Norway in November?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What's it like?

Where to go?

What to do?

Any ideas?

Family trip so nothing too adventurous. Kind of northern lights, touristy things with a bit of outdoors. Young child so not sure snow shoeing and cross country skiing is even possible. Not sure if it's too hard with kid in a carrier.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
November might be a bit early for much snowy fun

We did Tromso and then the Lyngenfjord area back in Feb, we got up to all sorts, snowmobiling, snowshoe hiking, dog sledding, slept in a few Sami camps

IMG_0152 by Richard Sheward, on Flickr

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
another for the area around Tromso. Also, a bit further south, the lofoten islands, and Hamn. Really beautiful areas. As Shewie said, there might not be much snow around that early in the winter. If its snow you're after maybe consider northern Sweden or Finland, but still beautiful areas.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What time for snow? It's to use the last of my paid holidays usefully. Can only go up to 9th December I think, i.e. last day of holiday.9th/10th.

Would December be too expensive being near Xmas? Heard Norway really knows.how to enjoy Xmas with long celebrations. I believe Germany and Norway make a big deal of Xmas, more than other countries.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone use some kind of sledge for towing young kids when xc skiing? Would you use such a thing when snow.shoeing or a rucksack/carrier thing like when waking without deep snow?

BTW how cold is it there? Do I need.proper down jackets or just slightly warmer than kit than UK? Got Haglofs synthetic jacket/gilet so possibly that's enough?

Sorry if I'm sounding ignorant but I've only really experienced UK winters (bad ones.including minus 16°C before you consider windchill). The worst I've had is February in Gothenburg Sweden. That was just below zero at.most but dry so I was.just wearing a suit (business trip). I'm concerned about my child.getting cold because he'd be doing.very.little in a sledge. Can you hire cold weather kit or clothing for children?

I appreciate any.help and advice you can.offer. I'll admit I'm not well well travelled when it comes to cold places and proper holidays. My holidays tend to be UK based and very un planned.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The coastal areas are not so cold, maybe down to - 15 in November.
Lofoten Islands are beautiful, all year around!

Child in a sledge/toboggan - get a sheepskin sack. How old is the child?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
heehee, your best bet for younger kids in a pull or toboggan is reindeer skin. Last time i was up near Kilpisarvi (NE Norway) we saw plenty of folks on skidoos with trailers full of young kids, all appearing toasty warm. Asking around, everyone used reindeer skins, they are very warm and can be bought locally at reasonable prices.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Anyone use some kind of sledge for towing young kids when xc skiing? Would you use such a thing when snow.shoeing or a rucksack/carrier thing like when waking without deep snow?

Works fine when skiing, should work with snowshoes as well. How old is "young"? My eldest got pulled around in -35 when she was 4 months old, but older -- 4-5 years -- they get bored to fast riding behind.

BTW how cold is it there? Do I need.proper down jackets or just slightly warmer than kit than UK? Got Haglofs synthetic jacket/gilet so possibly that's enough?

That time you may or may not have snow, depending a lot on where you are. Last year I was up a quick trip to Nordaland around the first of November: down in the valleys (Beiarn) it was shirt sleeve temps, up in mountains towards Sweden (I was driving by way of Arjeplog), there was quite a bit of wet snow coming down, but no useful skiing conditions where I was.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I know this is an old post, but does anyone have any advice on current/expected weather for Norway? I'm off there on Friday for 4 weeks.

3 weeks in Haslemoen/Åkrestrømmen in possible hard accomodation, probably tents.
1 week up north in the hills near Tynset under poncho/tarp.

I have some issue cold weather stuff (jacket, trousers and tent boots) and I'm taking my bouncing bomb with a Rab down bag (I bought last year).

Just wonder if I'm over estimating the cold weather.

Many thanks in advance.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
November is a tricky month. Can be sunny, warm ( +10C) and beautiful. You might also wake up in a snow storm.

You will enjoy it for sure!

I would take 'autumn clothes' with an extra warm layer.

Reactions: Insel Affen

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
November is a tricky month. Can be sunny, warm ( +10C) and beautiful. You might also wake up in a snow storm.

You will enjoy it for sure!

I would take 'autumn clothes' with an extra warm layer.
Thanks Janne. You have confirmed what I was thinking. Anything from +15 to -28 .

It sounds like the old adage about British weather. If you don't like it, wait 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pull a toboggan with good keels to keep it from yawing. Mine was 8'/240cm
Very well waxed, they run OK on wet grass. Take lots of extra wax. Burn some to start a damp fire.
My cargo boxes were bolted to the slide. One each for a kid, one for hot lunch fixings.

Without the kids and a weeklong trip, I would never underestimate the power of bad weather.
Lots of tarp to get out of the wind, tent with a floor is even better.

Reactions: Insel Affen

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
People in Jasper National Park have an annual; "Fat Bear" contest.
The winner again this fall is a Grizz named "Otto" (forget his tag #).
His belly is so big now, it almost touches the ground!
There's a Black sow with 2 cubs at the south end of the village, they are really porking it on
with neglected fruit and garbage.
They all ought to go down by mid November. Norway can't be any different from here.

You should ask about the home turf locations for the local wolf packs: they can't afford the fights with being very nomadic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE