Not such a good idea.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
There is loads of stuff listed here that I would Buy.:lmao:

Some of it sounds great, it should go into the classifieds.

My bad buys

British Army Patrol boots size 10 only worn six or seven times(for sale) got fed up with doing all those laces up-reminded me of my 20 hole docs.:)

Waterproof ruck sack liner, to thick for me to get inside the rucksack (swapped)

just two that spring to mind from a long list.

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
Over the years quite a few things but none come to mind at the moment. Just recently I've been tinkering with the idea of making a WoodGas Stove. I bought a few tins from woolies, then moved onto an old SS flask, and lastly a doubled walled Ice Bucket.

Not having the right drills for the ice bucket but gave it a go anyway. After a few mismatched holes I found that the double walls of the bucket were ok but the base wasn't (to thin).
I need to rethink this through as buying the bucket was about £18 (waste of money) unless I can rescue it some how ?

Tom

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Berhaus Bio Flex 65+10 rucksac - the flexi back system is a gimmick - squeaks as you walk, ok for first few miles then its just annoying, plus its too big and far too easy to take stuff 'just because i can fit it in my big ol bag'.

Someone bought me a potato chip maker for christmas - peel spud, load in to device (looks like a thing for making newspaper logs for't fire), press handle and hey presto - chips, takes 30 mins to clean (I didn't see what was wrong with method number one - peel spud, cut with knife in to chip size pieces !!) Still, I'll wait 6 months and send it off to eBay.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Oh so many............

And if my wife saw this thread the list would just get bigger and bigger.........

Numerous small hooped one person bivi tents. Always ended up with a tarp and a goretex bivi bag underneath. Sold them or gave them away.

The pot stand and the additional pots and pans for a Kelly kettle, they really are a gimmick. Basic kettle is great, but the base unit needs a trivet over it to be used as a fire box for cooking. Much prefer my Yukon for that though.

My wife's Mercedes Vito 3.8ltr PETROL people carrier, fantastic car, needed a garage in tow to keep it filled up.

SHE would say, all my toys! Sharps tents et al, but I wouldn't!

And the biggest thing of all is not what I bought or obtained and never used, but the waste and cost to me when we moved to Jordan.

I loaded up a trailer with gas bottles, water containers, cookers, gloves, all kinds of other camping and canoeing bits and pieces......... and gave it away.

never thought I would need them again. So what am I doing now?

Buying it all again just at twice the price here and half the quality.

F@@k@@@ Numpty!

Just mentioned this thread to my wife........ Reply.............. "Don't get me started"!

Told you!

Alan L.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Bought myself, the family actually, a 4-person biungalowtent with 2 sleepingcompartments, so we all could go out camping together.
Kids were still little, so keeping them close was a good idea.

The thing has been up in the loft for 5 years now and never left it. Didn't even make it out of the carrying bag!!

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Oilstones for me!!! A couple of years ago I thought I'd get one....Whilst looking on the bay I saw all these 'antique' ones. 'Those old woodworking boys knew quality' thought I....Subsequently I own about 10 of the buggers in different conditions which cost me a goodly sum as some were bought from the US - I maybe use one or two of them 2 or 3 times a year at best. The rest just sit there gathering dust.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Cheapie 4 - berth tent. Pole snapped on the second use. Raised a complaint to the seller, who raised it to the manufacturer, who eventually, after threats of litigation and public exposure, sent us a free 6-berth tent as a replacement. Damn thing is far too big for the two of us, and just sits in the loft gathering dust and being in the way.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
A Camelback water bladder. Used on a moose hunt once. The water in the hose froze and the bladder has since been living far back in the closet.

Neoprene gloves. Was bought for use at work when operating a teodolite. Boy, were those gloves useless in sub zero temperature.

Garmin GPS unit. It works nicely enough, but I never bother to bring it a long anymore because it was (almost) never used in the field.

Russian night vision scope (bought in the early 90`s). Been used once, to spot a howling red fox from my bedroom window. Barely saw it, only 200 meters away on snow covered ground. What a piece of crap.

British army DPM NBC suit. I wonder what on earth I was thinking when I bought it.
Still have it though…somewhere.

Tor

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Karrimor Sabre 45 + side pouches: No back system, not long enough, no belt support. Bought because others raved about it - how very vert wrong...

Karrimor Sabre 35: No back system, not long enough......you get the idea.....

Osprey packs on the other hand are amazing!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Morris marina 1.8 circa 1972 model in dayglo orange. Had 60,000 on the clock when I bought it but it might as well have been 160k. :deadhorse:

It was easily the worst car I've owned, the standard of workmanship was terrible.

I was once on the motorway in fog and was pulled over by the cops who told me my back lights weren't working.

"They were when I set off" I replied (which was true).

He looked the car up and down, decided I was not speaking with forked tongue and let me go.

More recently a cheap airbed for my son. First night in the tent, he turned over in his sleep, there was a pop followed by a hiss and he slowly descended to earth...

Last edited:

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Running shoes - I bought some real nice running shoes on a whim when my girlfriend suggested we start running. I forgot to take into account that i HATE running. I have used them once in the 6 months I have owned them. Bought an exercise bike instead - due to storage problems I cannot have a push bike, nowhere to store it in the flat :(

An electric razor/shaver - assuming they were quicker, easier and less irritation I bought a pretty good phillips one with great reviews Used it for about a month before growing sick and tired of spending maybe 20 minutes battling to get those stubborn hairs and your skin comes out red raw. Went back to good old wet shave and use the trusty Wahl trimmer to sort out the beard. Worst £70-80 ever spent.

Ford Fiesta 1.25 LX 1996 model - bought this heap of junk 2-3 years ago for £500 after passing my test late in life 23-24 as I was short up on cash and was told they are great little runners. ALWAYS started up due to the genius Yamaha engine but everything made by ford, the rest of the car needed replacing. Spent maybe £1000 on the car in god knows what that needed doing and even then it wasn't right. I remember thinking to myself "O please someone crash into this heap of crap and write it off". Fortune/misfortune would have it that someone drove up the back of me whilst at stand still and wrote the car off. I got whiplash which wasn't great but managed to get £800 for the car and £3500 compensation. Only problem was the guy who drove into me was a worthless scumbag who to this day did not accept liability and so my insurance has gone up as a result. He stopped responding to my solicitor after he was informed we were pressing for damages. Ho hum, he will get his, as my car did for bleeding my pockets dry! Only kidding, it was a mistreated little trooper really...

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Freelander mk 1 what a s*&% heap and about £5k later it got sold for peanuts.........

on an upward note the J reg 90 was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE