Not yet half past ten yet this heat is brutal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Upfront, I'm a brunette, but with the fair skin, freckles and green eyes of the redhead....the red bits in my hair have all gone silver :) Me and the sun have a dodgy kind of relationship anyway.

It's not yet half past ten in the morning and already it's 28.9 degC in my garden at 50% humidity.

I've been up since six, and I've done two hours work in the garden; I'm beat and I'm spending the rest of the day dodging the sunshine.

It's absolutely beautiful but when even the robin comes and sits down on the path beside me and pants pathetically :rolleyes: it's time to find the shade.

I'm awash with fruit though (rasps and blackcurrants) and I need to make jam; a lot of jam. In this heat though...... :/
We'll no' be doing that.

Hope it's lovely where you are, and you don't need to slave in the heat.

atb,
Toddy

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
As with everything, it's all relative

The temp when i returned to my car on Wednesday

10502328_10152567819854851_19240238_zps7d572e02.jpg

It's not even August yet, it'll only get hotter in August :(

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's hot!

It's how I like it here- about 10-12 degrees, light breeze, very little cloud and just nice for me. I'm going to take the dog out now- she'll have a cracking time charging about after sticks :D.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cross posted with Cameron......who I frankly envy lots right now !

Reply to cbr6fs
I'd be dead.

16 or 17C and I'm running around in my bare feet wearing short sleeved cotton or linen tops.
20 and I'm feeling it kind of warm.
25 and I'm utterly miserable.
Today....today is a total siesta.

atb,
M

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
That was with the car parked in the sun, it was/is mid 30c's in the shade.

Might sound strange for someone that moved to Greece from England, but i really really don't like the summers here.
First summer i moved here it hit 45c in the shade, in those days i was commuting to work on my pushbike, it really felt like the heat was stripping the skin off you and your lungs were on fire.

Absolutely love Greek winters, hate hate hate Greek summers :(

Still on the good side it does mean that i can put away all my coats and pullovers till the end of September as it's unlikely it'll rain till then (in Athens) and the temp isn't going to drop out of the 30c's till then either.

Sadly though it does mean i'm not going hiking during the day till Sept/Oct either, made the mistake of going out at 15:00 last week and the poor old dog burnt her pads the ground was that hot :(

So it's only really early morning or night hikes for a few months.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Already tryin to stay cool here too, maybe that fruit could be turned into ice lollies Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmmm, fruit sorbets :D
You know ? I think I will :D

cbr6fs, I really, really, could not take that kind of heat.
My brother and SIL were here last month and as they asked when I was going to come out and visit them in Australia.
It was the first time my SIL had been here and hadn't had to go out and buy thermal underwear :rolleyes:....I don't think they make ice ones for folks like me. I can't see me visiting Australia though; another too hot place.

M

Last edited:

Bungie

Dec 16, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Hmmmm, fruit sorbets :D
You know ? I think I will :D

cbr6fs, I really, really, could not take that kind of heat.
My brother and SIL were here last month and as they asked when I was going to come out and visit them in Australia.
It was the first time my SIL had been here and hadn't had to go out and buy thermal underwear :rolleyes:....I don't think they make ice ones for folks like me. I can't see me visiting Australia though; another too hot place.

M

I dunno, I'm in Brisbane. -2c yesterday morning :(

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
That was with the car parked in the sun, it was/is mid 30c's in the shade.

Might sound strange for someone that moved to Greece from England, but i really really don't like the summers here.
First summer i moved here it hit 45c in the shade, in those days i was commuting to work on my pushbike, it really felt like the heat was stripping the skin off you and your lungs were on fire.

Absolutely love Greek winters, hate hate hate Greek summers :(

Still on the good side it does mean that i can put away all my coats and pullovers till the end of September as it's unlikely it'll rain till then (in Athens) and the temp isn't going to drop out of the 30c's till then either.

Sadly though it does mean i'm not going hiking during the day till Sept/Oct either, made the mistake of going out at 15:00 last week and the poor old dog burnt her pads the ground was that hot :(

So it's only really early morning or night hikes for a few months.

Having spent six years there I know exactly what you mean. Unless I really have to go I stay away July August. My poor wife is stuck there for another week. Now I just go for spring and Autumn.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Mentioning pure fruit lollies had set the idea in my head, i'v got some blandberries of several varieties in the fridge that would do the job, i'm sure they'd not touch the flavour of your garden varieties, although the loch ness blackberries are nice n tarty

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Much less work than jam, sad to say i seem to have eaten my tasty blackberries at some point last night so i had to make do with red grapes and a handful of blueberries, these should be frozen by the hottest part of today

attachment.php

attachment.php

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grapes freeze very well indeed :D and they're a nice munchy for a summer evening with salad or crudites and cheeses.
Thinking on it, I'm sure I froze half a kg a month ago :D

I'm away to stand in a cool shower. It's now 31.1 degC and there's not a cheep out there; I think the birds are hiding from it too.

M

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's not yet half past ten in the morning and already it's 28.9 degC in my garden at 50% humidity.

I've been up since six, and I've done two hours work in the garden; I'm beat and I'm spending the rest of the day dodging the sunshine.

People ask me if I miss the sunshine in Australia . . . I say I've been a builder's labourer in Oz and Yorkshire and I'd rather labour outside with sleet falling than under an Australian summer sun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE