Norwich and Norfolk group?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
oh well,
mabey next time, i was just going to say i could pick you up! :(
Cheers mate, I was going to bring my hand drill set as I finally managed to get a coal last night :D (I cheated slightly by using a thumb loop). I wont be able to demo it until the blisters go down but other folks could have had a try.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Blisters...phew i know what that's like!

and thumb loops isn't cheating! it's a well recognised technique, used by (my boss) Dave Watson himself!

i was looking forward to my steel :(
i guess you were looking forward to your wood supply! :(

prehaps we could meet up in the week?, i'll PM!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
Blisters...phew i know what that's like!

and thumb loops isn't cheating! it's a well recognised technique, used by (my boss) Dave Watson himself!

i was looking forward to my steel :(
i guess you were looking forward to your wood supply! :(

prehaps we could meet up in the week?, i'll PM!
I haven't had a chance to fire up the forge yet so no steel. As I can't make the meet up I may have some time later in the day to have a play.
By the way, I used that wood we collected (was it clematis? I can't remember) as my hearth, with a budlea drill.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi what we got up to today!

well if anyone else had turned up it would have been a crowd :(

anyway "Lord lurcher" and i had a nice walk around Ringland hills

we stopped to try my new home made group shelter, made form 3 IPK sheets, it's not put up as i normally would but you get the idea!
it's a bit shabby from this angle, but theres a Burghaus 100l bag leaned up against it to show scale!
ee1fbd86.jpg

next my glamorous assistant shows the inside set up as a roof & wall.
ee1fbd6b.jpg

and a side view, it's fair to say if put up correctly it will be fine, but it was wobbly when i took the photos!
ee1fbd4b.jpg

we came across lloads of BMX/Mountain bike jumps ramps and a seemingly suicidal jump of 8ft+ aimed at a tree i'll take photos next time, you won't believe it!:eek: :eek:

we had a good chat and after exploring the area, which is fairly large and full of bushcraft goodies we stopped and i taught Lordlurcher how to make string from bramble, we also found Birch bark poliphore(?) fungus that's excellent for knife sharpening ember holding/growing, and as shown on ray mears bushcraft programe a sticky plaster (don't ask!).

please if you can't come next time give me some notice as soon as you can! :(

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Looks like a useful shelter. I've heared from some of my riding mates that Ringlands is pretty mental. I'm a XC rider an and like to keep my tyres on the ground.
Hopefully I'll be able to make the next meetup, sorry to let you guys down at such short notice :eek:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hopefully I'll be able to make the next meetup, sorry to let you guys down at such short notice
that's ok, you gave me loads of warning! ;)
I've heared from some of my riding mates that Ringlands is pretty mental
Mental is putting it mildly :1244: !
i 've seen alot of mad mountain biking in magazines like Mountin bike UK and various videos showing stunts and jumps but the jump we saw was something else! litterally a home made ramp at shoulder height 2ft wide at the most 30 ft long and aimed 8 ft high into thin air!
i can do drop offs and a fair bit of trials skills but seriously you could kill yourself on this'n! :togo: you'd need a seriously expensive bike just to take the stress from the fall! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Well I tried to come! I realised the meet was on a bit late, and set off at 3:45 on a rickety bike. Took me 45 minutes, and don't mention the hills around ringland. I also cycled in circles a bit around ringland until i realised what was "ringland hills" were the woods I've been numerous times but always thought of as "ringland"! Anyway I had a few experiments (finally got clematis bark to light with a firesteel - and you're right about it being a good hearth for a handrill, rappelby; close but no ember), then cycled home. It would be good to have your mobile number(s) in future!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
sorry to hear about the wasted trip sounds tiring!

i was with Lord lucher all over the hills so you'd have been lucky to find us anyway! ;)

what i'll do is send a PM with My mobile no.! :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
what i'm going to do shortly is start a new thread for this group, as you can see from the page number it's 18 pages!
anyone first wanting to join us will have to read the whole lot to find out what we're about!

what i'll do on the first few pages is show some of our photo's and film! to show newbies what we're about!

don't worry it'll be the same name same people!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Don't post anything else here theres a new Norwich norfolk group thread!

see you on the new thread! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE