Northstar sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I was asked about making a replacement sheath for a Northstar so i came up with this ,what do you guy's think ?

412_1271_1.jpg

412_1274_1.jpg

412_1277_1.jpg

rb

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Very nice - beautifully formed. Very nice indeed. The only thing I'd want is a slightly bigger belt loop!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Adi - I made this one to fit my belt (it's 35mm ) but i would make the next loop a bit bigger.

Grumit - Im not sure that i'd like to post a price as im not trying to sell this.
Im really only looking for feedback and constructive criticism to help me progress and improve.
The person who asked me about it originally will have first refusal on this if he's interested.

I like the security of the deep carry position but my father tried it and he would like a little more handle exposed.
I tried to make the whole thing as compact as possible but i think i'd lower the carry position slightly next time.

I have become quite concerned about carrying a fixed blade in public places and am trying to make my sheath's as discrete as possible.
Im going to try a cross draw and a neck sheath soon ,perhaps with my scandi pack pal when it get's here and i'd still like to make a good Woodlore sheath with a firesteel holder.

rb

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i think it is a cracking sheath rb i had alan wood make me one the same as the bushcrafter for my woodlore your becoming a real master at making them wish i could get the leather etc to have a go keep up the good work mate :wave: :You_Rock_

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
rapidboy said:
Im really only looking for feedback and constructive criticism to help me progress and improve.

It looks lovely.

Are you bevelling all your edges, and do you burnish the edges once it is all dyed? I'm not keen on using edge coatings (er - Edge Kote?) personally, I like the effect of a good gum trag assisted burnish...

The other thing that springs to mind is are you going over the stitches afterwards with an overstitch wheel? If you aren't already (I can't tell from the photo, sorry!), it helps make the stitches look even.

Oh - gratuitous tip: red fibre-tips used for layout marks don't show after dyeing ;) Pinched wholesale from Chuck Burrows' DVD on sheathmaking.

Whatever, it is a fantastic looking piece of work.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Brian said:
Lovely sheath, how long does it take to make one RB

Brian

Takes about 5 hours of work as it's all hand stitched.

ESpy said:
It looks lovely.
Are you bevelling all your edges, and do you burnish the edges once it is all dyed? I'm not keen on using edge coatings (er - Edge Kote?) personally, I like the effect of a good gum trag assisted burnish...

The other thing that springs to mind is are you going over the stitches afterwards with an overstitch wheel? If you aren't already (I can't tell from the photo, sorry!), it helps make the stitches look even.

Oh - gratuitous tip: red fibre-tips used for layout marks don't show after dyeing ;) Pinched wholesale from Chuck Burrows' DVD on sheathmaking.

Whatever, it is a fantastic looking piece of work.

I am bevelling the edges but im going to get a bigger beveller with my next leather order.
I don't have a buffing wheel yet so im using edge coat but it's horrible stuff.
I just tried the overstitch wheel trick and it's a top tip and i will try the red fibre tip as pencil is too faint and black ink show's through.
Cheers ESpy this is just what i was hoping to get from this thread.

rb

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
Great looking work! If those are hollow pins in your North Star (I can't tell from the photo) you might be able to put a fob on it to aid in removal from the sheath.
Steve

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
rapidboy said:
I am bevelling the edges but im going to get a bigger beveller with my next leather order.

There's a particular style of beveller I've just switched to where the leather rides in a deep groove on the underside of the tool - that way, it makes it much more difficult to skid off, and you physically can't remove too much leather as you can with the other style (polished flattish underside with a notch in the end). I *think* it is the Keen Edge beveler, but I can't but entirely sure from Tandy's photos.

I don't have a buffing wheel yet so im using edge coat but it's horrible stuff.

It's a bit gloopy, but some people like it. What I do to my edges is daub a bit of gum tragacanth on, let it sit for a minute or two then attack it with a bone folder. Burnish about 2" max at a time, and you'll quickly see a shine develop as the fibres squidge together. I'm told that denim also works for burnishing, as does antler etc. but I use the bone folder.

I just tried the overstitch wheel trick and it's a top tip and i will try the red fibre tip as pencil is too faint and black ink show's through.

Also, the red is a fugitive colour - it's one of the first to fade out due to sunlight. Soft pencil is great if you're not dyeing.

Cheers ESpy this is just what i was hoping to get from this thread.

NP - wasn't sure if I was teaching Granny to suck eggs!

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
I have become quite concerned about carrying a fixed blade in public places and am trying to make my sheath's as discrete as possible.

HI do you really carrie your north star in public is it not aganst the law i thought you could only carrie a small penknife.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Its against the law to carry a fixed blade in this country (without good reason?), you can however carry a non-locking sub-3 inch folder.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Rollnick said:
Its against the law to carry a fixed blade in this country (without good reason?), you can however carry a non-locking sub-3 inch folder.

It is the 'without good reason' bit that we are interested in. If the activity you are doing constitutes a good reason then it is perfectly legal to carry a fixed blade.

If it was totally illegal to carry one why would they be sold in the UK at all?

The law covers the transport to and from the activity as well so it was not illegal to have a fixed blade in my car on the way to and from Ashdown last weekend but common sense dictates that you don't wear it into Tescos when you stop on the journey to pick up some food (unless you want to be met be policemen with guns as you walk back to the car).

What you said was correct Jake but I just wanted to expand on it.

Always remember to look at someones location when the state what is legal and what's not, laws are very different in different countries and we are a fairly international community now.

Also if you are concerned check with the police yourself. If you are stopped by the cops then telling them 'a bloke on BCUK told me it was ok' might not be good enough if they don't agree with you.

ok I'm finished now :)

Bill

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
mal said:
HI do you really carrie your north star in public is it not aganst the law i thought you could only carrie a small penknife.

I carry a fixed blade nearly every day ,mon to fri it's for my work and at the weekends im usually shooting ,fishing or camping.

I usually just slip the knife out of the sheath and leave it in the car when im travelling or going into a shop but i have received some strange looks even. when im out fishing.
I was once stopped by security guards in a shopping centre and asked if i was carrying a knife because the sheath was visible below my jacket ,they asked me to remove the empty sheath so as not so scare other shoppers :?:
Even if i can justify carrying a knife i'd rather not draw attention to it.

rb

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
People have strange attitudes, even if you look like a perfectly decent person!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE