Now THIS is an axe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I think "ONO" means "bearded" and I believe they are used for cleaning/squaring up wany edged boards or beams, like a side axe would be over here. The longer handle may mean it was intended for bigger stock.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
That certainly is a thug of an axe. Like Fraxinus says above, I would have guessed the same method of use, but that long handle does seem a big excessive. Perhaps that was a later addition making it a splitting axe after it got to the States?

Quite possibly, although my thinking, always a dangerous pastime :thinkerg:, is due to the curve of the bit in conjunction with the handle length the angle of attack would be a more angled slice across the grain. Which is more in keeping with the general school of thought with Japanese cutting tools, both for woodworking and Samurai katana's.
I don't recall seeing a Japanese axe with an offset handle, like you see on european or north american axes for the same purpose (side axe) some of which have felling axe length handles.
I'm no expert tho' just a C&J with an interest in tools of the trade. ;)

Rob.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Its quite beautiful, isn't it... just needs a handle designed to enhance its ergonomic use and be artistically worthy of its rather georgeus shape! As far as the truck and papier mache double header goes.... both strictly for firelighting, lads ;)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wonder if the handle length is to aid working on something you are standing on? Beams for structures etc.

freenarative

Oct 18, 2012
oldham
As you can't sell weapons on ebay you need to find other ways to list things. i.e. cold steel spike tomahawk becomes cold steel camping hatchet etc.
what you have here my friend is a Japanese war axe. the reason for the excessive haft is that it was used from horseback. There aint nothin I don't know 'bout the pointy war thingies. If it was designed to end life in a most colourful way, I'll be able to help you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ono_(weapon)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That's about as likely to be a japanese war axe as I am to be Connor Mcleod.

It will be for cleaning up notches I reckon. That's the usual reason for such a long head rather than a bearded shape.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its not a war axe. War axes were designed to be balanced for quick recovery after a swing, some were fairly large, but had thin blades which were balanced by the handle. This thing isn't like that at all. :)

As you can't sell weapons on ebay you need to find other ways to list things. i.e. cold steel spike tomahawk becomes cold steel camping hatchet etc.
what you have here my friend is a Japanese war axe. the reason for the excessive haft is that it was used from horseback. There aint nothin I don't know 'bout the pointy war thingies. If it was designed to end life in a most colourful way, I'll be able to help you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ono_(weapon)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
This is the standard Japanese felling axe design so directly comparable to the large Elwell. Ono by the way means axe, not necessarily bearded, masakari is specifically the very heavy hewing axe which this is not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE