Norwich and Norfolk group new thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Im sorry i missed yet another meet work is going to have to take a back burner at some time :rolleyes: im missing out on some good meet ups by the sounds of things.

weekender

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
We haven't forgotten you, there are many people that want to but can't meet up on a regular basis, we understand that.

we really do want to meet you guy's we've had loads of fun but it's good to share! :)

prehaps those folks that can't get to us so often can tell us what they're upto anyway prehaps we can help or learn from you! :)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
The most i get up to is walking my dog on a bridlepath near me, which has turned up a few results i.e different fungi ( which im having trouble identifying), sloes/damsons(gin! :D )also just recently i have spotted a pair of buzzards nesting in the woods, which has been a delight to watch soar on the thermals also because i work nights a lot it gives me the oppurtunity to go to the path/woods early in the morning so i get to see the dear munkjack(?) and some roe i think (slightly larger??) also i have found a badgers home and actually saw briefly the badger scuttling down out of the way that was some time ago a few weeks after which i saw two dead on the A14 nearby so im assuming it could be them :( .
But not being allowed into the woods met farmer (not friendly) so this means i cant practice knife/fire/carving skills but having a great time watching everything else and enjoying the free fruit apples,pears and the sloes!!.

weekender

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
sorry i didn't reply weekender i was away

sloes are fairly easy to identify, shrublike, nasty inch long thorns, dark purple/black, when ripe they appear a dusty blue, the easy test is the taste, even when ripe they'll turn your mouth inside out with bitterness!! they are plum family so they have a stone rather than pips, and look like a tiny plum if cut in half.
soooo sour! :eek:

sounds like you live in a nice area! we hope to meet you soon! :D

just had a nice weekend with the cadets at Eaton vale scout site, very nice!

absieling, kayaking, archery, air rifle, and climbing were all on offer!

sadly i had to leave early because my wife was ill but it was well worth it!

Damascus the cadet leader gave me a hand made knife he had made for a modest price! :You_Rock_

what have you guy's been up to this week?

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nothing much bushcrafty this weekend, did go for a walk saturday evening and spent a half hour watching roe deer.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I visited KevB at home, he showed me his Hennesey hammock and the modifications he made to his gear, I have to say it is an impressive piece of kit! We had a very interesting chat about "bushcraft" in general. Found a couple of crab apple trees nearby, lots of blackberries and also lots of rose hips. Any good recipes to combine these?? :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I visited KevB at home, he showed me his Hennesey hammock and the modifications he made to his gear, I have to say it is an impressive piece of kit! We had a very interesting chat about "bushcraft" in general.

:D excellent!

Found a couple of crab apple trees nearby, lots of blackberries and also lots of rose hips. Any good recipes to combine these??

blackberries make good jam and one crab apple sliced have enough pectin to turn it all jelly like! make sure you crush and sive out the seeds!

crab apples on thier own make a sort of jam, but even when made properly still have a dry aftertaste.

rose hips will be difficult to make jam because of the amount of flesh needed, but rose hip syrup is an old recipie for children, loads of vitamin C and tastes nice too! make sure you collect them when they are really ripe, ie soggy!
the seeds/hair inside the "hip" can cause iritation to the stomach/intestines so make sure you get rid of it!

best thing to do really is try small amnounts.

get your mini camping saucepans on the cooker and try making jam!

(not aluminium pans as they are rumoured to react with fruit acid and cause altseimers :eek: )

have fun!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
:D excellent!

blackberries make good jam and one crab apple sliced have enough pectin to turn it all jelly like! make sure you crush and sive out the seeds!
does one crab apple provide enough pectin for, say, one kilo of jam? or is more than one needed? and do I need to cruch/cook the apple first?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I am going to show my ignorance here :confused: how do I put a photo here???
I have clicked on the icon that says "insert image" and it asks about the text to be formated :confused: What Am I suppose to write there :confused: doh I need a tutorial :)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
jojo said:
I am going to show my ignorance here :confused: how do I put a photo here???
I have clicked on the icon that says "insert image" and it asks about the text to be formated :confused: What Am I suppose to write there :confused: doh I need a tutorial :)
If you want to use the insert image icon you need to have uploaded the picture to an online photo host, I use photobucket.com. Once you have uploaded the image you can copy the image address and paste it into the box that appears when you click on the image insert key.
Or, you can scroll down on the page when you are writing a reply you will see a manage attachments box, if you click on this you can upload images stored on your computer directly to the site (just follow the prompts).You might have to adjust your image size to get it to upload.
I hope that's sort of clear, I'm rubbish at trying to explain things :rolleyes:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Snufkin said:
If you want to use the insert image icon you need to have uploaded the picture to an online photo host, I use photobucket.com. Once you have uploaded the image you can copy the image address and paste it into the box that appears when you click on the image insert key.
Or, you can scroll down on the page when you are writing a reply you will see a manage attachments box, if you click on this you can upload images stored on your computer directly to the site (just follow the prompts).You might have to adjust your image size to get it to upload.
I hope that's sort of clear, I'm rubbish at trying to explain things :rolleyes:

Thanks Snufin, apologies for delay in replying. I have been a bit too busy working! HI'll have a go a using photobucket in the next few day. It's perfectly clear how to do it. :)

How is everyone else doing? :beerchug: :beerchug:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
jojo said:
Thanks Snufin, apologies for delay in replying. I have been a bit too busy working! HI'll have a go a using photobucket in the next few day. It's perfectly clear how to do it. :)

How is everyone else doing? :beerchug: :beerchug:
I'm doing good mate, shooting in my little sinew backed osage plains style bow today :) posted a bit of video over atpaleoplanet in the primitive archery section (just to confuse you I go by the name LJintheUK over there). Done any more work on your bows?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Snufkin said:
I'm doing good mate, shooting in my little sinew backed osage plains style bow today :) posted a bit of video over atpaleoplanet in the primitive archery section (just to confuse you I go by the name LJintheUK over there). Done any more work on your bows?

That's good. I am going to have to see that bow! How many bows do you have? no, not yet, I have not had time yet to sinew my bow, too much else to do :( . I am hoping next week :D

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I hereby nominate Gearguru to arrange the Thetford meet. All those in favour say aye
Aye!
Aye!
Aye!
Aye!
Motion carried.
Congratulations Mate :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Aye?

Aye?Aye? :confused:

oh ok then....i'll see what i can do :) #

not been up to much myself mostly Conservation work with BTCV in Norwich,
had a few little bushcraft demo's to do, and waiting for answers on other work for the coming year.

I've had problems with my last employer :( but it should be sorted soon)!

i'll get onto the Thetford thing ASAP!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE