Not yet half past ten yet this heat is brutal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Round here it's supposed to be 30C today here. Was warmer though. In the bunker at work it got even warmer. There's large ovens at work and even in front of them is cooler than our bunker. Cooler than yesterday or perhaps I've got used to it.
I keep forgetting a water bottle so I'm dehydrated. That's made me struggle cycling to and from work. I hydrate as soon as I get home but overnight it's too hot so I'm sweating. Means I'm dehydrated before the day starts. Hence the ride into work takes 34 minutes instead of 27 to 29 minutes consistent commuting times. It's a brutal heat for an Englishman who's a cold weather fan.
BTW glad I'm not like some I know who burn quickly. I've got a bit of tan from early May before the sun got strong. If I do that I don't seem to burn. Not sure it's a good idea but it means I don't need much sun protection. If I use it it's only for days when I'm out most of the day. Use factor 30 or 40 once a day stuff. I know some who use Reiter p20 all day spray then half hour later factor 50 lotion then half hour later they can go outside! After that it's renew factor 50 every hour or so. If that's not followed they burn badly.
I got a Tilley organic airflow hat last summer. Best buy. Of course it took me 5 years to buy since I only see 55 plus pot bellied men wearing them in the Lakes. No offence meant but I don't see young hill walkers wearing them. I knew Tilley hats made perfect sense but I felt awkward trying them on so took a lot to buy one. I got one and for the whole weekend camping trip I saw nothing but old men wearing my very same hat! SWMBO poked a lot of fun at me. But it's my best sunny weather buy and it goes on now when walking, camping or just out in the country when it's sunny. Buy any brimmed hat and wear them. Seriously good idea with long sleeved shirts too. I've got a craghoppers shirt which has a collar that has extra fold of fabric that opens up to cover more of my long neck. My grandad died due to skin cancer spreading. Not good when it's preventable. Slip, slap, slop! That was an early sun awareness campaign in Australia. Slip on a shirt, slap on a hat and slop on sun protection lotion. You know it makes sense.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I just looked up average humidity for both of us. 75% is normal average for us both. Low 90s in the morning and low to mid 60s in the afternoon. TBH 75%

The national average (other than the desert southwest) is pretty close to that. 50% to 80%

Really? ugh I still don't like it, take it back and get a refund.:lmao:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My poor boy has had chicken pox since Monday which makes things a whole lot more unpleasant.
I will happily admit I am not good in the heat. Yes I can function at this temperature but I get nothing done. I cant swing an axe or run a draw knife or do awt besides sit n smelt. My real job also involves running three computers 24/7 in a small office :(

Hate to be a typical brit but I will be much happier when we shave of a few Deg C and I can get functioning again. Oh and currently eating twice the usual dose of hay-fever medication which isn't doing a lot!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh that poor kid :(
Chickenpox is bad enough, but in this heat I bet he wants to live in the bath.
Actually, there's not a bad idea.....one of those wee blow up paddling pools set up in the shade and just lay cheap beach towels all around for him to play on (Primark had them for £2 each this week) Calomine lotion everywhere ....works as sunblock too :)
They used to say no bathing for a child with chickenpox, but unless the spots get so soggy they go manky, it's not an issue.

Funnily enough, the paddling pool idea has a lot of appeal :eek: :eek: My Uncle has a twelve foot pool that he only uses to try out his new model boats :rolleyes: Wonder if I could clean it out ?

In this weather your job sounds like hell. My washing's all done, the beds have been stripped and just put back together again; 'scuse me french, but b8gger the ironing in this heat.

atb,
Mary

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My poor boy has had chicken pox since Monday which makes things a whole lot more unpleasant.....

I will happily admit I am not good in the heat.......

Sorry to hear about your boy. Yes, that's worse in the heart.

Now-a-days that I'm older and thicker (read fatter) I don't really do well in the heat either TBH, jokes aside. Or at least partly aside; The temps and humidities y'all have posted for today just adon't seem all that hot in and of themselves. Now if you're working in a close shed or barn with negligible ventilation? That's quite different.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Oh that poor kid :(
Chickenpox is bad enough, but in this heat I bet he wants to live in the bath.
Actually, there's not a bad idea.....one of those wee blow up paddling pools set up in the shade and just lay cheap beach towels all around for him to play on (Primark had them for £2 each this week) Calomine lotion everywhere ....works as sunblock too :)
They used to say no bathing for a child with chickenpox, but unless the spots get so soggy they go manky, it's not an issue.

Funnily enough, the paddling pool idea has a lot of appeal :eek: :eek: My Uncle has a twelve foot pool that he only uses to try out his new model boats :rolleyes: Wonder if I could clean it out ?

In this weather your job sounds like hell. My washing's all done, the beds have been stripped and just put back together again; 'scuse me french, but b8gger the ironing in this heat.

atb,
Mary

Aye poor lad, we are not those who bath him every day especially with him having exma anyway but we are at the mo. That and as you say an paddling pool :) Plus no clothes unless outside in the sun and risk of burn. Without getting too graphic its his poor man-bits that are taking the worst of it.
I would imagine if any of us adults had the same we would cry our selves to sleep and not get out of bed, whilst he just gets on with it :)

PS you need to get those plans over to me soon.

garethw

Settler
I was in Merthyr Tydfil today and the fashion trends were

Young girls...cut off shorts and sleveless tops
Young men...Bermuda shorts and flip flops (no top)
Men over forty...Bermuda shorts, vests and flip flops.

Its a real fashion power house here in the valleys and you could hear flesh searing as you walked around. I think there will be one or two very, very, very sore people later on tonight.

Merthyr always was cutting edge.. you just wait the drape coats and brothel creepers will be back out once the heatwave has passed...

cheers
Gareth

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry to hear about your boy. Yes, that's worse in the heart.

Now-a-days that I'm older and thicker (read fatter) I don't really do well in the heat either TBH, jokes aside. Or at least partly aside; The temps and humidities y'all have posted for today just adon't seem all that hot in and of themselves. Now if you're working in a close shed or barn with negligible ventilation? That's quite different.

I lived in oz for a while where it would be 40 + 100% but you had air-con, swimming pool and just got used to it. Life was tailored around it if you like.
Over here we get it so infrequently it really saps you not being used to it. Then before you know it its dropped 20c and its cold again.
Hardly worth converting your surroundings to suit.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My little lad had it in April when we were on holiday. His bits took the worst of it. In fact he had most of it there. It didn't bother him at all. At it's worst all he did was itch about 2 or 3 times a mark on his arm. Worried it means he's not had enough of a dose for immunity later on. Always better to get it young, they supposedly don't take it badly if.very young.

I hope it clears quickly. Tesco has a £3 inflatable paddling pool. Our lad has a little plastic slide going into it and it's great for cooling him down.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My little lad had it in April when we were on holiday. His bits took the worst of it. In fact he had most of it there. It didn't bother him at all. At it's worst all he did was itch about 2 or 3 times a mark on his arm. Worried it means he's not had enough of a dose for immunity later on. Always better to get it young, they supposedly don't take it badly if.very young......

Yeah I had it before I started school. But getting it at all means a higher risk for shingles when older. Best course (too late for Dwardo now) is to be vaccinated against it as soon as eligible: First dose at 12 to 15 months, and second dose at 4 to 6 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chickenpox Vaccination: What Everyone Should Know

At a Glance
Varicella vaccination
CDC recommends two doses of chickenpox vaccine for children, adolescents, and adults. Children should receive two doses of the vaccine—the first dose at 12 through 15 months old and a second dose at 4 through 6 years old

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I work in a large shed with a single skin roof with clear panels which.act like a greenhouse. Add to that with an internal block wall office in the centre without ventilation... it's hot to say the least.
I worked at 16 for British Aerospace for the summer in an even larger shed with the same style roof. They had a max min thermometer on the side of the clocking in panel in the central corridor. At the.end of the day and mid afternoon it often read 38°C! All we got was a free orange squash the day it topped 40°C. I also had to cycle up a 1 in 4 hill to go up on high geared road bike. Not a pleasant summer,but the money was good.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's so hot here that the snakes disappear after about 0700, and don't come back out. I love this heat, but I need data or I don't get paid as much :( Still some upsides though, as I can sit on a sunny bank against an ancient oak, pull my hat over my face and relax for an hour or two before heading off to ye olde pub by the river. Happy days.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes, shingles is the same virus that's got into the nervous system. You can get pox from shingles but not the other way round. Shingles is not nice I've heard.
There's some who believe it best to get pox when very young. There is such a thing as pox parties. That's where parents of toddlers or babies get together and invite a kid with chicken pox with the hope they catch it. Part of the view that it's best to get very young. Madness.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was in Merthyr Tydfil today and the fashion trends were

Young girls...cut off shorts and sleveless tops
Young men...Bermuda shorts and flip flops (no top)
Men over forty...Bermuda shorts, vests and flip flops.

Its a real fashion power house here in the valleys and you could hear flesh searing as you walked around. I think there will be one or two very, very, very sore people later on tonight.

Same in Caerleon today, except the women were better looking than Merthyr girls. :cool:

Isn't it odd how last year everyone was complaining about the lack of summer sun, and this year people are complaining because it is too hot. There's no such thing as miserable weather; it is just people who are miserable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, shingles is the same virus that's got into the nervous system. You can get pox from shingles but not the other way round. Shingles is not nice I've heard.
There's some who believe it best to get pox when very young. There is such a thing as pox parties. That's where parents of toddlers or babies get together and invite a kid with chicken pox with the hope they catch it. Part of the view that it's best to get very young. Madness.

My Mum tried innumerable times for me to catch chickenpox, and it just didn't ever take. My sons got chickenpox when they were at Primary school. I was 29 when I caught it from them.
Trust me on this; you do not want to catch chicken pox as an adult :sigh:
I have had real 'flu, Singapore flu, and I honestly thought I was dying, none of this 48 hour nonsense, it was months before I was back on my feet properly; chickenpox came pretty close as an utter misery. I couldn't find enough skin that was clear of pox to rub up a lather with a bar of soap in the shower; it was literally that bad. They were even inside my mouth, on the eyelids, etc., My skin crawled for days; achy, feverish, and thoroughly ill.

I'm sorry the bairns are unwell, but they're young and otherwise healthy and they'll bounce back quickly we hope; I still think it better they get the damned disease now than later.

Cheery topic for a muggy night. It's still 17C here. I went for a dawdle down the burn path earlier (I could hear the deer down at the burn) and it felt blessedly cool under the trees :)

atb,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes, shingles is the same virus that's got into the nervous system. You can get pox from shingles but not the other way round. Shingles is not nice I've heard......

I have an aunt who used to get shingles (she'd also had chicken pox as a child) As soon as she was old enough to qualify for the shingles vaccine she jumped on the chance. Surprisingly (to me at least) shingles is actually a form of herpes. www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/vacc-need-know.htm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Herpes is actually, "a family of eight different viruses known as Herpesviridae. It's a DNA virus, which means that its genetic material is made of DNA and it replicates through RNA in the nucleus of a cell. The blisters are just the physical symptoms of the virus. If you "have" herpes, that means that you've been infected by one of these viruses at some point and it's living in your cells. Exactly where it lives depends on the type of herpes virus. "

So, from cold sores to chickenpox to shingles....it's all Herpesviridae.

Back to the heatwave though :sigh:..... it's 34.2 in the shade and 42degC in the sunshine in the backgarden just now.
It is most uncomfortable. Indeed, I'm wishing I'd gotten someway to hang my hammock in the shade so I could go for a siesta.

atb,
M

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm in Orkney where it was 27C yesterday and not much cooler today. Wonderful sunset over Kirkwall harbour last night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE