Canvas Packs: Availabilty

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Proenneke22!

Oct 20, 2022
Dublin
Hi had to let go some items due to a move a whilst back. Now that I'm settled again, I've been looking to replace my canvas packs.

I had the Norwegian (Telemark) canvas one, and the Swedish canvas one (M39/ 40litre), both with the metal external frames, and leather straps.

Does anyone know where I could find any of these for sale? They seem to be less easy to find, and are not as budget priced as they were a few years back, which is probably true of most things. I used the Norwegian one for shifting logs etc as it had great carry capacity.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Military Mart springs to mind, possibly Surplus & Outdoors too, then of cours Fleabay.

M39 will likely be hard to find at a sensible price or condition.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Leka had them but out just now. Might be available in the future. Some interesting eastern Europe alternatives available though. :D

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

If you need a bit more I can imagine that it's cheaper to fly to Hildesheim without luggage and come back with a full rucksack than paying the shipping costs and import taxes.

Reactions: gibson 175

Proenneke22!

Oct 20, 2022
Dublin
Thanks for the advice guys. I can't believe the M39's are so hard come by. I let two go to new homes, two years ago.
I had three canvas packs sitting like ornaments pre my move and was really only using one favourite any time I got out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It's no surprise that military equipment of small armies is sold out after a couple of years. Even German equipment of that age became pretty expensive in Germany. And there aren't much more inhabitants in Norway than in Berlin alone. Sweden hasn't much more inhabitants than London.

Military surplus equipment is traded world wide and if every third man who knows it from the own service in the army and a little fraction of the hunters in the USA got it the market is empty.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The German army mountain troop rucksack is nearly the same but hasn't the outer frame. Instead of it you put the German army folding mat into it's back compartment. The advantage is that you can use the entire rucksack as a comfortable pillow if you pulled out the folding mat.

The rucksack is still made by HEIM in Bavaria from Cordura Nylon. This here is factory new:

If you don't get the German army mat anymore you can get a good quality copy from Multimat, the model Adventure 4 XL.

In the side pouches fit the Swiss army plastic bottles with mug for example.
The Bundeswehr field bottle without mugs as well, but it's rather a tight fit.

There were older versions of this rucksack from cotton, looking approximately the same but with a plastic sheet bottom and another one with leather straps.
Don't waste your money on Chinese copies, get a used one or the new original from HEIM above.

Last edited:

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Is it one of these you want I have one in my loft

Attachments

• Ryggsäck ST - Större (4).jpg
    Ryggsäck ST - Större (4).jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Ryggsäck ST - Större (1).jpg
    Ryggsäck ST - Större (1).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 12

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE