small wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
about 5 years ago I realised a dream and bought my own small piece of woodland within a large wood,3 acres in size and half a mile down a track ,very quite and great for over night stays and harvesting fire wood for home from trees blown down in storms,about half is pine plantation with trees now 60' and the other half oak beech and sycamore, lots of wildlife deer badgers bats and frogs but now norfolk county council want to put a road through it .....people have been fighting against it and route has been moved slightly because of bat breeding ground ,the rod is not really needed and I think an exercise in people lining their pockets at the expense of the environment, the cost of the road has spiralled and hopefully continue to rise and maybe it will be abandoned

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I sympathise with you Wickerman. I sold my small woodland in Sussex a few months ago, not because of road building, but other reasons.
A few acres within a surrounding 300 acres, a long way from roads and housing.

A year or so ago a road some distance from the wood was 'improved' and formed a 'loop' which enclosed the woodland and nearby pastures. A bad sign as those Loops tend to get filled in, so I decided because I now live far away and because of the possibility of development, to sell the wood.
Now friends tell me there are reports of 70+ houses planned for within the loop, not within the wood, but 70+ houses a stones throw from the woodland will change that woodland for ever.
There is an organisation called The Small Woodland Owners Group
as well as other organisations that may be able to offer assistance in your objections to the road plans, although if the local Council have their beady eyes on the ...benefits..of road building then you have a real problem. Good luck.

Reactions: Toddy and wickerman

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
That’s really a shame. Have you spoken to your local councillor? I’d be organising petitions and community meetings about it. The small woods association is a good idea, as would be your local wildlife trust and the woodland trust.

I hope it gets stopped.

Reactions: wickerman

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
there is a lot of opposition to it on grounds of rare bat breeding and roosting areas Norwich city council are not for it now norfolk county council is, it links Norwich outer ring road with the a47 building a bridge over a chalk river one of only 7 in Europe run off would pollute even more ......

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Just a 'Heads up' Wickerman, if you do succeed in stopping or even diverting the proposed road, and I hope you do. Be wary if the route is altered and the wood becomes enclosed within what I can only describe as a a Loop, as my woodland became enclosed.

To illustrate. The map of Billingshurst shows a major road the A272 that once went East-West through the Town. On the right of the map where the A272 is named Coneyhurst Road it no longer turns West but runs North West and joins the A29 Stane Street at the roundabout which shows on the map between the A29 and Stane Street markings The farm land enclosed by that A272 road re-routing is now a massive development area. So be wary of any seemingly helpful or concessionary deals the Council may accede to in order to quell any protests.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
I would not trust council as far as I could throw them ......the road will not get looped but will be cut in half so the access track can not be used but they said they would put in a 2 mile service road to access it but it would all be ruined no peace and quite just traffic noise fumes and run off

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Can they put a road through someone's woodland without their consent? Do they have that power? It frustrates and saddens me just reading this. I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a good outcome.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Can they put a road through someone's woodland without their consent? Do they have that power? It frustrates and saddens me just reading this. I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a good outcome.
Yes they can, the councils etc use compulsory purchase powers for the contruction or roads, railways etc

Jun 18, 2022
United Kingdom
I'm new here but I do have some experience with owning land.

I'm going to maybe go a bit against the grain and suggest that if the road is looking likely (through your wood or not) that you look into selling. Ideally to the council for 2-3x the value which they'll probably do in an attempt to avoid confrontation/compulsory purchase.

If there is a campaign group trying to save the wood they might also be in a position to purchase the land in an attempt to save it.

Use that money to buy more land, ideally land you can improve.

Even if the road goes around the wood there is a very real possibility that you end up like that guy who saved his farmhouse for being destroyed but now had a motorway looping around his property. The question is... will the wood be the same if there is a main road right next to it?

I certainly don't like the idea of the wood being destroyed and would be VERY hesitant to be forced off land I owned but you might very well be in a situation that you can't really win, unless the council totally cancel the entire road which seems quite unlikely.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
thank you .....and yes they can just put a road through they compulsory purchase it.....and in the mean time serve notice to enter the land for ecological surveys and ground structure surveys ......drilling bore holes

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
I'm new here but I do have some experience with owning land.

I'm going to maybe go a bit against the grain and suggest that if the road is looking likely (through your wood or not) that you look into selling. Ideally to the council for 2-3x the value which they'll probably do in an attempt to avoid confrontation/compulsory purchase.

If there is a campaign group trying to save the wood they might also be in a position to purchase the land in an attempt to save it.

Use that money to buy more land, ideally land you can improve.

Even if the road goes around the wood there is a very real possibility that you end up like that guy who saved his farmhouse for being destroyed but now had a motorway looping around his property. The question is... will the wood be the same if there is a main road right next to it?

I certainly don't like the idea of the wood being destroyed and would be VERY hesitant to be forced off land I owned but you might very well be in a situation that you can't really win, unless the council totally cancel the entire road which seems quite unlikely.
yes the only win will be if they decide not to build ....and if they do the whole wood is ruined......one person has already sold to the council and the road not going through that part

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
HS2 being a prime example of lots of cash changing hands at the expense of our countryside. One of our members here lost their camping and Bushcraft site because of the monstrosity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE