Not yet half past ten yet this heat is brutal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'm a fair bit more northerly than most folks, went home for lunch and the thermometer in the shed said it was 30c ! I couldn't believe it was that hot, I have the advantage of being right on the coast so usually there's a nice cool breeze around.

Much prefer to be cool than hot. If I'm cold I can put another jumper on, if I'm too hot I can get down to my pants but then I start to scare people.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hot here too. I'm dodging the workshop as much as possible today as the thermometer in there is in the 30's.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, I've dug in a blizzard with more comfort than I did under a high twenties and full sun.
I love those calm days with thin, high, high cloud that lets warmth and light through but obscures the savageness of it.
It's now 32.7 degC.

M

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I was lucky, I got my Dad's red hair (that started going grey when I was about 14) and my Mum's skin that tans easily. My sister got the short straw and had the selection the other way around.

I don't mind the heat but it takes a couple of days to acclimatise to it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just nipped out to the workshop shed :yikes:
Not a place to spend any time in just now....it's at 37degC

In comparison, with the windows and doors open, and facing away from the sun now, my kitchen's a balmy 23.4.

Himself, who already looks like he's spent a month in somewhere equatorial from this summer's sunshine, is away for a walk up Tinto or thereabouts. He's happy in this heat, and I'm miserable.
Roll on evening :)

M

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
9:43am EDT it is 68 degreesF (20d C) and 73% humidity here in Ohio. Supposed to get up to 82 ( 27.7C) today. I am one of those people that does not like really hot weather. I would rather be a bit cold than be to hot.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I've dug in a blizzard with more comfort than I did under a high twenties and full sun.
I love those calm days with thin, high, high cloud that lets warmth and light through but obscures the savageness of it.
It's now 32.7 degC.

M

Yeah it gives a bit of a false sense of security. It feels a bit cooler (and is) but the UV skin damage usually is just as savage.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That was with the car parked in the sun, it was/is mid 30c's in the shade.

Might sound strange for someone that moved to Greece from England, but i really really don't like the summers here.
First summer i moved here it hit 45c in the shade, in those days i was commuting to work on my pushbike, it really felt like the heat was stripping the skin off you and your lungs were on fire.....

I've only spent a few weeks in Greece in Summer (back in 1980) However, I went there from Nellis AFB (Las Vegas, Nevada) Greece was actually a bit cooler than the Mojave. More importantly though, I was much younger (23) and thinner. Those two things make a whole world of difference.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not even 10:00 here yet and partly cloudy. It's already up to 82f ambient (27.8c) with the RH factor pushing the felt temp to 91f (32.8c) Todays high is supposed to be a balmy 90f ambient (32.2) All in all, this Summer has been fairly cool.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah it gives a bit of a false sense of security. It feels a bit cooler (and is) but the UV skin damage usually is just as savage.

I don't step out the door without f15 and f50 dependant winter or summer. I was read the riot act by a Dermatologist who was overseeing the aftermath of a bad cleg bite.
I technically score a 1 on the Fitzpatrick scale, though I think I'm nearer a 2 with my hair colouring.
http://www.standtanning.com/The_Fitzpatrick_Skin.pdf

Hats; hats are very good things :D so are the UV protective shirts :D North Face ones are excellent :cool:

You live near the equator though Santaman2000; I live near 55deg North :rolleyes: It's blooming hot today.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't step out the door without f15 and f50 dependant winter or summer. I was read the riot act by a Dermatologist who was overseeing the aftermath of a bad cleg bite.
I technically score a 1 on the Fitzpatrick scale, though I think I'm nearer a 2 with my hair colouring.
http://www.standtanning.com/The_Fitzpatrick_Skin.pdf

Hats; hats are very good things :D so are the UV protective shirts :D North Face ones are excellent :cool:

You live near the equator though Santaman2000; I live near 55deg North :rolleyes: It's blooming hot today.

cheers,
Toddy

Smart woman; and a very good dermatologist.

Not exactly near the Equator here though; TBH I'm not even in the Tropics. I'm slightly above Lat 30 N here.

All that aside, I remember when I was stationed there (RAF Fairford in southern England) it would have been considered a heat wave on the rare occasion it reached the 80s fahrenheit. Seems to be more common now.

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
46c when we visited Knossos on Crete, fabulous, shade was welcome but walking on the Bull Court was special. Oddly it felt hotter on Hawaii when it was in the thirties.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Been unlucky today, spent three hours 12-3pm unloading a shipping container that had been in the sun since 7 am this morning.
Sweat bucket loads.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It's only 20c here and i am hiding in the shade burning leccy on fans to keep cool

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself's just downloaded the temperature details from the weather station....36.3degC at a little past 2 this afternoon.
Johnnyboy1971, you have my complete and utter sympathy. At least I could keep out of the worst of it.

atb,
M

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I'm slightly above Lat 30 N here.

All that aside, I remember when I was stationed there (RAF Fairford in southern England) it would have been considered a heat wave on the rare occasion it reached the 80s fahrenheit. Seems to be more common now.

When I first went to Florida (wearing a wool suit) I was amazed to see the condensation running down the outside of all the buildings. And in that suit I had to dodge from one air-conditioned space to another all day.

Coincidentally I'll be at Fairford next week. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't step out the door without f15 and f50 dependant winter or summer.

cheers,
Toddy

Anyone who thinks this is not a good idea should PM me. Malignant skin cancer is nothing to mess with. I still cannot remove my shirt in public for fear of scaring the horses - and I am amongst the lucky ones.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I made a simple rule ten years ago, if working in a hot country, always find time for a ice cream.
Today was deceptive started off cloudly and cold then wham blam SCORCHIO.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE