Northumberland bushcrafting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi

I am new to bushcrafting and live in northumberland, i was just wondering if anyone new any good camping places around there and any good places to to practice some skills,

also if anyone has any tips on starting to learn the art of bushcraft, dont really know where to start

thanks vary much

john

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Hello John, welcome to Bushcraft central.:)

If you don't have anywhere to go at the moment and practice your bushcraft skills then The following link is to a list of campsites that will allow you to have a fire.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=4

There is a section on the North East sites. I hope I am not underestimating your current level of skills but at least on a site from the above pages you will get the opportunity to practice fire starting with as many different methods and materials as you wish to try, All in a relatively convivial atmosphere.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
John hi,
Morpeth aint to far from me i try to get out on the coast for the odd night out(usually a Thurs/Fri/or Sat night) if you ever fancy meeting up, drop me a pm and i will let you know when ive got one planned.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I'm in Ponteland which is about 15 mins from Morpeth. I've been going across the river to Chopwell Woods whenever Steve Charlton (have a look for rancidbadger here at BCUK) has been running bushcraft events - excellent stuff. I'd be keen to hear about any coastal opportunities / sites although I'm on a tight family leash!

Mark

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Hey

I live in Newbiggin by the Sea with my partner and 8 year old daughter.

I'm a complete novice in the field of bushcraft but always had a passion for the outdoors.

We are heading to the bushmoot this year so we'll all come back more skillfull than before - not hard in my case!

Be good to hook up with like-minded people in the area. Camping, skills demo or even a pint?!?!

Anyone from our area going to the bushmoot?

Cheers,
Steve.

i used to live in northumberland, but out past hexham, and just wildcamped. down the south tyne into the north pennines, along hadrians wall, around and about really. never went as far as morpeth, though, so i can't really help you there. i've passed by morpeth often enough to see that there should be plenty of out-of-the-way sites within reasonable walking distance, though.

but in general, i always found the easiest way of finding good sites was just getting out and about, seeing what there is to see, and then returning to promising places later on for a night or two.

as for starting bushcraft, i'd get a knife (a beginner's knife like the mora clipper), some books, and then just try things in your garden (or living room, as my housemates discovered ;)). i've always been a "hands-on" person, though, so your mileage may vary.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
Not looking for an over-night stop (the wife would kill me), but we are cottaging :)p) near Craster and was wondering if anybody could recommend a decent sized woods, within about an hours drive, that we can get lost in?

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
My favourite place within your reach is a place called Thrunton Woods. This in between Alnwick and Rothbury on the road to Wooler - the A696, I think? It appears to be a well ordered forestry commission type place from the road but has some really beautiful older woodland, too. If you follow the waymarked trails, there is a nice walk to the top of some crags with great views of the Cheviot Hills. In my experience it is usually quiet mid-week and in general as it's a little far from Newcastle to get busy. I love it, anyway!

Give me a shout if any of this is unclear or you need better directions. It will definitely clear your nostrils of the smell of kippers!

Cheers.
Steve.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
My favourite place within your reach is a place called Thrunton Woods. This in between Alnwick and Rothbury on the road to Wooler - the A696, I think? It appears to be a well ordered forestry commission type place from the road but has some really beautiful older woodland, too. If you follow the waymarked trails, there is a nice walk to the top of some crags with great views of the Cheviot Hills. In my experience it is usually quiet mid-week and in general as it's a little far from Newcastle to get busy. I love it, anyway!

Give me a shout if any of this is unclear or you need better directions. It will definitely clear your nostrils of the smell of kippers!

Cheers.
Steve.

Excellent! Found it on Google Maps and it definitely looks do-able.

Many thanks

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
No worries, Jim. I have dug the map out, too. If you can get it, the Explorer 332 seems the best. Basically, Long Crags are the ones with the best views. The area in the North-West corner is the most natural and beautiful in my opinion. It is marked as Castle Hill on the map. Lots of features, crags caves, etc. ENJOY!

Cheers,
Steve.

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi there, I'm Deana and I'm a novice :rolleyes: Am new to the forum and hoping to get into a bit of bushcrafting before the end of the year. Not quite sure what's driving me, but go camping fairly frequently and went to go just that one step further for a change. Hope to learn loads over the next few years so if anyone in the North East is looking at doing a group thing, or even a small teach in session, please let me know :thanks:

Percy92

Feb 4, 2013
Ashington, Northumberland
Hello all!

I know this a really old post (2009!), but I was browsing 'bushcraft northumberland' and this came up. So decided to drop a comment.

I'm from the Northumberland area and like to get out a few nights now and then. I was thinking of doing a week to 2 weeks of solid wildcamping bushcrafting in this area as well. I agree Thrunton wood's is a good one! So is a couple of other's in the area. Also some lovely country side in general outside of the wood's.

I was going more for the build you'r own shelter, camp bed & etc. Only take the bare essentials to get me going, if it doesn't fit in a 40Ltr daysac then I don't take it.

I was looking at nearer the end of the year, late Sept / Oct time. Just letting people know if they want any more info on it, just for idea's and what not. With it been in our area!

Cheer's for the great post's and comment's and what not! Glad to see more from this area is into it (although this is an old post, haha!).

Percy

Hi

This is an old post :0)

This is exactly what I was looking for and if the offer still stands I would be game for a couple of nights out wife and kids permitting.
Don't have a massive skill Basie but can hold my own (all the gear with no idea )
Might be my bothers cup of joe too.

Cheers Simon

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
Hey

I live in Newbiggin by the Sea with my partner and 8 year old daughter.

I'm a complete novice in the field of bushcraft but always had a passion for the outdoors.

We are heading to the bushmoot this year so we'll all come back more skillfull than before - not hard in my case!

Be good to hook up with like-minded people in the area. Camping, skills demo or even a pint?!?!

Anyone from our area going to the bushmoot?

Cheers,
Steve.

not trying to hijack the thead but do you ever drink in porters

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE