Nova Craft SP3 Prospector Canadian Canoe for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well the time has come to part with my SP3.

SOLD

Brand new last June, in superfast red, laced and "d" ringed for airbags , and comes complete with the securing straps for the bags,( the bags are not included in the sale) with lash in loops, fixed to the underside of the gunwhales along the centre section.
P6160031copyresized4.jpg

In very good condition, with normal light scuffing on the hull. ( I'll sort out some standard hull photo's tomorrow) The boat has not seen any white water.
P6190024copyresized.jpg

It has had several applications of 303 aerospace protectant, in the 10 months I've had her. Stored on trestles and spent the winter wrapped safely under a tarp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTx9Yjh4fTg

P5100014.jpg

Added hull photo's: I've done my best but the combination of sunshine, bright red and the fact that the boat is still shiney like a new one, all makes for loads of reflections and shadows!:rolleyes:
P4090150.jpg

P4090151.jpg

P4090152.jpg

The SP3 Prospector, is arguably the best available polythene Canadian canoe available, I've tried almost all of the comparable boats in the last 4 years and not paddled a better one.

Nova Craft specs:
http://www.novacraft.com/canoe_sp3.htm

Why am I selling it?

Because at the same weight as almost all the other polythene boats in it's class, apx 38KG, it's simply too heavy for me to manage, off the water, on my own.

I'm too short arxed and no where near fit enough any more, to manage it.

I need a lighter boat-simple as that, really.

cheers

R.B.

Last edited:

rancid badger

cheers John.

I knew I'd have issues with the manual handling side of things,given the two bouts of spinal surgery in the last 18 years and ongoing issues with the ulna nerves in both arms!:rolleyes:

The problems I have, are nothing really to do with the boat, more the owner!

What really pee's me off; is the fact that; to shave weight off, you pay a lot more money, while at the same time sacrificing durability.

I'm looking at a Bob Special from Nova Craft, 30lbs lighter,(great) about £550 more expensive ( not great!) than a new SP3, yet the Royalex Lite dents, if you sneeze at it! ( really bad!)

never mind

cheers

Steve

rancid badger

I asked John about canoe courses only a few days ago and you go and do this.

You're a bad man Steve...

You know you want it!

dead easy to sort out a test paddle as well Xunil, just a pop up to Woodhorn;)

In all honesty; you'd be able to pick it up and sling it round like a feather!

John: I've not got a chance of anything in kevlar/carbon etc, the price would be way out I'm afraid.;)

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

rancid badger

There's a compliment in there somewhere...

:D

Just out of curiosity would a towbar and trailer not solve your problem, at least partially ?

It would at least save you the high lift onto the roof bars.

It would, if I had storage for the trailer,both when at home and again when out with the boat, though the get out from the garden is still a major problem. Then again, I need to consider the future, as far as portage's go, sometimes you just have to pick the boat up onto your shoulders to get to where you need to be.
There's also the cost of a trailer, towbar, electrics etc. I might as well just bite the bullet and buy the lighter boat;)

If I had to transport more than one boat, then a trailer is the obvious solution of course:)

Anyway, I've added the hull pictures.

all the best

Steve

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I love my SP3 and can put it on the roof of my VW T4 van on my own and I am no gym bunny. I paid £500 for mine 2 years ago and it was well used and nothing like this beauty. They hold their value amazingly well.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I would have this but I can't think of a way of getting it from you to me in west Wales, I even asked Shelly if she had any ideas, knowing that I could be landing myself in trouble....:D

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I would have this but I can't think of a way of getting it from you to me in west Wales, I even asked Shelly if she had any ideas, knowing that I could be landing myself in trouble....:D

I'm trying to free up some time to visit John for a canoe course - assuming I can manage to do so it will be next month (ish) (depending on John's availability) but I'd be happy to drop the canoe off for you Tony, if that would help, and if Steve trusts me not to skip the country with it.

You'd also be putting me out of my misery...

:rolleyes:

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk

Don't discount the idea of using a courier/haulier for this type of thing, it is sometimes not as expensive as you think. I sent a really akward shaped plucking machine (don't ask!) on a pallet and it only cost £25.

Ps, will someone please buy this canoe as I am getting more tempted every day.

Glyn.

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Have you thought of a Mega Kevlar Prospector - not cheap but n Alan Bridges design and light as a feather....

Have to agree with John there.I picked one up from the Mega factory and delivered it to a chap in Pembrokeshire over the weekend and could'nt believe how light it was.Paddled nicely too.:)

rancid badger

I'm trying to free up some time to visit John for a canoe course - assuming I can manage to do so it will be next month (ish) (depending on John's availability) but I'd be happy to drop the canoe off for you Tony, if that would help, and if Steve trusts me not to skip the country with it.

You'd also be putting me out of my misery...

:rolleyes:

To be honest, it's not really a matter of trust:eek:

I wouldn't buy a canoe from anyone, unless I'd had a good look at it first;)

That's where people go wrong on ebay, bidding on stuff like this and winning, then finding they've bought a right parcel, when they go to pick it up:yikes:

The price of fuel makes it an added cost that simply can't be ignored anymore. In the past; folk would travel miles and miles to view stuff for sale and think nothing much of it. You just can't do that these days:(

I've been considering having a Mega Outlander canoe built but the builder is in Devon!
The only way I would be able to consider travelling down there, is if I were going on holiday:cool:

It would be better fuel wise if I went for an Apache of course but even Liverpool is a bit too far for me:(

Then again, neither of the above mentioned boats are really suited, as they would have to be in carbon/kevlar to get the weight where I'd want it and they wouldn't be durable enough for my liking.

Never mind:)

atb

Steve

rancid badger

Have to agree with John there.I picked one up from the Mega factory and delivered it to a chap in Pembrokeshire over the weekend and could'nt believe how light it was.Paddled nicely too.:)

I have actually considered these boats but to be honest, I have serious doubts about their durability for the sort of paddling I want to end up doing.

I've got serious ambitions to do at least the Tyne Tour eventually and hopefully more, low to mid level WW tripping in future, so the potential risk of damage, to a composite boat just seems too high for my liking.

regards

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE