A Quick & Easy Night Navigation Trick using the Stars...The LURD Method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So..what do we do to find a cardinal direction of travel at night if we can't see a recognisable constellation but there are stars visible? We can use the L.U.R.D method that only needs one star.

Place two different size sticks/ poles approx 1 metre apart...kneel/ squat down behind the smaller stick and line the top of it up with the top of the longer pole....viewing along that line to your chosen single star you now observe it for a shift which will occur after approx 15-20mins.

If the Star appears to move 'LEFT' then you will be facing NORTH.

If it moves 'UP'..EAST

If it moves 'RIGHT' ..SOUTH
and
If it moves 'DOWN'..WEST.

L-U-R-D
N-E-S-W

Nb...this method is not precise, especially in the Northern Sky and at the Poles, as with all other natural navigation methods they are only used to give a general direction..You should always use more than one type of Natural navigation method to dial in your direction of travel...and this really should be done during daylight hours.

IMG_20220714_152113_1657808810909_1657809687675.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Check which hemisphere you're in first... :)
I have actually not long enquired about this with 3 separate friend in Australia..I'm not sure to be honest how or if there are any differences.
I know its no good using this method if you are at either of the Earth's poles.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have actually not long enquired about this with 3 separate friend in Australia..I'm not sure to be honest how or if there are any differences.
I know its no good using this method if you are at either of the Earth's poles.

Nope, makes no difference - in the Northern or Southern hemispheres the stars rise in the east and set in the west.

It's methods like the using your clock hands to tell where south is that need you to take the hemisphere you're in into account.

Reactions: airborne09 and Greg

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nope, makes no difference - in the Northern or Southern hemispheres the stars rise in the east and set in the west.

It's methods like the using your clock hands to tell where south is that need you to take the hemisphere you're in into account.
Thanks for the clarification ...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Sorry, I shouldn't be so flippant about something that's so important.

I meant that you really need to think about this but in the end it's just geometry.

Suppose that you're in England looking at the pole star.

The stars 'above' it are moving from right to left.

The start 'below' it are moving from left to right.

The stars 'left' of it are moving down.

The stars 'right' of it are moving up.

They're all actually going round in circles of course.

If you're using the OP's method, you need to choose your stars carefully.

I'd suggest it's a lot easier to become familiar with a few fairly reliable night-time pointers like Vega, Capella, Ursa Major and Cassiopeia

At least in the northern hemisphere, when you're comfortable with those, night-time navigation is a delight.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You're right of course; I just wasn't going to complicate the method by saying 'the rule only works with stars 'above' the polar axis' (North or South) :) But, if you know where the polar axis is, you don't need the method! We were always taught to only use rising and falling stars, i.e. find East or West.

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry, I shouldn't be so flippant about something that's so important.

I meant that you really need to think about this but in the end it's just geometry.

Suppose that you're in England looking at the pole star.

The stars 'above' it are moving from right to left.

The start 'below' it are moving from left to right.

The stars 'left' of it are moving down.

The stars 'right' of it are moving up.

They're all actually going round in circles of course.

If you're using the OP's method, you need to choose your stars carefully.

I'd suggest it's a lot easier to become familiar with a few fairly reliable night-time pointers like Vega, Capella, Ursa Major and Cassiopeia

At least in the northern hemisphere, when you're comfortable with those, night-time navigation is a delight.
I also noted that you shouldn't stick to just one method of natural navigation..especially if you aren't sure that the star you have chosen is giving you a reliable indication of direction.
Choosing more than one star in different parts of the sky is also an option.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE