Norwich and Norfolk group?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
As my partner lives in Lowestoft my time off work is spent either there or here (Milton Keynes). We often like to get out to Thetford Forrest and the surrounding areas for a wander and a rummage when we have free time at that end of the country.
Assuming that we are in the right area of the country at the time do you mind if we invite ourselves to a meet-up some time?

I've tried to find Mousehold Heath on the map but can't find it at all. Any clues?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Longstrider said:
As my partner lives in Lowestoft my time off work is spent either there or here (Milton Keynes). We often like to get out to Thetford Forrest and the surrounding areas for a wander and a rummage when we have free time at that end of the country.
Assuming that we are in the right area of the country at the time do you mind if we invite ourselves to a meet-up some time?

I've tried to find Mousehold Heath on the map but can't find it at all. Any clues?
Everyone is welcome :) . Mousehold heath is smack in the middle of Norwich.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi yup the more the merrier!
snufkin and i would love to see more people if only to share the lovely weather :rolleyes:

to find mousehold heath find out where the Norwich Prison is, the heath is next to it.

Jay-Jay, you can bring who you want just bear in mind her personal safety because although most of us are sane, :rolleyes: i have come across one or two strange people that i would keep well away from!(thankfully nothing to do with bushcraft!)

Longstrider,
hi, feel free to join us whenever you want to,
i'm hopeing to get a weekend date set up soon,
make sure you keep an eye on this thread for dates and feel free to ask questions etc
i shall send you a PM.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ok next time free in my diary for a meet-up

10th or 11th of june, tell us which you'd prefer!

also i have some ideas for activities for us tell us which you would like to do:

Hike and learn (teaching each other stuff on the way)

natrual food (collect and try natrual foods)

camp set up (have a go at camp crafts like gadgets and shelters)

natrual cordage, (not quite time of year but soon!)

fire lighting ( i have some bowdrill gear i can lend you).

modern cheats (looking at modern equipment to help the bushcrafter)

tell us your favourites and i'll organise it!

Jay-Jay

May 11, 2006
Thetford
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
Jay-Jay, you can bring who you want just bear in mind her personal safety

She earned her black belt at age 11 so she'll be quite safe. :cool:

Any time you want to go is fine with me, and i'll try everything we have time for mate. Cordage sounds good - is that with nettles?. How the hell do you do anything with nettles without getting stung to death?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
gloves! :lmao:

not really, it's just how you handle them that's the trick! i'll show you!

nettles are the best fibre we have, but as i say the they have to grow a bit first.

Brambles are also good but again growth needed
:)

lord lurcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
norwich, norfolk
Soz Rapp for my absence on your last meet! I,ve been putting up a workshop at mine and it has been a mare! Anyway i'm well up for the 11 or 12, are you going mousehold? If you fancy a change my local knowledge is pretty good and i do know some nice areas with public access ( erm and without! :lmao: ) most are fairly quiet as well with no pesky mountain bikers! I'd really like to meet some of the others as well, if there are ever any transport probs i'll pick up/drop off up to 3 peeps if they live in norfolk! I never mind, i was without four wheels once and havent forgotten how that limited my range or caused untold hassle with unreliable public transport!!!!!! Anyway i will p.m. you my no. and if you have spare evenings we could always have a mooch and i'll even stand you a pint after!! Hope to see ya 'll soon :cool:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thats the weekend that we hope to be at the FM Meet 2 I'm afraid. If the Meet doesn't get enough bodies to happen, we shall be at the wrong end of the country anyway.
Have to catch up with you folks another time.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
longstrider sorry mate,
unfortunately i have to work also, so i have to pick and choose best times too. no matter, i'm sure something we arrange will be good for you, also keep an eye on the "east anglia thread" incase there is something else available.

hey, lord lurcher,
nice to hear from you again,
yup totally up for a new place to visit,
what area did you have in mind?

also i remember you saying you had Bushcrafty friend/s in Norwich, would they be interested in joining us?

Jay-jay
are you able to join us? don't worry about directions, we can go in convoy or something.

something for the group as a whole:

there are 2 new sites which i am trying to find out about for camp overs,
both in the area of lenwade(gt wichingham).

the first site is owned by a friend of a friend's dad(farmer), and is pristene mixed woodland 7acres-ish it hasn't even got a gate or path going into it! literally a machette job just to get in but i have camped there previously, it has coppiced hazel, a marsh area, a running stream, loads of bracken, standing deadwood, and a great open camp area, no toilet facilities at all but i'm sure you'll agree worth it!
i am seriously considering asking to rent the area too!
but i need to contact the owner and prehaps do a couple of solo camps to sweeten him before bringing others to the site. :rolleyes:

the other site i am less interested in is a disused area near a friends work place, basically he knows of an area what he says is woodland(can't be sure), that has been used as a landrover off road course, haveing seen a few of these i know they have lots of patches of undergrowth and areas probably suitable for camping on.
i haven't seen this site but my friend says it would be great for a few people to camp on, i don't have any other details untill he gets back to me. :confused:

also whilst working for a local conservation group i know of several areas that we could stop of at for tea breaks without getting hasstled and that will provide (season specific)hazel, birch, willow, reedmace, rosebay willowherb, and various wild foods.

send me a PM if you want to know more.

it's good to see the group is forming well,
when i have met some more of you (and each other)
we shall set a date for a weekend camp.

just a date for your diary's i will be at the
Norfolk show 28th-29th June(wednesday/thursday),
demonstrating bowdrill firelighting for "woodland survival crafts" located in the woodland crafts area

come and say hello,
(i'll be the youngest least ugly one!!) :lmao: :lmao:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
rappleby
Is it an open invite for the 10-11 th of june it would be great to meet up with others i too am a complete newbie have had a couple of nights out but not what you would call bushcrafting, have you any details ie is it an overnighter etc, as long as work allows i might be able to make it if that is okay.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
as open as you want it mate!
no qualifications, free, etc etc :D

keep viewing this thread as we may be meeting somewhere else!

i'll be very glad to meet you! bring a friend too if you want!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I've sent a PM to lord lercher he had a place he thought would be nice to visit.
he should get back to me or us in the next day or so. :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi again i've had a word with Lord Lurcher
he says:

i was thinking possibly the heath at hevingham, woodland scrub and heath land loads of wildlife and foodstuffs!! Its only bout 4 miles out of norwich

sounds good to me!

i reckon it's probably best to meet up somewhere and drive on to the place as a group so everyone can find it!

Jay-Jay

May 11, 2006
Thetford
Somewhere easy to find on the map would be great as i don't know Norwich very well. Any ideas on a date or leave it till closer the weekend?

Fingers crossed we run out of rain by then. :D

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I can get to Norwich on the train if I can scrounge a lift from there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE