North of the border.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Amazing shots Gary.
Bowfiddle rock isn't far from me. Seems to have been well photographed but I haven't made it up there yet for a shot.

The misty lake shots are amazing, did you use any filters for them?

Have you ever thought about doing a tutorial/video of how you edit a photo from start to finish? I would be curious to see what you do and why.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I used a Neutral Density filter to increase the exposure time which gave the water a smoother look.

It was raining at the time which broke up the reflections a bit.

Most of the work is done in the exposure and RAW conversion ( LightRoom ) which is difficult to show in a tutorial. In PhotoShop it's mainly dodging and burning done with the gradient tool ( Black or white to transparent grads.) on layers blended in Soft Light mode. There's not much more to it really.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
'Location, location' is a mantra difficult to contest but how often do we hear the word "timing" in the same context of such great pictures?

If you want to be a great landscape photographer in the 21st Century go buy a tent and put the Photoshop night class on hold.

K

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Timing is all important. Many of my best shots are taken within an hour of sundown/up. Others are timed around tides or the sun's position relative to the landscape.

The number of times I've heard someone say "You were lucky to get that shot" reminds me of the old maxim, "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

A few photographers have asked to go on shoots with me but back out when I suggest that we start driving at 3am in order to be on location before dawn. What do they expect? There really is no substitute in PhotoShop for standing around and waiting for the world to turn.

Llynau-Cregennen.jpg

This was a recent shot from Wales. I was on location an hour before dawn till two hours after. The only flash of sunlight lasted a few seconds, just long enough for me to get one shot, which was the only shot I have used from the shoot.

I guess I was just lucky...

I mainly use Lightroom for my processing which works just fine in most cases. I need to get my own Adobe PS/LR license as my work one has just run out.
When I started using Lightroom I didn't see the need to go back to Photoshop to do the majority of the photo editing.

If you are ever up in the North East of Scotland again give me a shout. Might be interested in getting up at 3am to go take photos. :) It's one thing I need to get out and do more, but need to get the right locations in mind.

One thing I read recently was that nature rarely likes to be photographed by strangers. Which is sort of true if you turn up 5 mins before sunrise and leave shortly after expecting a great shot having never visited the area before. But some people do get lucky.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I mainly use Lightroom for my processing which works just fine in most cases. I need to get my own Adobe PS/LR license as my work one has just run out.
When I started using Lightroom I didn't see the need to go back to Photoshop to do the majority of the photo editing.

If you are ever up in the North East of Scotland again give me a shout. Might be interested in getting up at 3am to go take photos. :) It's one thing I need to get out and do more, but need to get the right locations in mind.

One thing I read recently was that nature rarely likes to be photographed by strangers. Which is sort of true if you turn up 5 mins before sunrise and leave shortly after expecting a great shot having never visited the area before. But some people do get lucky.

Certainly will give you a call if I'm there again.

Adobe have a good deal on the licenses for Ps and Lr at the moment. Don't know how long it will last though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE