Norwich and Norfolk group?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
hello all,
i met up with Snufkin today coulden't spend much time together i had family duties :( (had to swap children with my wife).

but snufkin is a nice chap we talked about flint knapping and potential teaching, tried some of the many leaves on offer in the bushcraft supermarket that is mousehold heath.

if we can meet up i'm sure there is plenty of knowledge snufkin seems pretty clued up on loads of stuff.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i shall be adding some new dates for a meet up soon,

has anyone noticed the swifts/swallows have arrived! it must be summer! :D

just bought myself an Arktis type SAS hammock/stretcher (though i know full well it's a standard issue hammock) for £15(hoopers norwich).
i hope to give it a full trial and will be bringing it on our next meetup as well as my hennassey hammock which you also may wish to try.

bring along any kit you think might be interesting for the rest of the group!

cheers Rich

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I’ve just had a read through this thread and thought I might comment.

There seems to be a few issues that cold have been avoided. The key to the meets that people have is that they’re fairly casual things and anyone that wants to go can go, anyone that wants to organise one can do so.

The difficulty here seems to be that there’s talk of groups and areas they cover etc…People put a lot of time and effort into organising meets for others and it can get a bit touchy if it’s not appreciated. The best way of avoiding these issues is to just say you’re staying out at so and so, on so and so and anyone is welcome, then people reply if they so wish and it gets sorted.

If it’s too far for some and convenient for others then people go or not as they see fit. Do what you want to do and invite other people, if it becomes a regular thing then great, there’s more options for people in the area. It’s impossible to have defined boundaries and groups, I appreciate that it’s just terminology but it can be misleading.

This needs to be viewed as another opportunity to get out, not as anything competitive.

Just me 2p

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers for that tony, your 2p is always welcome!

ok some new dates for your diary! :)

18th, 19th, or 21st of may prehaps alnonger meet up this time? or 2 days?

tell us what you want!
walk, drink, bush skills, food etc etc

sorry can't do it sooner because of work.

Rather than PM'ing me stick your availability on the thread
so others can see when you are free, and adapt their plans so we can meet as a bigger group.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
My point was RAP that it's easier to say...."there's a few of us camping here on the ..... anyone that wants to come is welcome, we're going to be doing this and this". let me know if you fancy coming.

Something like that anyway. It saves on lots of disappointment and energy that way.

Saying that I've interfered enough now, it's your get together.

I hope all of you that go have a fantastic time. :You_Rock_

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
18th and 19th are a nono for me, may be able to make the 21st though :) .

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi all good news had a word with my father in law today and he says it would be fine for a small group(up to 6) to Bushcraft camp on his land!

it's a place in the fenns called "coldham", nr wisbech, cambridgeshire.

it's an orchard/ field a couple of places for hammocks but tent/tarp would be easier. the only places suitable for hammocks are right next to a fairly busy road (6ft away)!

plenty of fire wood, wild plants etc. not much material for natrual shelters but you could try ideas out on a smaller scale or 1 man shelters.

can't cut trees but i'll make sure there'll be some cut for us to "play" with!

says we can do pretty much, what we want as long as we don't damage stuff which i think is fair!

more details will follow

:You_Rock_

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Would love to come on some of these meets, but can't during May or June since the exams are pretty heavy. Hope to come to some after that.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
sure, no problem biddlesby,
we shall organise other stuff later on!

just got a messege from Kane says he/she will be up for some of the meets, but is very busy at present!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
ok,well i'm going off to work this weekend, going to try out my sas hammock as an A-frame pole bed, already installed a mozzie net i'll get some photos of the set up.
anyone else up for a meet up 18th, 19th, or 21st?
:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Back from work again,
knackered, dirty, twigs in my sleeping bag you know how it is! :rolleyes:

Hi Snufkin are you still ok for a meetup on the 21st? :)
any one else is welcome but please make yourself know so we know who to look for! cheers.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i can't meet untill 1pm, but i'll happily meet any time after that, do you have a preferance?
i shall bring some of my gear for you to play with. :)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ok, Meet under the tree again, I may be a few minutes late so 1.10? I'll have to head off at about 4pm though.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cool no problem, i shall be there.

the offer is still open to anyone else in the norwich area that would like to meet up, make yourselves known so we know who to look for! :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:lmao: Well the rest of you guy's are missing out! :lmao:

i met up with Snufkin today, not the best weather but we didn't let the rain stop us haveing a great meet!

i took my MoD and Hennessy hammock for Snufkin to try, i think he liked the hennessy :rolleyes:

we took a long walk around mousehold heath and found loads of useful plants ready to use:

Nettle
Dock
Burdock
Jack by the hedge
Colts foot

on our travels we came across an abundance of "Jews-Ear" funghi of which we tried and Snufkin collected a handful to take home.

during a tea break Snufkin showed me his Flint and steel(traditional type) which Snufkin Taught me to use, My first Flint and steel ember! :You_Rock_

i only thought it fair to repay the favour and showed Snufkin a huge copiced lime tree ready to chop!
on the way bck from the lime we spotted some 2" thick Clematis which i " :rolleyes: collected" with my pocket chainsaw! for us both18" each :D

we have discussed prehaps on a weekend we will get together a Bushcraft menu of things they have not tried!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
It was a grand day out despite the rain :) .
I do fancy one of those Hennessys(sp?), I might have to get myself one of those if we do do a weekender.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi jay-jay,

Welcome to BCUK! :D
feel free to join in, bring your own skills and or experience even if it's stuff you've just heard of you want to try!

i shall send you a PM!
Cheers
Rich.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE