick. Take the bark off, leave it for a day, and you will be able to see any remenants.

Hope this sheds ;-) some light of it.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
The Electricity guys have just cut back the trees near the power lines in my local wood.Most of the logs left are of a carriable size.
Just like Christmas! :p

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The Electricity guys have just cut back the trees near the power lines in my local wood
You should have asked them if you could help yourself while they were there. They don't usualy have a problem.

;-)
Ed

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
No problem Ed,village residents have wood gathering rights;all you can carry out of the woods.Every time I walk the dogs I bring back a log.

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE