Norwich and Norfolk group new thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
saturday it is then!

9th september

lord lurcher knows the way,
it appears (from the google map) to be half way between Norwich and Aylsham on the A140 (i don't know any more than that i'm afraid).
prehaps we can meet up like we did before at a place in norwich andtravel in convoy to the place, picking up people on the way.

i think we should still do the "Tarp-a-thon" basically bring all your wierd and wonderful tarps ponchos etc, so the rest of us can have a look see.
if we also bring Hammocks that should keep us busy! ;)

i don't think i can meet any ealier than 10am, because of my kids, 11am for me would be better or i could meet some of you up there if you want to start earlier.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Should we say 11am at the mousehold carpark?
If I could possibly scrounge a lift from someone from there :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ok mousehold car park, ill try to find the directions i gave before.......

ah..(5 minute search)...here it is!

for those unfamiliar with mousehold area, there are basically 2 ways of finding it:

1. from outside Norwich follow the A140 (outer ringroad)to the north of the city it changes into theA1042.
from the A1042, turn towards the city onto gurney road(going through woods),
follow the road down hill round a sharp left then right when it opens out there is a fenced playing field on the left and a set back retaurant on the right with a large Oak tree in it's forecourt that's our meeting place.

2. traveling from in the city follow the Inner ring road or A147 either way but head north. you need to turn at the Ketts hill roundabout!
from the east (train station) a river will be on your left.
from the west(duel carridgeway) a steep grass bank on your left
from either way turn up the hill on to gurney road (a small road inbetween a high brick wall and a pub), follow the road up hill it has several sweeping corners as you go up, (stay on the road)eventually you will go down hill and vere to the right with a fenced playing field on your right and the resteraunt with a big Oak tree on your left

hope the instructions aren't too complex!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
We're meeting up tomorrow 11am check the details above and see if you can come too

here are the map referances: TG 243 100

:You_Rock_

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
EXCELLENT! :You_Rock_

if anyone else wants to join us that hasn't already said make sure you're there and we'll meet you, again no formalities wear/bring what you want,(legally speaking) and we'll see you there. :D

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Wont be able to make this one but have a great day guys. Think of me sticking up Coving in the lounge !!
Hoping to get my Snupak Hammock underblanket from Wandrinstar's group buy tommorrow. Would have been good to come along and set this up with my Hennesy. Never mind - next time eh ?

JoJo if you're interested in seeing another hammock setup with homemade accessories then PM me and we'll arrange a meetup one evening since you're so close.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
coving sounds fun.... :lmao:

sorry...we'll see you soon thanks for telling us.

by the way guy's i've found another possible site for camping in Norwich!

it's a scout HQ (or hut) or whatever you call them now, i did a fire demo for the group on thursday and i'm good friends with the scout leader(i was a scout with him 15 years ago!).
i've only had a quick look at the site (in hellesdon)it's bigger than garvestone,
and has better facilities including showers and loos( ;) ), + 2 fields!
loads of trees for hammocks, only 2 downsides:

1 it's surrounded by houses and a fairly busy road (though you can't really see them and is that an issue?)(the road is a fair way "200m" from the camp)
2 it's a good walk to anything resembling countryside though only a 5 min drive.
saying that we could do most of the things we did at garveston without leaving the grounds.

here's the link to the site notice cheap prices!

a basic sketch of the place from the website

here's an over head map/satalite view, the camp is top left the big green bushy area(trees), note the long white track into the camp and on the other side of the road is a school playing field and petrol station to give you some idea of scale(if you zoom in(+) you can actually see green tents on the righthand field).
heres the over head view
it's hellesdon from the camp the airport is east, the city is south, hellesdon hospital south west. the countryside is only just outside the picture up and left

See you tomorow! :D

sandspec

Maker
Nov 1, 2005
Bozeat, Northants
Hi Guys, Just found your info on Norfolk group !! Can you help me ? We want to do an overnighter somewhere quiet and out of the way. There would be only two of us sleeping under our tarp. We would be very discrete and mindful of the location. I see from your posts that Thetford Forest is strictly a no go area for this kind of thing. :( so hope you could come up with other ideas. Work does not allow many free weekends, so it would be a mid week thing.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Well, had a lovely time today. Buxton Heath was really nice, a large area that definitely warrants further exploration at a later date. There was a bit of bowdrilling and fungi spotting going on and a tarp display. Jo Jo showed us his bows in progress, very impressive workmanship. I look forward to seeing that one sinewed up. I forgot to ask you about the other one :rolleyes:
It was good to meet your brother Lord Lurcher although I've forgotten his name (I've a brain like a...thing with lots of holes in it for straining things).
The only thing I forgot to take was my camera, so no pics :eek: .
Looking forward to the next meetup, hopefully a weekender.
Don't forget to watch Anglia tomorrow night at 5.30 Paul Heineys Secret Rivers (or something like that).

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
sandspec said:
Hi Guys, Just found your info on Norfolk group !! Can you help me ? We want to do an overnighter somewhere quiet and out of the way. There would be only two of us sleeping under our tarp. We would be very discrete and mindful of the location. I see from your posts that Thetford Forest is strictly a no go area for this kind of thing. :( so hope you could come up with other ideas. Work does not allow many free weekends, so it would be a mid week thing.
Hi there, KevB is Lowestoft based, he might know of somewhere near you that might suit. You could always head for the coast. Don't know what it's like down your way but you could maybe camp on the beach and have your fire below the high tide mark (obviously check the tides and the weather forecast beforehand).
There is the Two Mile Bottom campsite (I love that name :) ). It's near Thetford. Read back in this thread, I think the address is somewhere.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yup a nice meet today!
it was well worth the wait to discover hevingham heath!
well worth another adventure!

and sorry to say i had no camera either, but no matter.

you needed to be there really! i learn something everytime! a great time had! :You_Rock_

so an overnighter it is...hmmm i'll see what i can come up with! :D

sandspec
Hi we can do mid week meetups sometimes i have met damascus and snufkin a couple of times mid week it's not a problem.

at the garveston weekend, there was discussion about having a meet up in the lowerstoft area! unfortunately i don't know the area at all so prehaps if Kevb or you can suggest a place we can meet there.

a camp in thetford? depends how quiet you are :naughty:

i know of 2 people that did regulaly camp in one of the large forestry com areas for overnights with fire etc, (one of who works very closely with the law!)

we are planning a thetford camp soon, just getting everyone to agree on one weekend is tricky though, it will happen though. :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Had a good time yesterday. Thanks everyone. Just a pity my b******y arm :( is giving such hassle. I'll just have to practice the fire lighting rignt handed! The other bow is the result of starting a wide flat bow and then finding a defect in the wood, rather than burning it, the wide bow became a narrow bow! :rolleyes:
I dont really know anywhere close to Lowestoft where you can do overnighters unfortunately.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i know shame about the injury but i'll bring along the kit when you meet us so you can try as much as you like :)

I dont really know anywhere close to Lowestoft where you can do overnighters unfortunately.
dosen't have to be,
it would just be nice for us to meet in a different area prehaps do a beach session, or just a nice walk!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE