Norwich and Norfolk group new thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi guys' i'm using a borrowed laptop, at home fortunately,

just a notice for a free easter family activity! in the Norwich area.

on behalf of Norwich Fringe Project (not advertised on the webpage)

4th of April at Dunston wood 2-4pm.(behind Dunston hall)

eggs.jpg

last year there was an egg hunt, face painting etc, plus the 6ft fluffy animals!

I'll be there same as last year doing Bushcraft Demo's in the woods.

come along it's also dog friendly!

Dino

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2006
Lowestoft, Suffolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
Hi guys' i'm using a borrowed laptop, at home fortunately,

just a notice for a free easter family activity! in the Norwich area.

on behalf of Norwich Fringe Project (not advertised on the webpage)

4th of April at Dunston wood 2-4pm.(behind Dunston hall)

eggs.jpg

last year there was an egg hunt, face painting etc, plus the 6ft fluffy animals!

I'll be there same as last year doing Bushcraft Demo's in the woods.

come along it's also dog friendly!

hi Rappleby2000,

in the picture of the three animals, which one is you :lmao:

Dino

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2006
Lowestoft, Suffolk
jojo said:
Yes I did finally escape, covered in bruises and scratches!! A nervous wreck as well :( Went back into there wednesday, big mistake, everything had changed again.. I think I'll never want to venture there again :D Are you well Dino? The most buscrafty think I've done lately is to find some cramps ball fungus 2minutes walk from home!! I am drying them now on top of the wood stove, and i'll try them soon with the fire steel.

Hi Jojo

things are well, i have been busy with my cadets, so i have not been out in the woods, i am off full bore shooting with my cadets this weekend, i am praying it is going to warm up. as for sunny lowestoft, i am only drivibg through at night, it safer :banghead:

Dino

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hi Rappleby2000,

in the picture of the three animals, which one is you

funny story really, (i wasn't dressed up) i was demonstrating bow drill etc, in the back of the woods, i had no idea people were dressing up, well i was quietly having a cuppa between demo's and a 6ft Bee turned up behind my tarp! :lmao:

i haven't been to cadets for ages i need to talk to Damascus about it :( .

Aanyone upto anything this weekend?

Dino

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2006
Lowestoft, Suffolk
i have just returned from at weekend doing full bore rifle shooting with my cadets at beckingham camp. i am knacked, i been on the firing range all day on saturday, its cold & windy, on duty all night in the gurad room & back on the range on sunday sun & windy, on both day we where firing the L98(a single shoot SA80). it was great, i cannot wait for the next time. :You_Rock_

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
hi there just wondering if any of you guys would be going to see ray mears in kings lynn would be great to meet up with some of you and listen to your stories as i still have a lot to learn about bushcraft :You_Rock_

Dino

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2006
Lowestoft, Suffolk
ady05 said:
hi there just wondering if any of you guys would be going to see ray mears in kings lynn would be great to meet up with some of you and listen to your stories as i still have a lot to learn about bushcraft :You_Rock_

when & where is ray mears going to be

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Went out to break in a new pair of boots early Sunday morning. Waded through the first ditch to get em nice and wet the had a bit of a forage for breakfast (Thats a bit of a fib cos I'd already had a fried egg butty before I left!). Started with some Red and White Dead nettle heads followed by Dandelion leaves and a bit of Chickweed.

Then found a patch of Burdock and decided some 'Roast Root' should be on the menu. Must have picked the biggest root in the area cos it took me 45 mins with a digging stick to extract it! The root was as thick as me wrist and about 14" long ! Also tried a nice juicy worm that came up with the root ! Not as gritty as I thought they might be. I guess they'd keep you going but I wouldn't recommend them as a tasty dish!
Filtered some ditch water into me billy and made some Red Dead Nettle tea (refreshing but a bit tasteless) then chucked the root on to roast. Could only cook it for 30 mins since I needed to be getting back for family 'things'. Anyway munched into it but that size of root could have done with at least an hour or more in the embers.

After 'family' things in the afternoon, the kids helped to build a fire in the garden and my eldest daughter lit it with a firesteel and fungus (It's not very 'girly' for a teenager to indulge in this sort of thing so I'm quite proud that she takes in interest !) Firelighting was followed by the cooking of 'wild' sausages on a fire grill cut from a Tesco's shopping trolley.
All in all a good day...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
only quiet in apperarence!

i am busy trying to organise stuff, i have a bushcraft demo this wednesday,

everyone is welcome,
dunston woods (south norwich)
2-4 good for the kids!

my laptop is currently being repaired, in birmingham, which is why i've not been on the thread much recently, by all means get together whilst i'm not available, i know most of us a raring to get out there i just can organise stuff till i get my laptop back.

hope you understand.
also when i get it back i can send you the phone numbers.

see you soon
Rich

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Sounds like a fine day Kev.
I've been working on a couple of knife blades. Trying to forge them into shape (that's going to take alot of practice :rolleyes: ). Dug out my atlatl and darts today and had a bit of a throw in the back garden and managed to break both foreshafts so I'm in the middle of repairing them. I might go for a wander tomorrow and have a bit of a throw.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
A good day Kev!

What are you planning to do in the demo, Rich?

I see you are getting back into the Atlatl snufkin. I've got interested too - be sure to bring your stuff to the next meet ;).

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Nothing to report quite boring really! have been working between Thetford and Harling road so in the quite periods have had a chance to watch the deer and see how close i can get, the only trouble is im not quite enough for the local pigs and they make a hell of a noise when woken :lmao:

Kevb sounds like a great day :D

Not long been in the house long so im off to bed now for a few hours tata!!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Biddlesby said:
A good day Kev!

What are you planning to do in the demo, Rich?

I see you are getting back into the Atlatl snufkin. I've got interested too - be sure to bring your stuff to the next meet ;).
Will do mate. I don't know if you're a member of paleoplanet but there's a good atlatl forum on there. Jerv, who goes by the name of Kuovi there, has organised an "atlatl in the hat" brantub if you want to join it.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:)
WELL AT LAST! THE LAP TOP IS FIXED AND WAS RETURNED TODAY!

sorry i coulden't get in contact i've been busy with family easter stuff, day trips bunny/chick hunts etc! :rolleyes:

i did my demo wednesday last week, it went well, must have seen 200 odd people, did the old bow drill, and flint/steel etc had a nice time, well worth it!
lordlurcher came along for a while which was nice i hadn't seen him for months!

here i am bowdrilling! (boy am i loosing hair fast! :eek: )
e9f88a64.jpg

here is my new display box, (made very cheaply! ask lord lurcher! :lmao: ) some day i'll make a better one!
e9f88a41.jpg

i was so busy with my demo that i didn't see much of the rest of the easter stuff, but it looked fun! hope you guy's have had a nice easter, i still have a few days left of family stuff then we can get together!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
oh and before thelaptop breaks again i'm sending all those phone numbers out! :rolleyes: get your phone books ready!

I've just sent them out PM me if you didn't get them!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D
Recieved a RAF Reversable (grey one side orange the other) Poncho today!
you want to play tent's with me? :lmao:

anyone any new projects on?

mine are to:

make horse hair string/rope.(i've collected and washed handfulls!)
make some good quality char-cloth.
make a new/improved alloy crusader mug lid.

spoken to a friend of the Norfolk/Norwich group and hopefully soon will be getting a parachute for group shelter use!

tell us what you're up to ;)
hope you enjoyed your easter! :You_Rock_

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers mate, one easter hol's is over i will have some more spare time.
(being a full time childrens entertainer at present! :rolleyes:, plus inlaws around!)

I've just double checked and hopefully everyone should have the Phone numbers I've been collecting for the group.

as i said before if some how i've missed you out , prehaps if you are new to the group tell me and i'll get the numbers to you.

Remember the numbers are for practical use,
not for social calls(unless that's ok'ed with you) the numbers are there so we can find each other during meets or for emergency use.

no one wants a drunken call at 3am asking for a lift home, or to be interupted at work.

IF IN DOUBT :confused: TEXT!

if you muck around or cause problems, you may be asked to leave the group.
harsh but fair i hope you agree!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE