Norwegian army backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Recently acquired one from ebay for the princely sum of £15.

It is amazing quality, the leather needed softened a bit, the canvas needed waxed and the frame needed a wee clean and a light oil but now it's in great order.

Loaded her up and went for a walk and it's very comfortable with around 12 kilos in it. Even comfier than my more modern packs.

However i'm struggling to find any information about it so if anyone can help it'd be appreciated.

It is the olive canvas with grey leather straps with the steel external frame.

Not much info but for the price they can't be that uncommon.

Thanks

Jim

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife

Thats the one.

The bag has two loops on the outside above the side pockets which has me stumped for what they are for.

Normally loops like these are for attaching shelterhalfs however packs of that era will have another loop at the centre of the lid to facilitate this.

This pack doesn't have that so thats not what they were designed for, ski/ hiking poles would be obstructed by the side pockets so the can't be for this purpose and i doubt it's for an axe as there wouldn't be two of them.

I do know that the norwegian army issued tent stakes around the same era as the pack but these loops seem too large for this purpose.

In other words i don't have a scooby.

J

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
have a looksee at the photos in the second link, it shows what the loops are for :)

Hmmm .... having a look .... :yikes:

13339c.jpg

:lmao:

Please note that this is the same (in my opinion, brilliant) marketing from the people who gave this warning over its supply of Italian Army wool blankets:

"Please note: If the last batch of these smelled, then you're in for a whole new world of sh** with this one; the smell is horrendous. These are encrusted in a layer of naphtalene crystals, and it will take some serious airing out, shaking out and general violence to get rid of the intense smell of old loft. Spontaneous nosebleeds, nausea and confusion might ensue. You have been warned!"

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Saw the thread and brought back memories of Norway in the military and bought one. Don't smell too good now hope I will benefit from this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE