north star

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
can anyone point me in the right direction for treads on the north star knife i tried a search but got no ware just wanted to no who had one what they are like do they compare or are better than the woodlore price ext i realy liked the look of it on R/B thread today and the sheath looked fantastic.

MAL

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Peoples main problem with the NS is the handle size and ergonomics. The sheaths are not great but we'll be getting replacements sooner or later...

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
mal said:
i realy liked the look of it on R/B thread today and the sheath looked fantastic.

MAL

Mal the sheath on R/B's thread is one he made himself I think not the one you will get if you buy a northstar.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
After reading some threads i have been pointed to here and on BB i think i will stick with my WS/Woodlore for now which i do like the feel of haven't used it much though as i am still getting started with all this is there a knife like the woodlore i can get but a bit moor personalized with out waiting a life time for as with the allan wood copy of my knife as i do have a niggle in the back of my mined over the quality of the WS after reading a bit about it but mine is only a few months old so i hope the problems the knife suffered in the beginning have been sorted now any thoughts greatly received.

MAL

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think the north star is quite a different knife to a woodlore (even a w/s one) do you have a maple or micarta handled one Mal?

I think what you have will do you well for a long time yet. Not that having something good already has ever stopped me buying more stuff :wink:

Bill

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
HI tenbears10 i have the maple but as i said before it is new so i hope the problems they had in the begning have been sorted now i have given it a good going over with Renaissance wax as well.

leon-1

mal, have a look at the Allan Blade Bushcrafter, there are plenty of threads here and on BB that talk about them.

MagiKelly has one and he appears to be quite happy to talk to people about it, he seems to be very impressed. Cost on them is pretty good as well.

There are also knives by R. Linger and J Neilson. I think TB10 will be quite happy to talk to you about his J Neilson if you wish. :)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
leon-1 said:
MagiKelly has one and he appears to be quite happy to talk to people about it, he seems to be very impressed. Cost on them is pretty good as well.

Someone called?

Yes the Alan Blade Bushcrafter is great as is the scandi Pack Pal. I think Gary will be doing a review soon but a search will turn up my previous comments. I am also about to become the owner of a BushmanUk Scout and Bushmantz. I won these in a fundrasing auction, kind of by accident but still I will be giving them a good test before deciding what to do with them. Hoodoo has done a review of them but it is for a magazine so I do not know if it will be on the web but he may give some hints if asked.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I have an Allan Blade and the build on it is fantastic. I am not a great fan of the grind that i chose as it't not as good for woodwork. But im convexing it at the moment so we shall see...:wink:

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Mal,your fairly close to us,geographically, we have a 'Southampton' meetup every now and then ,with another due soon,I'll bring my Northstar to the next one for your appraisal. Personally I think its superb,but I dont have the lanyard loop that causes discomfort on mine.Its an optional,no cost, extra and the appraisals you have probably read are from owners that haven't removed it.Rapidboy even likes his without the lanyard loop. :wink:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I handled a NS the other day and I really like the blade, not fussed about the handle for reasons stated on other threads but the blade was lovely....

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I have the bushcrafter Tom. With maple scales (i think) and a full tang.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE