Not very portable smoker / barbeque

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clay*pigeon

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
W. Scotland
Ages ago I made this small(ish) stove. After catching a pile of mackeral I decided to make a smoker a bit bigger than a biscuit tin which i was using before. The stove became the smoke source. It's not quite finished because yesterday we had a chance to get out in the canoe, to catch said mackeral, so a quick botch and it's been christened. :)

[IMG

]

ArgyllandBute-20140914-00603_zpsb8d34476.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mack13

Jul 15, 2013
Wiltshire
That is a beast! Hope it works out well..I could live on mackerel ,tastiest fish in the ocean =) let us know how tasty they turn out after being in the belly of that beast.

clay*pigeon

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
W. Scotland
They are still smoking, slight problem, wind changed direction and now can't open doors or windows, I'll take more pics later of the 3 tier smoker inside and the bbq conversion !

Dansvidania

Aug 27, 2014
Italy
Hey, this looks pretty cool!

Does the smoke chamber get very hot? And how long does it take to finish smoking the fishes (I guess you filleted them beforehand?)

clay*pigeon

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
W. Scotland
Well thats them finished smoking, tasted braw. Some of them were filleted and the whole fish were placed nearest the chimney, they are all hot smoked even the fillets furthest away from the chimney.
They were going for about 5 hours, but that was with the fire well damped, to get more smokiness about them without overcooking.

This is them after the top layer of grids have been removed.

ArgyllandBute-20140914-00606_zps0ba4038b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks wonderful!

If you don't might a suggestion? Put a couple of 90 degree bends on the flue leading from the stove to the smoker so that heat doesn't rise directly into the smoker.

Either way though - damned good job - I really admire people who just get out and do stuff!

clay*pigeon

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
W. Scotland
Always open to suggestions, this was a quick lash up, trying to source some more flue to cool the smoke to try some cold smoking.
I have still got original chimney, so use it in some sort of setup next time.
100_1617.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE